PDA

View Full Version : 4" Snorkel Template anyone???

AB
29th March 2011, 02:36 PM
Well I'm about to take the plunge and cut a 4" hole into Bluey this weekend...lol

Understand that the hole needs to be severly elongated to allow the rubber elbow to fit in and I understand the more horizontal you want the elbow/snorkel to sit the more elongation of the hole.

Has anyone done this before and most importantly has anyone got a template for some reason?

I'm not liking my chances of someone having one but just throwing it out there...I think the safest way is to slowly work the hole bigger until it all fits.

May the lord give me strength, wisdom and a steady hand this weekend...LMAO

growler2058
29th March 2011, 02:46 PM
Well I'm about to take the plunge and cut a 4" hole into Bluey this weekend...lol

Understand that the hole needs to be severly elongated to allow the rubber elbow to fit in and I understand the more horizontal you want the elbow/snorkel to sit the more elongation of the hole.

Has anyone done this before and most importantly has anyone got a template for some reason?

I'm not liking my chances of someone having one but just throwing it out there...I think the safest way is to slowly work the hole bigger until it all fits.

Mate I'll have a look in the shed this arvo, i installed my safari myself and it came with a template, just not sure what i did with it. I'm a bit of a shockin hoarder so it must be somewhere.

The hole may look elongated, however its not. It looks elongated as it passes between the wheel arch and the flat of the guard causing that elongated look.

I used a hole saw the size i'll chek at home later as well. Where you need to be careful is that the standard arbour (drill) that comes with a hole saw is way to short as i said before the centre of the hole is near the junction of the guard (where the guard steps in) and therefor the hole saw hits the guard (wheel arch part) before the arbour. I found this out the hard way. Once again I'll get the length of the arbour for you when i get home. Actually might be tomorrow got outlaws and cuzns etc comin over or later this evening

growler2058
29th March 2011, 02:54 PM

Heres a detailed drawing of what i's trying to say hahahhahaha

AB
29th March 2011, 02:55 PM
Mate I'll have a look in the shed this arvo, i installed my safari myself and it came with a template, just not sure what i did with it. I'm a bit of a shockin hoarder so it must be somewhere.

The hole may look elongated, however its not. It looks elongated as it passes between the wheel arch and the flat of the guard causing that elongated look.

I used a hole saw the size i'll chek at home later as well. Where you need to be careful is that the standard arbour (drill) that comes with a hole saw is way to short as i said before the centre of the hole is near the junction of the guard (where the guard steps in) and therefor the hole saw hits the guard (wheel arch part) before the arbour. I found this out the hard way. Once again I'll get the length of the arbour for you when i get home. Actually might be tomorrow got outlaws and cuzns etc comin over or later this evening

Thanks mate but my hole will be massive compared to a safari. I think also safaris go straight in to the side whereas the rubber elbow I'm using for a 4" pipe will be severley elongated.

I have a nibbler as well like the pic below which IMHO is ten times easier and safer to cut funny shapes, especially with my shakey hands...lol

http://www.newstyledirect.com.au/store/images/D/gall1.jpg

growler2058
29th March 2011, 02:59 PM
oops try again

AB
29th March 2011, 03:00 PM
oops try again

Nice, is that a scale drawing 1:250...lol

Yeah I think the arch is just centre to the diameter on the ones ive seen too.

growler2058
29th March 2011, 03:01 PM
good a drawin tho ay

growler2058
29th March 2011, 03:04 PM
The centre of the peno should be the same? If i got the template ill post to you but prob wont get there by the weekend............mmm bumma

AB
29th March 2011, 03:31 PM
The centre of the peno should be the same? If i got the template ill post to you but prob wont get there by the weekend............mmm bumma

It's ok mate, thanks anyway, I'm pretty sure I've got it sorted...I think...lol

growler2058
29th March 2011, 05:09 PM
Its always fun cutting a hole in a perfectly good panel hahahahhaha good luck mate

Sir Roofy
29th March 2011, 05:31 PM
thanks mate but my hole will be massive compared to a safari. I think also safaris go straight in to the side whereas the rubber elbow i'm using for a 4" pipe will be severley elongated.

I have a nibbler as well like the pic below which imho is ten times easier and safer to cut funny shapes, especially with my shakey hands...lol

http://www.newstyledirect.com.au/store/images/d/gall1.jpg
no drinks till you,ve cut the hole there mate good luck

Maxhead
29th March 2011, 05:48 PM
no drinks till you,ve cut the hole there mate good luck

I disagree Roofy, It's just like playing pool down the pub...always have a better eye after a few...lol
Keep it to under a box and you should be right mate....might have the snorkel coming in through the roof tho...hahah

Sir Roofy
29th March 2011, 05:53 PM
i disagree roofy, it's just like playing pool down the pub...always have a better eye after a few...lol
keep it to under a box and you should be right mate....might have the snorkel coming in through the roof tho...hahah

trouble with that tho ab is a live wire it would take to much to dull his sences lol that the w/end would be over b4 the job was done

AB
29th March 2011, 08:48 PM
No no no I have to agree with kris here sorry Roofy, I used to be a pool shark in my days with 24 pots under so I reckon my cool calm steady nerves and accuracy of a nibbler might be at It's peak at around...Lets say.....8 cans...I think thats a good number to get the confidence going...LMAO

Dhuck
29th March 2011, 08:52 PM
Here come the door snorkels. lol