PDA

View Full Version : In the market for new GQ TD42 radiator, advice appreciated!

ashmccormick
31st July 2015, 10:35 AM
Hi guys,

I'm about to freshen up the cooling system on the old GQ with a new radiator, recently did a new water pump and thermo fan. I am looking for a bit of help deciding which way to go with this. Its a TD42, currently NA but looking to turbo it in the near future, and I will be driving from Kimberley down WA coast and around to Brisbane fully loaded at the end of the year so need a little more confidence with cooling ability than my current set up.

Will a brand new genuine radiator cope with extra load of a turbo down the line? Or go for a good aftermarket option like Aussie Dessert Coolers? Not looking for a cheap ebay job as engine cooling is an absolute priority in my eyes! I know there have been a few threads about this but I just want to know if anyone has had any success or horror's etc. in this area recently...

Ash

Winnie
31st July 2015, 10:42 AM
I had the stocko Nissan one for a while and temp gauge ran at a little above half on the gauge most of the time.
When I broke that radiator I got a copper/brass 3 core HD replacement from Natrad, temp gauge now sits on about 1/3 on the gauge all of the time.

Mine is a TD42 turbo, GQ.

ashmccormick
31st July 2015, 11:19 AM
Cheers Winnie. Yeh mine sits above half also, I like the idea of keeping it copper/brass as its fixable out bush if necessary! How does it go when ambient temperatures are high?

Winnie
31st July 2015, 11:24 AM
Cheers Winnie. Yeh mine sits above half also, I like the idea of keeping it copper/brass as its fixable out bush if necessary! How does it go when ambient temperatures are high?
It's great mate, on a stinking hot day flying up a long hill it can get to a touch over half but that's it

liftlid
31st July 2015, 11:45 AM
I have always run a 2 core which gets removed and cleaned every year did Kimberly not towing with a turbo never got to half, just replaced after 12 years runs now at 1/3 up hills on the Hume hwy.

ashmccormick
31st July 2015, 11:53 AM
It's great mate, on a stinking hot day flying up a long hill it can get to a touch over half but that's it

Nice one Winnie! Cheers for your help, will speak to Natrad for sure.

ashmccormick
31st July 2015, 11:55 AM
I have always run a 2 core which gets removed and cleaned every year did Kimberly not towing with a turbo never got to half, just replaced after 12 years runs now at 1/3 up hills on the Hume hwy.

Cheers liftlid, by 2 core do you mean just the Nissan OE or is it an aftermarket 2 core?

liftlid
1st August 2015, 10:18 AM
Cheers liftlid, by 2 core do you mean just the Nissan OE or is it an aftermarket 2 core?
Local natrad supplied

my third 256
2nd August 2015, 07:37 AM
be careful with alloy ones as you can set up electrollisis and will eat out the radiator in 6 m0nths if it isnt insulated well