PDA

View Full Version : Oodnadatta

dpetersen
6th August 2015, 11:44 PM
G'day guys!
Lucky enough to be doing the Oodnadatta track on my way back to kings canyon next week.
My itenery is; Monday Melbourne to Mildura, Tuesday Mildura to Leigh Creek (big day), Wednesday Leigh Creek to Oodnadatta, Thursday Oodnadatta to Alice and Friday back out to kings.
Question for anyone who's done the Oodnadatta, I'm hopeful I should have enough time on Wednesday to do one of the tracks to lake Eyre. Which track should I take out of the Halligan bay track or the Level bay post track? I'm leaning towards the Halligan bay but your input would be much appreciated.
Will be traveling solo, towing my small tradies trailer and tyre pressure at 24psi. Did the Tanami earlier this year with same tyre pressure and trailer and everything held up really well. Only issue I had was a rock flicking up from the car and hitting the trailer and bouncing into the rear window. Will be fitting cardboard to the rear windows this time!
Thanks in advance guys!

threedogs
7th August 2015, 07:24 AM
Watch your speed,, stay safe ,
remember Billy rolled and he was going slow too.
Could velcro some perspex to the rear windows?

TPC
7th August 2015, 09:26 AM
The last time I went the Oodnadatta track was a lot smother than the Tanami. We ran 30 psi and between 5 of us had 1 puncture which was a screw that we probably picked up at William Creek.
Another problem we had was a rock hitting the fuel solenoid under a Cruiser and busting the fuel line off, he lost about 30l of diesel and had to block off the hose and could not run his aux tank for the Simpson crossing.
Can't help with the lake tracks as I have not done them, always seem to be in a hurry to get someware else.

dpetersen
7th August 2015, 10:18 AM
I've got some cardboard that I've cut to size that il duck tape to the windows and I've also fitted larger rear mudguards to limit the rocks as well :)

TimE
7th August 2015, 10:40 AM
The track out to Halligan Bay is about 70k and 60kph speed limit, pretty rough. You will not do Leigh Ck to Oodnadatta in a day if you intend any side tracks. There is a lot of history on the Oodnadatta and a lot of side tracks you should investigate, 3 days minimum.

threedogs
7th August 2015, 01:15 PM
The last time I went the Oodnadatta track was a lot smother than the Tanami. We ran 30 psi and between 5 of us had 1 puncture which was a screw that we probably picked up at William Creek.
Another problem we had was a rock hitting the fuel solenoid under a Cruiser and busting the fuel line off, he lost about 30l of diesel and had to block off the hose and could not run his aux tank for the Simpson crossing.
Can't help with the lake tracks as I have not done them, always seem to be in a hurry to get someware else.

Not bad picking up a screw that far inland you devil you pml

mudski
7th August 2015, 08:01 PM
I will be keen on how you go with this. We want to go out that way this time next year.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

TPC
7th August 2015, 08:24 PM
Not bad picking up a screw that far inland you devil you pml

They had built some new cabins at William Creek and I would say the builder probably left a few lying around.

Cuppa
9th August 2015, 10:00 PM
I've got some cardboard that I've cut to size that il duck tape to the windows and I've also fitted larger rear mudguards to limit the rocks as well :)

I’ve read that whilst cardboard is definitely better than nothing, that Corflute, the stuff real estate agents signs are made from, is more effective. A couple of pieces of foam stuck to it to keep a gap between cover & window stops the window getting scratched by the dust.

TimE
10th August 2015, 11:41 AM
A tourist died from exposure on halligan bay track a couple of years ago. Got their hired 4x4 bogged (in 2wd), couldnt get it out (in 2wd), so tried walking back to william creek. Didnt make it.

The woman who died was Caroline Grossmueller, she died on 12 December 1998. The vehicle was in 4wd, tyre pressures where the issue. The police who recovered the vehicle dug away some sand, dropped the tyre pressures and drove it out. Read a bit more about the story here (http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/73559/1998_Death_at_Halligans_Bay_-_Caroline_Grossmueller.aspx).