PDA

View Full Version : Swapping diffs GQ.

no eye deer
4th August 2015, 07:07 AM
Hey fellas,
just doing some research, before I start. have a 92 GQ, with twin spot brakes. Wanting to swap the diffs/housings from an 89 GQ.
The back diff is (I think) a straight swap. It has single spots, like the 92.
if I swap the front assembly over, are the 2 spot brakes/discs a straight swap onto the 89 assembly?
It'd save a bit of mucking around with diffs is all.

Mark

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2015, 11:30 AM
Winnie has just done this to his rig, check his build thread. I am certain that you can leave the diff in place, I am not sure f he had to swap out the swivel hub though? You will require the callipers and disks.

Winnie
4th August 2015, 11:35 AM
The only items you will need from your 92 diffs are, calipers, caliper bolts (twin pot ones are shorter), brake pads and the rotors.
Everything bolts straight up to the single piston diff.

The twin pot calipers are MILES better than the standard singles. I could not believe the difference.

no eye deer
5th August 2015, 06:08 AM
Yeah- I have a complete 89 patrol with disc rear end,and single pot fronts. I'm leaning towards removing whole rear diff assemblywith brakes. Theyre the same as my 92.
With the front, I'm wanting to change the whole assembly, and just attaching my discs and calipers. Also re-attaching the single pot brakes/discs to the 92 diff and replacing assembly into the 89. That sound right? Haha!

Mark