PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 advice

alterastro
9th August 2015, 07:48 PM
Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice.... I'm in the UK and have a lovely little 2.8 shorty. A friend of mine is selling his LWB 2003 4.8 and I'm sorely tempted. The 4.8 was never sold over here and this is an import that he's had for years and as far as I know is one of the only ones in the country. It has been lpg converted. So before I jump in and buy it, I thought I'd ask you experts on here some top tips about this engine. Is it a good one? Weaknesses? Problems etc? Is it a good engine?! Is the lpg conversion a good or bad thing?

There is also a 4.2TD for sale which also wasn't ever sold here. Is that better or worse?

And no, fuel consumption isn't really an issue for me :-)

Thanks

Nick

Bigcol
9th August 2015, 08:37 PM
depends on if your towing mate, or doing long distances
the TD42 would be ideal for that

the 4.8 is thirsty, but you get a shed load of power as well
also depends on the LPG system you are running - and also your CO out put for your MOT.

as I have said in another post - I have had 4 Gas powered vehicles, and do not have a problem with them - others dont like them because of the "dual fuel" problems
if you tune it for Gas - runs like crap on petrol because the timing is way out
if you tune it for Petrol, runs like crap on gas because the timing is out

depends on your driving style, distance traveled and if you are towing

cheers

Clunk
9th August 2015, 08:54 PM
If fuel consumption isnt an issue, And even though I'm not a fan of duel fuel, I'd be leaning towards the 4.8 you'll have less issues with the MOTs emissions testing ..... and living in the UK you're never that far from a petrol station anyway ;)........ what extra has been done to the engine?

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 09:07 PM
As Clarkson says, POWEEEEEERRR (4.8).

alterastro
9th August 2015, 09:38 PM
Lol thanks guys. As far as I know, apart from the lpg conversion, nothing has been done to the engine. Is there anything that should be done? Are these engines 'bomb proof' or do they have their issues?

I must admit I'm leaning towards Pooowwweeerrrr although having said that, after the 2.8, the TD42 will feel like Pooowwweeerrrr!

It's quite a nice spec, winch bumper and winch, front Lokka, 2inch OME lift etc. oh, I'm talking myself into it now!

Cheers

Nick

alterastro
9th August 2015, 09:49 PM
I forgot to mention... There is also quite a nicely spec'd 3.0 for sale. It's a bit overpriced, but similar price to the 4.8 and 4.2. But a couple of years newer and the newer model. Not keen on the 3.0 as I want more Pooowwweeerrrr, but what do you think? http://forum.fourwheeldriveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=18433

Nick

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 10:08 PM
If the mileage is similar then either of the two big motors will be a better buy. However, do you want an auto or manual diesel? The 3 litre looks quite nice but I am not sure what happened to the steel loops on the ARB bull bar. Out of the three motors the 3 litre is the one that historically has had the most issues. The other two have reputations of being bulletproof.

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 10:12 PM
Just looking at the 2005 3 litre SVE you posted. We don't get that model here. There seems to be a GPS or DVD in the dash (between the 2 air vents). I am not sure if out TDI version has that, or maybe I have just never seen one before. Are the others of a similar trim level?

alterastro
9th August 2015, 10:27 PM
No, the other two are the earlier model (look like my shortie in my avatar). From 2005 there was a facelift (new model) as per the link with squarer arches and redesigned dash, most with sat nav.

The TD42 has 89,000 miles and the 4.8 just 65,000 😀

I would have preferred a manual, but all three are auto and beggars can't be choosers! (Is the auto a good box btw?)

Nick

Rock Trol
9th August 2015, 11:02 PM
The 4 speed is known to be reliable and very strong. Some people say its a bit slow in shifting but you can get aftermarket valve bodies (Nomad brand) that speeds the shifts up.
We don't get TD4.2 autos in Australia. I wonder from which country it was imported?

SpecialDave
10th August 2015, 12:12 AM
I've no problem with my dual fuel 02 4.8 litre maximum kilowatts power plant. Let's say your driving along feeling all manly in your man truck with a bunch of other men in what they call their men trucks and the occasional woman in her woman truck.

You all approach the same enormous, muddy, long, steep - very steep hill...

You all set off and it become apparent that you are in fact in one of the more capable man trucks...

You pass all the stalled vws, suvs and x5's etc

You pass all of the jeeps now, several Volvos, and are amongst the 4+ litre group...

So this is when you shine....

You plant your foot and 3 tonne of man carrying machine lurches forwards with a grumble, the v8s sound more manly but are finding it difficult to get that power and weight matched and into the wheels, the diesels are in touch but falling behind- in fact you now find yourself basically leading the exceptions being merc g wagons and the like....

So you are now the manliest man based on affordable man trucks with power.

4.8 is awesome fun and they are truly thirsty. I'm going through some dramas with mine but they are the result of dodgy service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk