PDA

View Full Version : New 2015 Y61 3.0CRd Wagon

Barra1
28th July 2015, 08:05 PM
G'day Guys,

have just picked up a new Wagon, now my 4th Nissan including 2 Patrol utes + 1 Navara D40, & have a few questions of the knowledgeable:

Where do most people put their switches for the likes of spotties;

What CBs - not wanting to get into a factional war but looking at a GME & looking for a great spot to mount it, any ideas;

3" exhaust - are the issues about over boost accurate if this is fitted (will be fitting boost/EGT instruments);

Brake units - looking at getting REDARC EBH (remote) fitted - good places for that; and

Aux battery trays - do they generally fit in the side opposite to the strting battery without too much difficulty.

Thanks in advance guys,

Barra

Hodge
28th July 2015, 09:07 PM
G'day Barra. Welcome mate congrats on the new Patrol.
This is where I put my switches in my CRD. Picture below shows it as well as where I mounted my remote face GME unit. Spottie switches I had next to the sub tank switch as there are two blanks. And the remote face GME unit sits nicely above the gear stick. And the main body is hidden underneath the next to the steering shaft.

- 3" exhaust - Yes you may get the overboosting, hence in turn you may hit limp mode much easier with a 3" exhaust. A lot of people have had to install the dawes valve to control that. I had a 2.75" on my 3L and still was overboosting, especially after EGR blank.

- Battery tray fits nicely and easily. However it is fairly close to the turbo hence it limits what type of batteries you can use in it, due to excessive heat coming from the snail.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60120&stc=1

Ronin
29th July 2015, 05:02 PM
What CBs - not wanting to get into a factional war but looking at a GME & looking for a great spot to mount it, any ideas;

I have an Icom 440n and u can mound the body under the seat and hand set has all the controls.

3" exhaust - are the issues about over boost accurate if this is fitted (will be fitting boost/EGT instruments);

I fitted the 3" exhaust and had no issues at all.

Fwdpatrol
29th July 2015, 05:38 PM
My new 2015 patrol GU st N -trek6017160172

Got mine 2 weeks ago

Bush Ranger
29th July 2015, 10:20 PM
Since you are interested in getting a GME UHF Barra, have a look at the TX 3540. I have my TX 3440 installed in the rear of the console that sits between the front seats. You can access the area by unscrewing four screws (I think?) from where the rear seats are. There`s enough cord to run back towards the cigarette lighter for the mic to fit between it and the console. While you are at it, fit a extension speaker, as the speaker from the UHF is muffled a bit and hard to hear if you have a window down at speed. Icom has some thing similar to the TX 3540 and I think it has a speaker in with the mic, which would probably save you getting an external speaker.

bazzaboy
30th July 2015, 09:53 AM
G'day Barra,

Welcome.

You will find the guys on this site more than heplfull and willing to assist. I'm new as well and they have been a great help to me. You will enjoy your Patrol. I have a new 2014 Titanium and the only issue I have is the dash layout not being too switch friendly as I dont like thing cluttered or out of reach. I've still not found a good spot for my mic yet. Maybe it's me ... anyway.

Regarding the auxilary battery, when I fitted mine I used a battery tray that had a sheet steel side that faced the turbo. This was obviously to shield the battery from the turbo heat. The may reduce the battery heat to some degree although theres a lot of heat under that bonnet. Also check the specs of the batteries for ones that handle the heat better. All battery the trays I've seen for our model Patrols mount on the turbo side of the engine bay.

Enjoy the forum and your new Patrol.

Bazza

Barra1
30th July 2015, 04:55 PM
Thanks Bushranger & Bazzaboy - good tips = I agree with you Bazza - not switch friendly are they. My other patrol (2009 ute) has plenty of spots + plenty of panel blanks) but that's progress (I guess).
had the REDARC Brake control unit fitted today, that was a typical "not too many places to put it" scenario, even with the remote type. Still looking at the best place (for me) for the CB - missus is leaning towards an overhead console but that is an extra cost that could be spent on something else. Ahhh well - off to go & sit in with a beer & contemplate what goes where.

Dr Gary
30th July 2015, 05:13 PM
Still looking at the best place (for me) for the CB - missus is leaning towards an overhead console but that is an extra cost that could be spent on something else. Ahhh well - off to go & sit in with a beer & contemplate what goes where.
Overhead works really well. plus space for sunnies on either side, and a drawer at back for EPIRB, tyre gauges etc etc. Mike can hang on either side.

