PDA

View Full Version : GQ bearing damage?

ashmccormick
6th August 2015, 03:58 PM
Hi guys,

Its hard to see in the picture below, but I noticed this when I pulled out and cleaned my bearings, its bent up and scuffed at one point...

Now just a bit of background info, I recently fell victim to the Ti rim falling off club as I didn't re adjust my wheel nuts properly Bang Head thats why I am pulling the hub apart and replacing everything. I'm assuming the damage is due to that incident but just making sure it couldn't be due to something else? There was no play in the bearing after the incident, no strange noises or anything... Im just glad I took the time to inspect it all properly! I now also check my wheel nuts about 10 times a day haha!!

Ash

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2015, 09:00 PM
Nah I would not be refitting that mate, that's a bearing race! Can't believe it is deformed like that? I'd have thought it was machine steel or tensile? Replace would be my first thought.

nissannewby
6th August 2015, 09:07 PM
Nah I would not be refitting that mate, that's a bearing race! Can't believe it is deformed like that? I'd have thought it was machine steel or tensile? Replace would be my first thought.

That part that is bent is only the cage. Either way it is not in very good condition. It also looks like there has been contamination in there as the cage is marked all the way around its circumference.

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2015, 10:12 PM
It is so! I should have zoomed in further on the phone. Clearly Not the Race.

Shagged mate.

ashmccormick
6th August 2015, 10:30 PM
Yeh dont worry I sure as hell wasn't putting that back in! Just not seen a bearing come out like that before... Should have gotten a better picture but I was covered in grease! Job is all done now, replaced the bearings and races.

Cheers

dom14
7th August 2015, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,

Its hard to see in the picture below, but I noticed this when I pulled out and cleaned my bearings, its bent up and scuffed at one point...

Now just a bit of background info, I recently fell victim to the Ti rim falling off club as I didn't re adjust my wheel nuts properly Bang Head thats why I am pulling the hub apart and replacing everything. I'm assuming the damage is due to that incident but just making sure it couldn't be due to something else? There was no play in the bearing after the incident, no strange noises or anything... Im just glad I took the time to inspect it all properly! I now also check my wheel nuts about 10 times a day haha!!

Ash

That looks shocking. Must have happened when the hub hit the ground. I think the diff housing can also bend in such accidents.