PDA

View Full Version : Running from catch can to sump?

Bloodyaussie
5th August 2015, 09:17 AM
Recently I noticed a few people running the hose from there catch cans down to the sump below where the oil return is for the turbo..

Can any explain the difference to doing this as apposed to running it into the air intake before the turbo?

Sir Roofy
5th August 2015, 09:44 AM
60297I don't put dirty oil back in the sump I drain the catch can into a bottle from a tap under the car

Winnie
5th August 2015, 09:58 AM
60297I don't put dirty oil back in the sump I drain the catch can into a bottle from a tap under the car

Have you plumbed the vapours back into the intake?

Sir Roofy
5th August 2015, 10:40 AM
Have you plumbed the vapours back into the intake?

Yep sure did its a provent can

4bye4
5th August 2015, 10:57 AM
I suppose it could be said that the oil in the catch can is clean as it has been vapourised and condensed?

Winnie
5th August 2015, 11:38 AM
Yep sure did its a provent can

I think it's the vapours that Jonathan is talking about.

TheFlyingBadger
5th August 2015, 12:44 PM
Recently I noticed a few people running the hose from there catch cans down to the sump below where the oil return is for the turbo..

Can any explain the difference to doing this as apposed to running it into the air intake before the turbo?

The catch can should (normally) have 3 entry/exit points.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60299&stc=1

Having the catch can in place stops all of that nasty, oily air getting back into your inlet manifold and clogging it all up.

Some people choose to take the condensed air and feed it back into the sump (the provent needs an additional non-return valve if you do this), other people just put a tap on there and drain it occasionally.

Sir Roofy
5th August 2015, 01:38 PM
I suppose it could be said that the oil in the catch can is clean as it has been vapourised and condensed?

Could be but its usually black in the can and clean on the dip stick
why put black oil back in on top of clean oil

Hodge
5th August 2015, 09:06 PM
I'm with Roofy on this one. On my 3L patrol I had this setup. Catch the oil and dispose of it. Tap in the wheel arch.
The oil out of the can was black and thicker than the oil out of the sump at oil changes... Don't know why it is so.
To answer BA's original question.... Have no clue lol.

Stormtrooper
5th August 2015, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, where are you all mounting the Provent, I am having a bugger of a time finding a spot to put it

Hodge
5th August 2015, 09:31 PM
Hey guys, where are you all mounting the Provent, I am having a bugger of a time finding a spot to put it

This is how I mounted mine on the 3L. That little bracket holding it is just screwed onto one of the captive threads with a compatible bolt...
THat whole area was busy under my hood as the compressor and battery were there so limited for room. But made it work.
And the drain hose went down and under the wheel arch for easy draining.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60320&stc=1

blocko05
5th August 2015, 09:34 PM
I agree with Hodge and Roofy. Why put black oil back in. Best to drain it and dispose of it correctly.

Bloodyaussie
5th August 2015, 09:53 PM
I think it's the vapours that Jonathan is talking about.

Yes winnie... i was never talking about running the drain into the sump..

I will not be doing this as there are issues i now see.

nissannewby
5th August 2015, 10:01 PM
Gee you guys spend some money on catch cans. Stick the hose in one of your empties and zip tie it somewhere haha

Bloodyaussie
5th August 2015, 10:10 PM
Gee you guys spend some money on catch cans. Stick the hose in one of your empties and zip tie it somewhere haha

I was saying to mudski today that we used beer cans on our motorbikes... Japanese beer still have steel cans and were perfect.

I do know that my current set up is wrong and needs changing and will be sorted tomorrow while im doing my radiator.

nissannewby
5th August 2015, 10:12 PM
I was saying to mudski today that we used beer cans on our motorbikes... Japanese beer still have steel cans and were perfect.

I do know that my current set up is wrong and needs changing and will be sorted tomorrow while im doing my radiator.

I dont even run one on my ute. Just a length of hose that I stuck into the chassis rail. I am yet to even see a drop of oil after 4 years. And 3 of those at over 20psi of boost.