PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Patrol (and diesel) Owner - what should I do first?

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 03:04 AM
Ok mates. As of today, I'm the proud owner of a 1999 Patrol GR RD28TD manual transmission. The guy I bought it from kept it in good condition, but nothing spectacular. I'be been reading through the forums and while there are a lot of tweaks and mods I want to do down the road, I need some advice on what to do right now.

What are the things I need to do to the engine, drivetrain, etc right away? What would you recommend changing, checking, tweaking, etc. if you were the new owner of this vehicle with limited service history?

Thanks in advance.

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 03:06 AM
Note: I'm not necessarily looking for major mods at this point, more just the basics on general maintenance and service. Sorry if the question is too vague.

Chubba
25th July 2015, 06:05 AM
G'day SiberianPatrol, First thing I would do to improve the patrols ability would be a 2'' suspension lift and a good set of 33'' tyres.. That would be a good start IMHO

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:28 AM
Matt,

I always like to change easy stuff like fluids, drive belts, and radiator hoses on a second hand vehicle, especially if you aren't sure of the service history. ( Keep the old belts and hoses somewhere in the truck for emergency spares ). Check Brake Pads, Look for any signs of oil weeping or fluid leaks.

I do also like to give the engine bay a good steam clean or wash - to allow myself to find any potential problems, looking for signs of leaks and/or loose clips. Check the state of the radiator from the outside too, as we often get a build up of bugs, mud, grass seeds, and other obstructions which an cause overheating if left....

There are bigger items that are easy enough to check, but will take a fair bit of time to repair ( if needed ), like the front wheel bearings ( the front hubs are usually dismantled,checked and reassembled with fresh grease every 40,000klms over here ) - vibrations through the steering can be attributed to loose wheel bearings, or worn bushes/components.

Common problems often found with the 2.8 diesel ( assuming it is the same as ours, and I think it is ) can be cracked heads, worn injector pump ( if the motor is hard to start when warm, then this is a sign that it is wearing a little ), and the biggest one is a loose harmonic balancer - which chews out the main crankshaft. Other than that, they are pretty good.

threedogs
25th July 2015, 12:34 PM
Same as Happy says change all your fluids that gives you a starting point for future servicing.
Maybe improve the lighting if night driving but a 2" lift and some 285s/33" will see you go most places
IMO

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 02:45 PM
Matt,

I always like to change easy stuff like fluids, drive belts, and radiator hoses on a second hand vehicle, especially if you aren't sure of the service history. ( Keep the old belts and hoses somewhere in the truck for emergency spares ). Check Brake Pads, Look for any signs of oil weeping or fluid leaks.

I do also like to give the engine bay a good steam clean or wash - to allow myself to find any potential problems, looking for signs of leaks and/or loose clips. Check the state of the radiator from the outside too, as we often get a build up of bugs, mud, grass seeds, and other obstructions which an cause overheating if left....

There are bigger items that are easy enough to check, but will take a fair bit of time to repair ( if needed ), like the front wheel bearings ( the front hubs are usually dismantled,checked and reassembled with fresh grease every 40,000klms over here ) - vibrations through the steering can be attributed to loose wheel bearings, or worn bushes/components.

Common problems often found with the 2.8 diesel ( assuming it is the same as ours, and I think it is ) can be cracked heads, worn injector pump ( if the motor is hard to start when warm, then this is a sign that it is wearing a little ), and the biggest one is a loose harmonic balancer - which chews out the main crankshaft. Other than that, they are pretty good.

Thanks, Happy! The 2.8 engine is the same across the board on models as best as I can tell. I will go ahead and change the fluids and filters to give a baseline for future services, the belts and hoses as well. Is there a timing belt or chain on these models and what is the recommended service on that? My repair manual is in the post on it's way to me, and it will give me a lot more info once it gets here.

Would you also crack open the diffs and replace the diff oil front and rear? Is there anything to be careful of when washing the engine bay since the intercooler is on top?

