PDA

View Full Version : Weird miss on cold start td42

luvpsi
28th July 2015, 07:50 PM
Hi guys in the last week my td42t has acquired a small problem. When on cold start it will miss fire for a few seconds blowing grey smoke that smells like raw diesel. It only started about a week ago. I know it's not glow plugs as I replaced them about 2 months ago and it fires up straight away after the cold start its fine however sometimes after a 8 hour day at work it will do it others it won't. I tried today to glow the plugs twice which worked it didn't do it but I can't see it being plugs as they were Bosch plugs I put in and it fires first kick on cold start everytime but just misses and coughs and splutters for about 5 secs any ideas

AB
28th July 2015, 07:57 PM
Hi guys in the last week my td42t has acquired a small problem. When on cold start it will miss fire for a few seconds blowing grey smoke that smells like raw diesel. It only started about a week ago. I know it's not glow plugs as I replaced them about 2 months ago and it fires up straight away after the cold start its fine however sometimes after a 8 hour day at work it will do it others it won't. I tried today to glow the plugs twice which worked it didn't do it but I can't see it being plugs as they were Bosch plugs I put in and it fires first kick on cold start everytime but just misses and coughs and splutters for about 5 secs any ideas How is your cranking battery?

Is it starting a few seconds later when turning the key then normal?

Robo
28th July 2015, 08:25 PM
try cycling the glow plugs a few times before you actually start the engine,
if this fixes the prob good chance low volts and or then glow circuit is suspect.

NotTortoise
2nd August 2015, 07:08 PM
I'm keen to know if you find the problem, mine does the same thing occasionally. It's very hard to replicate when I want it to. TD42T also.

ashmccormick
2nd August 2015, 07:41 PM
Hey mate,

I agree with AB and Robo, start with your battery voltage, check earths and connections on the glow circuit.

The fact that it runs fine once hot suggests its either glows or you might have air sneaking in overnight... If you can turn any fuel hoses without much force it could be pulling enough air in there when cold, enough to cause a drama when starting then fine after. I had a similar prob on my GQ, just turned out to be a slightly loose hose at the injector pump.

Ash

moonie
5th August 2015, 10:40 AM
my gu 4.2 did the same a few years ago after i fitted new glow plugs i looked for a few weeks to find the problam what i did i pull the new glow plugs out and tested them and two of the new plugs were taking longer to heat up so i got another two an tested them before fitting them an that fixed the problam hope this helps..

threedogs
5th August 2015, 03:07 PM
any up date on this problem??

Robo
18th August 2015, 11:58 AM
Ya put the hex on me, Mine is doing the same now bugger it.
I installed new bosch plugs last yr just as a service thing didn't know how old they were.
swap em back to see if that was the problem, no change.
cycling the plugs does help, though.
but I'm getting 12v at the rail and all 12 plugs are same ohms,
humm, bench test plugs and read with infra red hand held may show heat-up times per plugs.
possible some are slow but would of thought ohms differences would expose that.

May be a suss injector, but that's just a thought.
humm flea bay injectors anyone had history with these?.
ok to use ones quoting gen nozzles only etc.
some are $350 and go up to $550 for my model.
sorry looks like a hijack but trying to get to the bottom of same prob.

nissannewby
18th August 2015, 11:01 PM
Do you have the heating element in the intake manifold? (2 wires go into it around 4 and 5 cylinder.)

Robo
19th August 2015, 03:19 AM
Do you have the heating element in the intake manifold? (2 wires go into it around 4 and 5 cylinder.)

yes. the large say 22 mm fitting on plenum cyl 4/5.
think its was test at 20 deg for ?? ohms can't remember the number off the top of my head.
but it was Ok, have another look-see with a new multi today.

nissannewby
19th August 2015, 01:20 PM
Unplug it and bridge the plug on the loom side. See if that helps at all.

Other things to check are air in fuel.

tuckertrucker
22nd August 2015, 11:38 AM
Hi, sounds to me like it could be a suspect injector. Although, I recently had an issue with my '92 Safari TD42 and after a great deal of heart ache it turned out to be a low idle. Not high enough for the engine to run smooth 'till warm. Could be worth checking perhaps?

Robo
22nd August 2015, 12:59 PM
Unplug it and bridge the plug on the loom side. See if that helps at all.

Other things to check are air in fuel.

Just unpluged it, installed jumper, no better.
I also tested the loom side to battery earth.
And get power to earth, but only for as long as dash glow light is on.
also tried m/meter as the jumper, 3 seconds of power and switches off to 0 volts

would appear the timer is suss, only flows power for approx 3 seconds and thats it.
will have a look at timer this arvo if time permits.

Roland the Wolf
22nd August 2015, 08:57 PM
Hi fellas, I have a 1999 GU TD42T. Just stumbled across this thread. I have had rough idle and smoke at cold start. Checked my glow plugs by measuring the voltage, measuring current draw for each glow plug and found them ok. Actually removed each glow-plug and watch it glow. Cleaning the plugs did not make any difference. My plugs drew about 8 Amps each. They all measured 1.2 ohms. Total current draw was around 48Amps from memory. Eventually removed my injectors and tested them on my injector tester. Found them to be poor performers. Took them to local Diesel Shop where they received new seats and pintels. This proved to be very effective. Reduced the smoke by about 90%, rough idle now only about 7-10 secs with the odd white smoke puff. After 10 secs from cold start, engine runs smooth.
So, I still have a little rough idle and a few puffs of white smoke but much improved. I have also changed my lift pump as I found the fuel is receeding back to the tank.
This move also improved matter for me. Anyhow, that my little bit.
Roland the WOLF 22/8/2015

Robo
23rd August 2015, 01:52 PM
After a second opinion auto sparkies.

testing the glow timer connections as per manual.
Pat has cold climate system, 2 x glow relays & plenum temp resistor.
guess Iv'e found something the limited edition plus is all about.

the L terminal check = glow plug harness pins 13 neg 15 pos,
is giving a result of 0 volts when ign is turned on.
instead of 12v as per spec.
checked continuity for L wire disconnected = .0 resistance found.

So I can assume my alternator is suspect??

I just checked alt no volts at L terminal with ign on.
Correction, probed L terminal 13.48v @ idle.
but nothing at pins 13& 15 @ idle