PDA

View Full Version : td42t questions

blj007
6th August 2015, 04:18 PM
Hi all,had my gq for couple of months now,been out playing to see what I can do with and very happy with its abilities but have couple of questions maybe someone can help with.It has rebuilt black motor,m12 turbo,no inter cooler,4 row alloy radiater-can climb the Adelaide hills freeway in top gear @100kph,boost at 10.5 psi,exhaust temp at 350,water temp at 80.Previous owner has marked ex temp at 500 on gauge-would this be max or ideal temp?What would be a safe max boost psi?Not sure about intercooling,know the benefits but people say you do loose boost and need to weigh those benefits against the cost.What do people use,i know the crimped ones like zd30 use do leak eventually.All so can anyone give me the correct way to set the tappet clearance

89gqpatrol4x4
6th August 2015, 05:36 PM
hey mate, 500 would be max temp and you would want to back off. also personally i wouldn't run too much more boost without an intercooler

Winnie
6th August 2015, 06:15 PM
hey mate, 500 would be max temp and you would want to back off. also personally i wouldn't run too much more boost without an intercooler
No problem running more boost without the cooler, as long as you've got enough fuel otherwise there is not much point.
But then more fuel means higher exhaust temps and you can only go so high without then getting an intercooler

blj007
7th August 2015, 09:50 PM
thanks guys,previous ownerdidnt get it tuned properly after turbo fit so will get it on a dyno and be guided by that results

dakka1
28th August 2015, 12:08 PM
just as a side note i run a HT-18 (standard patrol turbo) and at 100kms mine only sits at 5 pounds and 350egt have a couple of mates with diff setups and all appear to be in the same range. non intercooled. the 10pound part doesnt sound right to me but egt seems ok. and i wouldnt run it for an extended period of time at 500egt

Cuppa
28th August 2015, 05:38 PM
thanks guys,previous owner didnt get it tuned properly after turbo fit so will get it on a dyno and be guided by that results

I’m no expert on these things but from your description & based on what my vehicle’s readings are I’d say that the previous owner has done a pretty good job with setting up your car for regular use.