PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

p8ence
9th August 2015, 01:03 PM
Have a slight noise in my engine, sort of sounds like a small tractor.. I'm fearing a rebuild..

A 3.0ZD sort of sounds like its coming from the back of the engine..nslight vibration when driving.. Have not loss any compression or power, not using more oil or fuel than normal, not smokey... Anything I can look at? Or has anyone experienced this? Sort of like a slight knocking at a fast pace.. Hard to discribe...

4bye4
9th August 2015, 01:09 PM
Does the speed vary with engine revs? Also does it get louder and softer depending on revs, or when first started compared to after a long run?

threedogs
9th August 2015, 01:10 PM
Hi mate need more info is it a manual?
Check all the controll arm bushes with a pry bar you may have a flogged out bush?
For noise it may be heat sheild on the dump pipe but that wouldnt cause vibrations
If you lift the bonnet can you hear it better?

p8ence
9th August 2015, 01:54 PM
Does the speed vary with engine revs? Also does it get louder and softer depending on revs, or when first started compared to after a long run?

Seems to be consistant does not get louder or softer and revs go up or down the noise goes up and down. its sort of like the old holden tapper noise is the best i can describe it..

p8ence
9th August 2015, 01:56 PM
Hi mate need more info is it a manual?
Check all the controll arm bushes with a pry bar you may have a flogged out bush?
For noise it may be heat sheild on the dump pipe but that wouldnt cause vibrations
If you lift the bonnet can you hear it better?

Yes manual, 2009 common rail...
Louder if you lift the bonnet, looked over all my bushes and they look ok..

4bye4
9th August 2015, 02:03 PM
Might be of help.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30-di-engine-3-litre-71/help-appreciated-268785/

p8ence
10th August 2015, 09:22 AM
Might be of help.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30-di-engine-3-litre-71/help-appreciated-268785/

Thanks mate.. Will get her down to the 4x4 doc this week to see what it is. Could be a combination of anything..

Cheers..

threedogs
10th August 2015, 02:47 PM
did you check the egr pipe they are known to crack and
make a noise when cold and ok when warmed up