PDA

View Full Version : Old Owner, New Member!

Roller2
11th August 2015, 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I've finally got around to joining up to the Patrol forum, even though I've been following it for a number of years. Can't say I'm new to Patrols; bought our first one new, an MQ 3.3 diesel shorty back in 1982 and did 140K's of heavy boat towing back in the days when it was acceptable to drop down to 1st gear on some of the steeper hills on the highway. But the old MQ never missed a beat and I sold it seven years later for $2K for than I paid new. And yeah, always did my own servicing & maintenance, not that it gave any trouble at all.
After that, went to the other side and bought a 60 series turbo (from family) which gave good service for a total of 240K.
Then went back to Patrol in 2004 and bought a new GU111 TD42Ti wagon. As before, have always serviced it myself from new and it's been a great unit. This vehicle is used 90% for towing our 3500kg boat or 2400kg caravan so it does get a bit of a work out. So far have done just under 110K's in it without any problems (until now!). Have made a few minor mods to the engine; blanked the EG?? thing, added a 3 inch exhaust, larger top mount intercooler, and recently had Berrima Diesel do their full fuel service (excellent results!). However, a couple of days ago the GU refused to start leaving me a bit perplexed as to the cause. After quite a bit of checking, research and searching the net (including this forum), I've concluded that the CSOLU (coded solenoid device) attached to the fuel cut solenoid valve on the injector pump is at fault. This device is controlled by the NATS immobiliser system. At the moment the vehicle is with Mr Nissan who supposedly will connect their scan tool to the vehicle and maybe confirm my own findings. If that is the case, I'll probably take it to Rankin Diesel (Melbourne) who say they've disabled the CSOLU device for others and operated the fuel cut solenoid direct from the ignition circuit.
Has anyone got any thoughts on my proposed actions? I should tackle the job myself but just a bit shy about removing the injector pump and upsetting the good work of Berrima Diesel.
Cheer to all, Ian G.

gaddy
11th August 2015, 06:40 PM
Common 4.2 problem , Diesel Australia in brisbane $250 , and the pump does not need to be removed ,

Dhuck
11th August 2015, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

BROWNY42
11th August 2015, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Hopefully you get the issue sorted

threedogs
12th August 2015, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the Forum mate , yeah hard to kill the mighty 3.3.
Anyway jump in anytime and enjoy, as for your dilemma post it up
in the mechanican section, plenty of clued up 4.2 guys here.

4bye4
12th August 2015, 02:16 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate.

Rock Trol
12th August 2015, 03:09 PM
Welcome on board mate.

blocko05
12th August 2015, 08:30 PM
hi mate and welcome to the forum

MEGOMONSTER
17th August 2015, 09:08 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Clunk
18th August 2015, 12:10 AM
welcome to the forum Ian

growler2058
30th August 2015, 05:06 PM
Gday Ian welcome aboard mate. Gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice