PDA

View Full Version : Castor correction for GQ 2" lift?

ashmccormick
29th July 2015, 11:43 AM
Hi guys,

Took my rig into town for a wheel balance/alignment yesterday and was talking to the owner about why I was battling to keep the car straight on the highway. Steering dampener is new, pan hard bushes are fine, bearings have no play, no bends in tie rod or drag link etc. He reckons fitting castor correction bushes would sort it right out as it fixed a similar prob on his 100 series, but I didnt think caster angle had to be adjusted for anything lower than a 3"? Anyone here had similar problems with their truck? Seems like some handle the 2" lift better than others?

Ash

seehuusen
29th July 2015, 12:01 PM
Hi Ash,

I run 2 degree caster correction on my car for a 2 inch lift. I had that exact same issue before too.
2 degree bushes suit 2"-3" lifts btw.

Get a good rubber one, it's worth doing it right the first time.
Also make sure it comes with the template so you can line up the holes correctly when pressing the bushes in.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
Martin

MudRunnerTD
29th July 2015, 12:13 PM
Surely if they had it on the rack for a wheel alignment he could measure your caster while he had it?? If it's flighty then Caster correction is needed and I agree Rubber is your friend.

ashmccormick
29th July 2015, 01:02 PM
Cheers for the input guys. He showed me the readings while the car was up on the hoist but Im no expert on suspension so it was a little confusing at the time. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem before I go pulling the radius arms out. This confirms it though... ill add it to the shopping list! Ill make sure I get hold of a quality rubber set.

Ash

mudnut
29th July 2015, 01:05 PM
Superior Engineering make
radius arms to suit different
lifts. I have looked at a few
different styles of castor
correction. I think the forces
applied to the off centre rubber
and neoprene bushes will
chop them out fairly quickly.
I and am currently
trying to save for the 2" lift arms.

ashmccormick
29th July 2015, 02:22 PM
Yeh I have seen those superior arms, they look impressive. Are they the super flex ones too? I have several big jobs on the cards at the minute so might have to hold out on those! Do you have similar steering issues mudnut?

mudnut
29th July 2015, 06:38 PM
Mine is a little bit touchy with the 2"
but not overly so.
I need to do the rear bushes first
as they are on the way out.

Patrol'n
29th July 2015, 08:44 PM
I have a 2inch tough dog lift in my truck, I don't have castor correction as I was assured by my workshop it wouldn't be necessary for my vehicle at least. I have had a wheel alignment since, and yes the castor angle is very slightly negative but the truck drives brilliantly, doesn't really feel much different to pre the lift to steer.

I was warned that excessive castor could cause wobble issues, which I definitely did not want. That said if yours isn't driving well, and won't track straight then assuming everything else is ok, perhaps your rig does need the correction.

ashmccormick
29th July 2015, 09:17 PM
Cheers Patrol'n,

Yeh it seems some trucks are ok like yours, maybe my 33's are just tipping me past what is drivable without issues, I notice you have 31's? I hit up eBay for a good set of rubbers, with a template guide so I can knock them in myself and see how it goes! Fingers crossed it sorts it out because its sketchy enough going past those road trains at the best of times I reckon!

Patrol'n
29th July 2015, 09:33 PM
Yep could well be that the tires are the difference, my 31" duellers are the 604v model, they have been on the truck since I bought it and a long time before that by the look of them (worn well though), reckon I'll need a new set by winter next year and was thinking of 33" muddies, now I might ask a few questions first, good luck with yours mate, nothing like a self steering front end to make driving interesting!