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 02:50 PM
G'day SiberianPatrol, First thing I would do to improve the patrols ability would be a 2'' suspension lift and a good set of 33'' tyres.. That would be a good start IMHO

Same as Happy says change all your fluids that gives you a starting point for future servicing.
Maybe improve the lighting if night driving but a 2" lift and some 285s/33" will see you go most places
IMO

Thanks, mates. It has 33s on it already and I was told it has a 2" lift. Need to crawl up under it to check it out to make sure on the lift. First step is to get a good wash today.

threedogs
25th July 2015, 02:55 PM
when you wash the engine bay dont squeeze the trigger,
otherwise you could be forcing water into places water should not be. lol.
Maybe remove the battery and wash under there always seems to be mud/dirt there.
Have you put up any pics yet?? we love pics

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 03:08 PM
Will post pics today. Got to get her cleaned up a bit then will post up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 03:16 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/227.jpg
Just an overview photo for now. Will get some under the hood and interior later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 03:21 PM
After reading through some of the threads here, I've come up with my future mods list:

3" exhaust system
Block EGR
Remove butterfly at IC
Upgrade the optics
Steel bumpers front and rear
Winch

threedogs
25th July 2015, 03:24 PM
Looking very nice as is , must be happy with that
Would love those headlight washers, do wreckers sell them over your way?
We fit bullbars for animal strikes, bloody Kangaroos are everywhere in the country
plus you can bolt lights and antenna to them

happygu
25th July 2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Happy! The 2.8 engine is the same across the board on models as best as I can tell. I will go ahead and change the fluids and filters to give a baseline for future services, the belts and hoses as well. Is there a timing belt or chain on these models and what is the recommended service on that? My repair manual is in the post on it's way to me, and it will give me a lot more info once it gets here.

Would you also crack open the diffs and replace the diff oil front and rear? Is there anything to be careful of when washing the engine bay since the intercooler is on top?

In Australia, diff oils are done every 40,000 klms ( 25,000 Miles for the poor longsuffering American public ...:tease: ). May be different for your climate, but it gives you a base reference to start from.

Intercooler is fine for washing, but high pressure will bend over the aluminium fins, so just back off the trigger over the intercooler, and either spray all electrical connectors with a water dispersant such as WD40 ( not sure of your well known equivalent ) before and then after washing, or try to avoid the electricals as much as possible.

It does have a timing belt .. not sure of the intervals, but there is a thread here on replacement

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3155-Timing-Belt

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 10:52 PM
Looking very nice as is , must be happy with that
Would love those headlight washers, do wreckers sell them over your way?
We fit bullbars for animal strikes, bloody Kangaroos are everywhere in the country
plus you can bolt lights and antenna to them

Yes the headlight washer are available here from wreckers. Can be hard to find but they are here. A bull bar would be needed here for the rough terrain. Winter roads (i.e. ice roads) are very unpredictable and you never know what might be in, on or around the road.

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 10:59 PM
In Australia, diff oils are done every 40,000 klms ( 25,000 Miles for the poor longsuffering American public ...:tease: ). May be different for your climate, but it gives you a base reference to start from.

Intercooler is fine for washing, but high pressure will bend over the aluminium fins, so just back off the trigger over the intercooler, and either spray all electrical connectors with a water dispersant such as WD40 ( not sure of your well known equivalent ) before and then after washing, or try to avoid the electricals as much as possible.

It does have a timing belt .. not sure of the intervals, but there is a thread here on replacement

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3155-Timing-Belt

Thanks again happy. As I don't know the service history, I'll probably go ahead and do the diff oils so that I have a baseline for everything. I know with some vehicles they change diff oils for the extreme cold (-40C and lower) and out in a lighter weight during the winter and then change it again to the normal weight in the summer. Need to find out if that would be beneficial for this vehicle or not.

As for the timing belt, I'll probably have the dealer do it since I don't have a garage workspace yet. I can do small repairs, tune ups on my own with the limited space, but anything complex needs a professional shop simply because I'm in an apartment in the city with no place to work on it. That situation will change once I move up north, but for now that's what I'm stuck with.

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 11:01 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/232.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/233.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/234.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/235.jpg

Some more pix of the new ride. The seller even left the 2M ham radio in it! 33" Khumo mudders and manual hubs.

4bye4
25th July 2015, 11:05 PM
"Intercooler is fine for washing, but high pressure will bend over the aluminium fins, so just back off the trigger over the intercooler, and either spray all electrical connectors with a water dispersant such as WD40 ( not sure of your well known equivalent ) before and then after washing, or try to avoid the electricals as much as possible."

DON'T SPRAY THE ALTERNATOR. I did and had to replace it. They don't like it.:redface: Also cost me a battery because it killed the internal regulator and charged at 19Volts. Worst part was I knew it was doing damage but had to get home.

