PDA

View Full Version : 4WD light

SKID
6th August 2015, 06:47 PM
I purchase a 2000 GU ST yesterday and didnt get around to testing every light etc until today, when I engage either hi4 or low4 the light on the dash doesnt come on, I have asked the people I bought it from if they knew if it was working or not. They said last time they went off road about 5 months ago it was, but when they did a heart transplant about 2 years ago they experienced what I am now. He said they took it to their mechanic and he really didnt touch anything and it started working, the mechanic said it must have been a loose connection or something, as they and their mechanic are a 5 hour drive from where I live I'm hoping some people on here amy be able to shed some light on what could be the cause and were to start looking. I've ordered a workshop manual for it so when it arrives will be able to get the multi meter out then.
is there a possible fuse?

Thanks in advance

ashmccormick
6th August 2015, 06:59 PM
Not familiar with the GU mate, but might be worth looking around the wiring underneath the car near the transfer case or gearbox for a start? might have got damaged somehow...

jay see
7th August 2015, 12:20 AM
Does it actually engage, do the front wheels turn. Could just be the light.

SKID
7th August 2015, 01:19 AM
Yes tested that side of things out 4wd is engaging just the light not displaying

threedogs
7th August 2015, 07:21 AM
There should be a switch on the gearbox or transfer case that will activate the light when 4wd is engaged
I would think its very visible, climb under with a torch and have a look, He may have just forgotten to plug it in,

EDIT Its also a good time to change most of the globes you may find they have worn the lead on the base flat.
Why not change to LED I did love the instant on/off effect

SpecialDave
11th August 2015, 12:22 AM
This is the back of the transfer case looking forwards on my GU chief - check the 4wd switch

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKID
19th August 2015, 12:54 PM
There should be a switch on the gearbox or transfer case that will activate the light when 4wd is engaged
I would think its very visible, climb under with a torch and have a look, He may have just forgotten to plug it in,

EDIT Its also a good time to change most of the globes you may find they have worn the lead on the base flat.
Why noy change to LED I did love the instant on/off effect

Will the 4wd switch out of my old GQ fit and work in the GU?

threedogs
19th August 2015, 01:17 PM
No idea but the gearbox's are similar so may have used the same plug from
previous models

SKID
28th October 2015, 12:22 PM
Went 4wding for the first time in this rig and after a couple of mumps the 4wd light started to work, and continued for the rest of the day, next morning was back to no 4wd light, had to go and find the track I broke my tail light on to find a bit that fell off my rear bar, 4wd light started working again, where under the car is the connector for the 4wd switch, i can trace it up the side of the transfer case but that's as far as I can follow it, if someone can tell me where the connector is I'll give it a good clean out with contact cleaner, and make sure its a firm fit.. Am assuming the fact that after some bumps when 4wding and the light starts to work it must be a back connection or something.. any advise appreciated...