Brissieboy
30th July 2015, 05:25 PM
If you fellas are putting switches into the blanked spots, are you using ones that fit, or are you just modifying the panels to make other popular types fit? If you are using ones that fit, where are you getting those switches from please (not the carling type)?
Rather than cut up any panels, I was going to take out the ashtray behind the gear levers and make up an aluminium panel in its place - will hold 3 carling switches and easy to get at.

Barra1
3rd August 2015, 06:23 PM
If you fellas are putting switches into the blanked spots, are you using ones that fit, or are you just modifying the panels to make other popular types fit? If you are using ones that fit, where are you getting those switches from please (not the carling type)?
Rather than cut up any panels, I was going to take out the ashtray behind the gear levers and make up an aluminium panel in its place - will hold 3 carling switches and easy to get at.

Good question BrissieBoy - it appears that the blanks are smaller than in my 2008 Gu Ute. Also how do you get the blanks out - in the 2008 Gu it was as easy as getting either a fingernail or thin bladed screwdriver under the edge & phhffft, out they came.
Any tips guys or am I missing something??

Brad_GU9
3rd August 2015, 07:51 PM
G'day Barry

Congrats on your latest purchase..

Switch wise, I have stuck the mouse switches that came with the spot light wiring looms to the dash on the LHS of the steering wheel just below the speedo etc. Really easy spot to access them. The only other switch I have in the front manually turns on 2 rear LED spots when I need to see a bit more out the back and for this I use really small 10A toggle switches you typically buy from boat shops. They are good because they fit inside the factory blanks and I have put it in the blank infront of the hand brake.

CB Wise I run the GME remote head unit which is stuck in the little recessed section infront of the cig plug sockets with the unit under the seat and extn speaker mounted to RHS of instrument panel. I always stick everything to the dash with VHB tape which saves you having to drill any holes in your new pride and joy.

I have had a 3" exhaust on all 3 of the patrol wagons I have owned. Never any overboost dramas only thing I found is that more air out needs more air in so found that for the 2 weeks I drove prior to the snorkel being fitted that there was a very noticeable lack of boost under 2K RPM. Fitted snorkel which is helping force air in and problem solved. I also run a high-flow air filter for same reason.

I use the redarc remote brake unit and have mounted the little button and led directly in front of the handbrake with unit under the drivers seat. This works a treat and is very easy to access for tweaking braking force on the fly. If you are going to drill here be sure to lift up the console and drill in the right spot though.

Same comments as others above about the heat in the engine bay and auxiliary batteries. There are after market trays which fit in there very nicely. I run a 179AH Sealed AGM Battery in the rear though as I have found over the years they don't typically like the temps under the bonnet. Most important thing with your battery is to get a DC to DC charger if you are running a deep cycle battery as typical dual battery isolater type charging systems are not capable of charging a deep cycle battery to its capacity from the alternator alone.

Hope this helps. Cheers Brad

Brissieboy
4th August 2015, 08:46 PM
Barra1,
These ones come out from the back, NOT the front, so be careful with that screwdriver.
Hard to explain - best to have a look yourself.
I just pulled out the cowling around the gear levers to investigate this as it was the easiest panel to remove - and it holds both switches and blanks.
It will be fairly obvious once you see them from the back.
The switches are different from anything I have managed to find.

Barra1
14th August 2015, 10:26 AM
Bush ranger - you are a legend. The area behind the console was removed, 4 screws, & the CB will definitely fit in there. I have been pulling my hair trying to find a place. thanks heaps. Will now look at/order either the 3540 or the ICOM CB.

Barra

bazzaboy
15th August 2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks Bushranger & Bazzaboy - good tips = I agree with you Bazza - not switch friendly are they. My other patrol (2009 ute) has plenty of spots + plenty of panel blanks) but that's progress (I guess).
had the REDARC Brake control unit fitted today, that was a typical "not too many places to put it" scenario, even with the remote type. Still looking at the best place (for me) for the CB - missus is leaning towards an overhead console but that is an extra cost that could be spent on something else. Ahhh well - off to go & sit in with a beer & contemplate what goes where.

FYI .... I ended up mounting my Icom on the plastic panel directly below the steering wheel. It's out of the way there and you cant see it when your driving. My Icom has all the controls and speaker in the mic, and I only plug it in when I go away, and then I just sit the mic in the tray under the "flip open" dash panel.

Bazza.

flemj
17th August 2015, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys

I put my remote head Icom under my centre console, beneath the cup holders.

John