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:20 PM
"Intercooler is fine for washing, but high pressure will bend over the aluminium fins, so just back off the trigger over the intercooler, and either spray all electrical connectors with a water dispersant such as WD40 ( not sure of your well known equivalent ) before and then after washing, or try to avoid the electricals as much as possible."

DON'T SPRAY THE ALTERNATOR. I did and had to replace it. They don't like it.:redface: Also cost me a battery because it killed the internal regulator and charged at 19Volts. Worst part was I knew it was doing damage but had to get home.

Mine has been fine .... so far

but I do try to avoid the electrics as much as possible

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:23 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/232.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/233.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/234.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/235.jpg

Some more pix of the new ride. The seller even left the 2M ham radio in it! 33" Khumo mudders and manual hubs.

Looks pretty neat, and mechanicals look pretty good too. Love the dark blue colour also.....

Looks like standard height suspension though ... not sure about 2" inch lift springs .... I am sure I had a bigger gap in the wheel arches with mine

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 11:29 PM
Looks pretty neat, and mechanicals look pretty good too. Love the dark blue colour also.....

Looks like standard height suspension though ... not sure about 2" inch lift springs .... I am sure I had a bigger gap in the wheel arches with mine

Yea the suspension lift is the only question I have about the truck. My initial thought was it hasn't been done, but then again I thought it was almost mandatory to lift it with 33" mudders. Didn't think the 33s would fit well on stock suspension.

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:37 PM
Yea the suspension lift is the only question I have about the truck. My initial thought was it hasn't been done, but then again I thought it was almost mandatory to lift it with 33" mudders. Didn't think the 33s would fit well on stock suspension.

The 33'' tyres definitely fit with standard suspension.

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 11:39 PM
The 33'' tyres definitely fit with standard suspension.

Ok. Thanks again. I may be adding a 2" lift to my list. There is an authorized ARB dealer here with OME and Toughdog lift kits. Not cheap, but may be worth it.

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:44 PM
Matt,

Here is my old truck with 2" suspension lift

Note the extra space inside the wheel arches...

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:46 PM
You will find the old sagged suspension will have terrible ride compared to the OME Kit .... much nicer

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 11:50 PM
You will find the old sagged suspension will have terrible ride compared to the OME Kit .... much nicer

I see the difference now. I'm not modding for extreme off-roading but suspensions get murdered around here with all the varying road conditions and types. I'll probably run stock until it's time to replace shocks and then have it lifted then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiberianPatrol
25th July 2015, 11:50 PM
Is the OME a much stiffer ride on road? Or does it just handle and ride better all the way around?

SiberianPatrol
26th July 2015, 12:00 AM

I've found both Ironman lift kits (~900 USD) and OME lift kits (~1500 USD) available here in my city. Is the OME worth the extra money or is the Ironman just as good?

happygu
26th July 2015, 12:01 AM
Is the OME a much stiffer ride on road? Or does it just handle and ride better all the way around?

It does depend on what type of kit, but I don't think so as the standard Nissan suspension is fairly harsh anyway, and the new springs and shocks have longer travel which means that there is a bit more give and flex at the top of the stroke.

I always thought it was like riding on a cloud compared to the standard stuff .... but it has been a little while since I have used the off the shelf OME gear. We have such a wide range of kits available, and the last one had progressive rate coils which made it a little floatier and plusher ride around town, but sagged a little more under load. My current ride has heavy duty springs so the ride is a little compromised around town - but loaded up is great....:bigthumbup:

happygu
26th July 2015, 12:05 AM
I've found both Ironman lift kits (~900 USD) and OME lift kits (~1500 USD) available here in my city. Is the OME worth the extra money or is the Ironman just as good?

Over here I have mainly used Kings Springs and Koni Shockers for my last few vehicles, and haven't used OME for a while ( but loved the OME Kits when I did use them )

I have never used the Ironman Kits, but haven't heard many bad things about them and would hazard a guess and say they would be great for what you want .... especially the extra $600 in your back pocket

Chubba
26th July 2015, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=SiberianPatrol;619315]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/232.jpg

My bus with a 2'' lift and 33'' tyres, might need to look at suspension..
I have from ebay a Blupac 2'' lift kit, Springs and shockers, was about $600 Aussie,
I notice you have manual hubs as well

SiberianPatrol
26th July 2015, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=SiberianPatrol;619315]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/232.jpg

My bus with a 2'' lift and 33'' tyres, might need to look at suspension..
I have from ebay a Blupac 2'' lift kit, Springs and shockers, was about $600 Aussie,
I notice you have manual hubs as well

There is a difference for sure. I looked at a rig similar to yours before I bought mine. It was red and had a lift and was mechanically sound but the body was dinged up and the interior was rough.

