PDA

View Full Version : Is a GU brake master an upgrade for the GQ

Bloodyaussie
11th August 2015, 09:34 AM
Ok there will be the usual replies here but wanted to know if this is something that is done as an upgrade or is there no difference.

I feel like I have a booster vacuum leak and one of the reasons I have come to this conclusion is in reverse my brakes hardly work (mainly on hills) , there are other symptoms as well.

I am also looking into the braided lines and have to fit new pads in the rear... while I am at it clean up the rear calipers and sliders.

Also wanted opinions on this.... I have no brakes in reverse but while coming down the mountain hwy my back brakes get stupidly hot.

My rear pads are nearly worn out but the disc looks like is in very good condition with no hard wearing at all?

Winnie
11th August 2015, 09:53 AM
Also wanted opinions on this.... I have no brakes in reverse but while coming down the mountain hwy my back brakes get stupidly hot.

Mine was the same and the reason was the front brakes were not working correctly.

Bloodyaussie
11th August 2015, 10:23 AM
Mine was the same and the reason was the front brakes were not working correctly.

And what was done to fix

mudski
11th August 2015, 10:27 AM
Take your car in to someone like Darby's or who ever and get a vacuum test done. Then atleast you will know if its the vacuum side. Is the spring that goes from the diff to the bias valve on the chassis at 90 degrees to the brackets on both ends of the spring?
As for the master cylinder. I'm not sure if they will fit, plus there is two different cylinder sizes on the GU's. 25.40mm and 26.99mm.

Edit : The GQ master cylinder is 2 bolt mount and the GU is 4 bolt mount....

Winnie
11th August 2015, 10:31 AM
And what was done to fix

Sticky front calipers. This was when I replaced them with the twin piston and braided lines.

mudski
11th August 2015, 11:13 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31387-PATROL-Y60-GQ-1988-1997-%28Disc-Disc%29-with-3-INCH-LIFT-SAFEBRAKE-Performance-Lines

Might be if some help...

Bloodyaussie
11th August 2015, 11:30 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31387-PATROL-Y60-GQ-1988-1997-%28Disc-Disc%29-with-3-INCH-LIFT-SAFEBRAKE-Performance-Lines

Might be if some help...

Which bit??

mudski
11th August 2015, 11:36 AM
The brake lines. like you asked me about this morning...

Bloodyaussie
11th August 2015, 11:43 AM
The brake lines. like you asked me about this morning...

Yeah i know about this mob and have made comments recently in this thread.

I have a mate who makes braided brake hose and comes to your house for less so think i will ask him.

mudski
11th August 2015, 11:46 AM
Ah! You have another "guy".... ;) just make sure his are ADR compliant. Last thing you want is to have a stack, and find out they're not, then your in the poo...

Bloodyaussie
11th August 2015, 12:43 PM
Ah! You have another "guy".... ;) just make sure his are ADR compliant. Last thing you want is to have a stack, and find out they're not, then your in the poo...

No issues there... very professional. Did most of my race bikes.

Now through all of this my original question has not been answered??

threedogs
11th August 2015, 02:14 PM
Take it down to Hoppers Stoppers they can get anything to stop, and stop well
cant stuff around with your brakes imo

billyj
11th August 2015, 06:59 PM
mine used to be the same, was sticky pistons and slides on the front calipers, 3 of the 4 pistons wouldnt move if the pedal was pumped with the caliper removed.

have the calipers reco'd and then bleed the thing properly, they are a complete bitch to get fully bled. took about 3 litres of fluid, gravity bleeding, pumping and vac bleeder attempts to finally get all the air out

if the rears are working really hard it could even be a bad master cylinder that is bypassing internally

mudski
11th August 2015, 07:38 PM
No issues there... very professional. Did most of my race bikes.

Now through all of this my original question has not been answered??
Yes it has. I answered it. The gq master cylinder wont fit. Two bolt mount to four bolt.
Have you ever changed the master cylinder since having the car. Maybe it just needs to be changed. Get a good pbr one. Nissan ones are no better and way over priced.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

nissannewby
11th August 2015, 07:46 PM
$140us for genuine.

liftlid
12th August 2015, 09:06 AM
It's a GQ thing. you will spend $100's trying to get your brakes to work better and then go 4x4 in mud and it will be back to the same crap brakes.
Before I swapped GU brakes into mine I spent more money than a GU diff is worth trying to fix My GQ brakes.

nissannewby
12th August 2015, 10:21 AM
Hydroboost?

mudski
12th August 2015, 07:38 PM
It's a GQ thing. you will spend $100's trying to get your brakes to work better and then go 4x4 in mud and it will be back to the same crap brakes.
Before I swapped GU brakes into mine I spent more money than a GU diff is worth trying to fix My GQ brakes.
Out of curiosity Gary. What was involved in going across to GU brakes?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

liftlid
13th August 2015, 09:35 AM
Out of curiosity Gary. What was involved in going across to GU brakes? Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk I swapped out the whole axle as my GQ one was bent, this also gave me the bigger CVs , so I don't bother carting spare cv now. You may need to run 16 inch rims depending on the offset you want, I'm running GQ master cyl still

mudski
13th August 2015, 01:36 PM
I swapped out the whole axle as my GQ one was bent, this also gave me the bigger CVs , so I don't bother carting spare cv now. You may need to run 16 inch rims depending on the offset you want, I'm running GQ master cyl still

Say if you wanted to run a GU master cylinder, you would need to use the GU booster too. Wondering if the booster would mount up to a GQ. Not sure on what bore size the GQ m/cyl is but the gu's have 25.40mm and 26.99mm. But the cost for all that hydro might be the go...

liftlid
13th August 2015, 07:03 PM
Say if you wanted to run a GU master cylinder, you would need to use the GU booster too. Wondering if the booster would mount up to a GQ. Not sure on what bore size the GQ m/cyl is but the gu's have 25.40mm and 26.99mm. But the cost for all that hydro might be the go...
I believe you loose pedal feel if the master cylinder bore is bigger than it needs to be