PDA

View Full Version : Which lift?

SiberianPatrol
4th August 2015, 03:20 AM
Need some advice on lift kits. Have 3 options available here where I am - OME, ToughDog, or IronMan.

The OME is of course the most expensive at ~$1500
IronMan & ToughDog ~$850-900

I'm needing something that will hold up well to extreme temperature differences (read really, really cold). It's not extreme off-roading but it is rougher roads in varying temps and conditions.

Which is the best option where I won't want to change them out within a year of having them? Is the OME worth the 600 extra or are one of the other brands just as good?

Rock Trol
4th August 2015, 03:31 PM
Hard to say as we just don't get the cold that you do in Siberia. My Patrol came with OME suspension when I bought it and I was not that impressed with the springs. They sagged heavily with 100,000 kms on the clock. They were also very stiff and you could feel every bump on the road.

I dont one know too much about the other two but a friend has had Tough Dog for about 3 years and is really happy with the set up.

threedogs
4th August 2015, 05:56 PM
Thats $600 that could be spent else where,
Do you have a warranty with the lower two.

SiberianPatrol
4th August 2015, 07:52 PM
Thats $600 that could be spent else where,
Do you have a warranty with the lower two.

I'd have to go to the shop and ask about the warranty. Nothing is mentioned on the website.

The Ironman and ToughDog are both foam cell shocks, OME is gas. Don't know much about the foam cell shocks - how long they last.

1999 GU RD28Ti turbo diesel; manual transmission; 33" Khumo mudders; ... more mods on the way ;)

SiberianPatrol
4th August 2015, 07:54 PM
Hard to say as we just don't get the cold that you do in Siberia. My Patrol came with OME suspension when I bought it and I was not that impressed with the springs. They sagged heavily with 100,000 kms on the clock. They were also very stiff and you could feel every bump on the road.

I dont one know too much about the other two but a friend has had Tough Dog for about 3 years and is really happy with the set up.

Interesting. Seems like with OME you either love them or hate them. At this point I'll probably go with one of the cheaper setups for now and see how they work. $600 is a considerable savings that could go towards more needed things (fuel tank heater, extra insulation, etc)

1999 GU RD28Ti turbo diesel; manual transmission; 33" Khumo mudders; ... more mods on the way ;)

happygu
4th August 2015, 09:29 PM
My preference would be

OME
IRONMAN
TOUGH DOGS

but I have never used the tough dogs, and only have bad stories from guys I used to go away with 10 or more years ago ... the other stories since then have been much more positive ( some of the Australian Tests have had them as the best value and the winner in head to head comparos )

Patrol'n
5th August 2015, 01:15 AM
I can't comment on the OME or Ironman as I haven't used them, but I have a 2 inch tough dog lift, it was a little harsh on bumps at first, particularly on corrugations but a few thousand k's down the track, it is brilliant, comfortable and works well with everything I have used my truck for, coastal beach and tracks, rock climbs, clay and mud etc.

Not sure on cold weather performance much either though, since Western Australia doesn't tend to do cold...

SiberianPatrol
5th August 2015, 01:17 AM
Just found another option for order here - Dobinsons. Same price point as the TD and Ironman. Anyone have any experience with Dobinsons springs or shocks?

Also, what other items would I need to consider buying in conjunction with this 2" lift kit? Castor correctors, steering damper, new pan hard rods?

Rock Trol
5th August 2015, 09:57 AM
I have only used Pedders Trak Ryder foam cell shocks but they did not last. Three years and 30000km. About to swap them out for Terrain Tamer shocks which are similar to Lovells. I am going gas from now on. That's just my experience with foam cell. The other brands might make them better.

I have never used Dobinsons but they are popular with generally good reviews.

Patrol'n
5th August 2015, 08:39 PM
My lift required springs, shocks and steering damper. I didn't need castor correction bushes, although my castor reading went slightly negative, it drives well. That said most people I've heard from did use castor correction bushes.

I am considering extended sway bar links, (with a rear disconnect) but it works fine the way it is on my truck at least.

I was told by one suspension place I had to have an adjustable drag link, and new panhard rod if I wanted my steering wheel to be straight. Turned out that all that was required was to take the wheel off and adjust by one tooth, and it sits perfectly straight! Glad I didn't use that workshop...

liftlid
6th August 2015, 08:27 AM
My lift required springs, shocks and steering damper. I didn't need castor correction bushes, although my castor reading went slightly negative, it drives well. That said most people I've heard from did use castor correction bushes. I am considering extended sway bar links, (with a rear disconnect) but it works fine the way it is on my truck at least. I was told by one suspension place I had to have an adjustable drag link, and new panhard rod if I wanted my steering wheel to be straight. Turned out that all that was required was to take the wheel off and adjust by one tooth, and it sits perfectly straight! Glad I didn't use that workshop...
When you lift your truck the axle is moved to one side, to correct this you need a longer p/ard and drag link. Pulling off the wheel leaves the steering box in a turned position, how badly this is noticed depends on how high you lift the truck

Clarkie
6th August 2015, 10:28 AM
Need some advice on lift kits. Have 3 options available here where I am - OME, ToughDog, or IronMan.

The OME is of course the most expensive at ~$1500
IronMan & ToughDog ~$850-900

I'm needing something that will hold up well to extreme temperature differences (read really, really cold). It's not extreme off-roading but it is rougher roads in varying temps and conditions.

Which is the best option where I won't want to change them out within a year of having them? Is the OME worth the 600 extra or are one of the other brands just as good?

I have had both Ironman and tough dog within the past 5 years. Not much in it but i would choose tough dog. Tough dog to my knowledge just copied rancho so maybe research how goodbthey are.
I would recommend adjustable shocks from tough dog as they make a huge difference when road/track surface changes along with vehicle load.

SiberianPatrol
6th August 2015, 11:31 PM
Ok, so I figured I needed to outline my intended use of the Patrol to better narrow down exactly what I need/want in a lift kit, so here goes.

I will be hauling ~200kg of stuff a couple of times a year in extreme cold on the winter roads with varying surfaces, rutting, etc. (approximately 2700km round-trip)

Minus these 2-4 times hauling supplies on the rough winter road, I will mainly be driving on dirt roads (varying levels of smoothness) in a small community, hauling small loads here and there with passengers. Could be considered light off-roading.

So, with all of that in play, I need something durable enough to haul a load in extreme conditions, but comfortable to ride in when empty.

Some places I've read have recommended going with good solid springs, a foam-cell shock on the front, and gas on the rear. Other places have said go adjustable shocks all the way around or just in the rear. I need some advice from other more experienced in this. What would be the optimal setup for this scenario?

jay see
7th August 2015, 12:09 AM
Always better to give as much information as possible.

I'm not expert......

So I would send that information to as many suspension/4x4 places as you can.
Asking about warranty and maybe even to suggest two set ups.
Then follow it up with a phone call to the ones that you like.

Clarkie
7th August 2015, 07:17 AM
Toughdog/Ironman & OME with light (0-200/300kg pending brand) shocks in my opinion would be suitable. Adjustable shocks just gives your suspension increased ability to function pending on payload and road surface. Which it sounds like you need. The price difference on adjustables is negligible so i would get them all round.

Hope it all works out