I'll just have to add a lift kit to my future mod list. Yes manual hubs are the boss.

SiberianPatrol
26th July 2015, 12:08 PM
Anyone know if I can swap out the headlights on my 99 GU with the clear ones from an '02 GU? They look like the same shape in he catalogue but the marker lights/turn signals look a bit different on the 2 models.

Bush Ranger
26th July 2015, 07:55 PM
Not sure on the 99 GU (series 1 aren`t they?), but I have heard that a series 3 head lights fit in to a series 2 GU. If the Series 2 are the same as series 1, then they should fit. Don`t quote me though. I heard that the indicator lens are slightly different, but do still fit. From what I have heard.

SiberianPatrol
26th July 2015, 08:17 PM
Not sure on the 99 GU (series 1 aren`t they?), but I have heard that a series 3 head lights fit in to a series 2 GU. If the Series 2 are the same as series 1, then they should fit. Don`t quote me though. I heard that the indicator lens are slightly different, but do still fit. From what I have heard.

Thanks Bush Ranger. I'll check them out tomorrow when I go to the shop. They aren't that expensive for the lenses here.

SiberianPatrol
26th July 2015, 11:42 PM
Looks like the first thing happening is a trip to the mechanic tomorrow. Had the engine quit on me while driving today @90kmh and it was hard to start again after it stalled. Could be a faulty relay or something more serious with the electrical. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the injectors are electronically controlled on the RD28T engine?

SiberianPatrol
28th July 2015, 01:18 PM
Well diagnostics showed an error code from the injector sensor/controller and it is getting hard to start once it gets up to operating temps, so something is definitely up with the electrical. Need to book another appointment with the electrician to get it all sorted out. Also found that the kingpin bearings and swivel hub gaskets need replacing, some miscellaneous bushings and suspension parts are worn and the clutch slave cylinder needs replacing.

Nothing too major - just seems like it is showing its age a bit. On the hunt now to track down the needed parts to get everything fixed up.

threedogs
28th July 2015, 05:10 PM
Can you put a pic of the front and rear to compare lights.
Mine is a S3 with clear rear lights I filled with LED reverse lights.
Great at night lol

SiberianPatrol
29th July 2015, 01:25 PM
Can you put a pic of the front and rear to compare lights.
Mine is a S3 with clear rear lights I filled with LED reverse lights.
Great at night lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/329.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/330.jpg

Here's the front lights, threedogs. The back lights I know are the same shape and are compatible.

SiberianPatrol
1st August 2015, 02:32 AM
Well, aside from changing out the usual parts (belts, hoses, suspension bushings, etc.), the first mods going on the Patrol will be some upgraded headlights and taillights from a series 3 GU. Will get those installed next week and post up the new pix.

threedogs
1st August 2015, 11:10 AM
Would love those headlight washers, I dont think our
headlights have that spread style glass on them either.
Are the mag wheels OE or after market

happygu
1st August 2015, 11:37 AM

These are the same wheels as the early Ti alloys we had here for the GU Series 1 ... so my guess is they are Factory

SiberianPatrol
1st August 2015, 01:25 PM

These are the same wheels as the early Ti alloys we had here for the GU Series 1 ... so my guess is they are Factory

They may be factory wheels, but I'm not sure - they are 16" alloys. What is the size of the factory wheels?

happygu
1st August 2015, 02:35 PM
They are/were 16" here for Series 1, 2 and 3 ....

You will find they are the factory rims, and will have Nissan stamped into the casting

SiberianPatrol
1st August 2015, 03:12 PM
They are/were 16" here for Series 1, 2 and 3 ....

You will find they are the factory rims, and will have Nissan stamped into the casting

Thanks happy. Nice tidbit of info to file away. I'll check for the Nissan stamping. I do t have a problem with the alloys on it now. May change them in the future, but have other mods to do first ;)

SiberianPatrol
5th August 2015, 02:01 AM
First real mod done to the Troll today. Replaced the rear lights with some updates LED variants. Interesting that the left side light had a full wiring harness for brake, reverse and turn lights; but the right side only had 2 wires for the stop light. Is this normal on the 99 GU's?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/30.jpg