PDA

View Full Version : gq rust issue top of front spring

gongetbuffed
24th July 2015, 03:52 PM
Hi all i have a 91 gq patrol and just noticed under the plate on top of front spring,i pulled the tin plate off and was full of dirt for a long time and has some flaky rust inside,
Has anyone had this problem should i be worried, will take a pic,but dont know how to paste it on here,
Cheers

threedogs
24th July 2015, 05:30 PM
Cant see it being a major problem, give it a decent clean at the carwash.
Then treat the area with either some rust converter,rinse and spray black
where needed.
You may need that rubber washer or 15mm coil spacers fitted

gongetbuffed
25th July 2015, 07:39 AM
I have read alot seems very common driver side only,maybe due to battery acid with the mud etc,i will hit it with wire wheel and rust converter some paint,Will leave them hats off i think.

threedogs
25th July 2015, 02:14 PM
There is a big rubber washer if thats the term that fits on top of the coil.
you could cut some insertion rubber [Reece plumbing] and cable tie them
to the top.

dom14
25th July 2015, 04:14 PM
to the top.

Thanx mate. You just gave me an idea. :)
Correction! Few ideas! :D

dom14
25th July 2015, 04:20 PM
Hi all i have a 91 gq patrol and just noticed under the plate on top of front spring,i pulled the tin plate off and was full of dirt for a long time and has some flaky rust inside,
Has anyone had this problem should i be worried, will take a pic,but dont know how to paste it on here,
Cheers

You don't need to know anything. Just hit the edit button at the bottom of your post and then hit the
"Go advanced" button. Then hit the "Manage attachments" button at the bottom of the edit page. A windows will pop out and hit the "Add Files" button on that window.
Select the photo whereever you have it and submit and save.
If you start a new reply post at the bottom of the thread, the process is the same.
I'll wait right in front my computer until tomorrow evening until I see your picture in this thread. :D

dom14
25th July 2015, 04:23 PM
I have read alot seems very common driver side only,maybe due to battery acid with the mud etc,i will hit it with wire wheel and rust converter some paint,Will leave them hats off i think.

Battery acid? I doubt it. It rarely happens. The bottom of the battery tray would rust out before the acid get to anything else.

dom14
28th July 2015, 12:32 AM
to the top.

I wasn't the intended party for this post, but it did help me big time mate. I've been putting up with this annoying thud of the suspension(springs hitting the top apparently) for years. When ever I drive over continuing ridges of a dirt road it thuds like crap. Now I know what to do about that, and it ain't gonna cost me and arm and a leg. :D