PDA

View Full Version : Squeak ??

gordo1978
9th August 2015, 12:13 AM
I have a 2011 3.0 patrol. Was recently on holiday up at monkey Mia and after quite a bit of red dirt, mud, sand etc the engin5has developed a squeak. Its not the typical fan belt squeal and is only there when engine is cold. So after 5 minutes it stops. Any ideas please.

Hodge
9th August 2015, 07:49 AM
I have a 2011 3.0 patrol. Was recently on holiday up at monkey Mia and after quite a bit of red dirt, mud, sand etc the engin5has developed a squeak. Its not the typical fan belt squeal and is only there when engine is cold. So after 5 minutes it stops. Any ideas please.
That my friend would be your belt tensioner idler pulley. Very common to squeak and be annoying when they cop a bit of water / dirt.

Hodge
9th August 2015, 07:52 AM
You can get a new genuine Nissan one. Or have a go at changing the bearing your self. Just do a Google search or search this forum. A lot of info on it.

threedogs
9th August 2015, 10:22 AM
As above or my squeak ended up being the alternator clutch bearing

gordo1978
9th August 2015, 03:09 PM
Is it something I can keep driving safely with? can I grease it up or will it need replacing? thanks guys

threedogs
9th August 2015, 03:35 PM
It may and this is a long shot ,but common to the CRD is a leaking or cracked EGR pipe
This will squeal when cold and disappear once its warmed up.

happygu
9th August 2015, 03:40 PM
It could be a warped exhaust manifold ... that has happened to quite a few CRD's.

I haven't had the manifold problem, so cant tell you what is sounds like, but do have a squeaky belt noise from water crossings and mud ... it too disappears after a little while, but you can tell it is belt noise

gordo1978
9th August 2015, 04:16 PM
When i started it up this morning it sounded slightly different. Went for a 20 minute drive and the noise didnt go away, but was alot less than when it was cold. I have blocked the egr, is it worth unblocking?

gordo1978
9th August 2015, 06:54 PM
I was finally able to locate exactly where the noise is coming from. It is the a/c compressor. I sprayed some water directly on it while under the car and the noise stopped immediately, then came back a couple minutes later. Are the bearings on that serviceable or am i up for new compressor?

Bacho86
12th December 2015, 06:36 PM
Well I've noticed a "belt squeal" noise when starting the patrol recently when cold, disappears after a couple mins so I was kinda ignoring it and putting it on the back burner.

The noise has gotten much louder and more regular last couple days, happening both when car is stationary and moving and hot/cold. Based on some light reading think I'm up for a new belt and possible tensioner pulley... Any suggestions and tricks or special tools required to get this done? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Gary
13th December 2015, 02:06 PM
I was finally able to locate exactly where the noise is coming from. It is the a/c compressor. I sprayed some water directly on it while under the car and the noise stopped immediately, then came back a couple minutes later. Are the bearings on that serviceable or am i up for new compressor?
From your description, I suspect that it is the clutch on the AC. Switch AC on/off to see if it changes. Any trash in the AC clutch will squeak