PDA

View Full Version : one for the twin fuel tank guys

Irish
9th August 2015, 06:44 PM
Howdy,

For those of you who have both the standard and long range tanks in your GQ, and are running an external transfer pump, where did you mount it?

I'm doing mine and I'm have yet to decide where to put it.

AB
9th August 2015, 06:47 PM
Winnie and I mounted ours up in the rear quarter panel behind the fuel cap/neck area.

It works good and the plastic cover under the wheel arch makes it easy to install and reasonably well protected.

liftlid
9th August 2015, 06:51 PM
Mine is bolted to the floor above the diff

Irish
9th August 2015, 06:57 PM
Winnie and I mounted ours up in the rear quarter panel behind the fuel cap/neck area.

It works good and the plastic cover under the wheel arch makes it easy to install and reasonably well protected.

What kind of pump did you go with, I decided to keep it as fool(me) proof as possible and went with a Goss universal one similar to this: http://www.goss.com.au/products/GE239.

Only problem is they reckon it can't be more than 30cm higher than the tank pickup, so I'm probably going to have to fab up some kind of bracket.

Winnie
9th August 2015, 07:00 PM
We used a small facet pump, they are great. Like Andy said too we just cable tied them up under that flap, easy to get to now for servicing if needed

Rossco
9th August 2015, 07:12 PM
Yeah mines bolted to the body near the chassis at the top of the wheel archie bit. Usually works great but tried it today and didn't seem to be working. Grrrr. Got it from Patrol apart, supposed to be a bloody good one, was making noise but no flow. I'll check the in line filter first. . .

AB
9th August 2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah mines bolted to the body near the chassis at the top of the wheel archie bit. Usually works great but tried it today and didn't seem to be working. Grrrr. Got it from Patrol apart, supposed to be a bloody good one, was making noise but no flow. I'll check the in line filter first. . . Have you ever changed the filter?

Mine had a bit of crap in it only after a dozen transfers from when installing the second hand tank. Was hard to get the tank super clean with the baffles but it's all clean now after the corrugations on that Simpson trip ;)

Irish, you might still be ok with 30cm of head. If you've already bought it give it a whirl anyway. If you can get your money back go the facet pump mate, they are perfect for this application being simple internal components, self priming with something like 3m of dry fuel lift.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

billyj
9th August 2015, 09:55 PM
efi sender and intank pump in mine

Rossco
9th August 2015, 10:51 PM
Have you ever changed the filter?

Mine had a bit of crap in it only after a dozen transfers from when installing the second hand tank. Was hard to get the tank super clean with the baffles but it's all clean now after the corrugations on that Simpson trip ;)

Irish, you might still be ok with 30cm of head. If you've already bought it give it a whirl anyway. If you can get your money back go the facet pump mate, they are perfect for this application being simple internal components, self priming with something like 3m of dry fuel lift.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php
Nah, never changed it. Yeah suspicions are on the filter my tanks the same gave it the best clean i could but still a bit flakey. . . Another job for the list! !

liftlid
10th August 2015, 09:09 AM
Unless you keep some fuel in the tank you will get rust clogging the filter