PDA

View Full Version : Automatic hubs on 2003 GU STL 3.0 l auto

gilmeister
11th August 2015, 04:23 PM
My auto hubs on my Nissan try to engage on their own. Have to pull over and when I come to a stop they clunk in or out. I'm not sure. I have removed them repacked wheel bearings lightly greased hubs and replaced them. Went well for a week and now same old problem. I would appreciate it if somebody could help. Regards Gilly.

JME_GU
11th August 2015, 07:38 PM
There are some people on here who think the auto hubs are great and just need maintenance. I disagree, just bin them and buy manual locking hubs, they are handy so you can use low range when you are backing a trailer too.

You can use either GQ manual locking hubs or AVM aftermarket hubs (get the red 'high performance' model). I don't know about the GQ hubs, but the AVM hubs just need to remove the six allen bolts, lubricate and bolt in the new hubs (using loctite on the bolts).

mudski
11th August 2015, 07:42 PM
I'd use the oem auto hubs, converted to manuals though, over AVM hubs any day. Thats just me though...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
11th August 2015, 07:52 PM
My auto hubs on my Nissan try to engage on their own. Have to pull over and when I come to a stop they clunk in or out. I'm not sure. I have removed them repacked wheel bearings lightly greased hubs and replaced them. Went well for a week and now same old problem. I would appreciate it if somebody could help. Regards Gilly.

Speaking from a GQ owner with auto locking hubs,, nothing wrong with them until they do fail and I done the same as mudski, I just converted them over. No need 2 bin them and get new manual ones

Welcome 2 the forum

Dhuck
11th August 2015, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Brad_GU9
11th August 2015, 09:49 PM
For me, ditching the auto locking hubs for Manual ones is one of my absolute favourite mods.... Low Range 2WD is terrific in a large 4WD that doesn't produce a heap of torque at low RPM. Reversing trailers, especially up hill etc is sweet. I can idle up hills in low range on the hard stuff now with no dramas. Oh and the low range 2WD with rear locker engaged provides for some fun too. :driving2:

Rock Trol
12th August 2015, 03:05 PM
For me, ditching the auto locking hubs for Manual ones is one of my absolute favourite mods.... Low Range 2WD is terrific in a large 4WD that doesn't produce a heap of torque at low RPM. Reversing trailers, especially up hill etc is sweet. I can idle up hills in low range on the hard stuff now with no dramas. Oh and the low range 2WD with rear locker engaged provides for some fun too. :driving2:

x2.
It's easy to reverse in 2 low. No need to ride the clutch, especially when towing. If 4 wheeling you don't need to get in and out all the time as when in 2wd you can drive on sealed roads with hubs locked. If you have front auto locker you can also release one wheel if needed on side slope. Manual hubs are much more versatile in my opinion.

blocko05
12th August 2015, 08:32 PM
hi mate and welcome to the forum

Clunk
18th August 2015, 12:29 AM
g'day Gilly, welcome aboard

threedogs
18th August 2015, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum,
jump in anytime and enjoy

growler2058
30th August 2015, 04:58 PM
Gday Gilly welcome aboard mate. Gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice