PDA

View Full Version : metal filings in the oil... Options??

tinkabell
24th July 2015, 01:53 PM
soooo, just did an oil change and have a "not insignificant" amount of filings in the oil... car is on 04 gu3 zd30 (alloy top version).

anyone had anything similar recently? I'm assuming a whole world of hurt is around the corner, so what are my options?

way i figure it:

1) let it blow up and part it out
2) get a crate motor
3) get a second hand from somewhere
4) get a properly recon'd second hand
5) get this stripped and recon'd
6) is there a 6?????

anyone got an idea of costs etc??

cheers

4bye4
24th July 2015, 02:30 PM
Are the filings steel of allow? Usa a magnet. What does it sound like?. It might (but probably isin't) somthing repairable. How many K? What's the rest of the car like?

happygu
24th July 2015, 02:31 PM
Any strange noises ?

You could try changing the oil, and re-checking after another 1000 Klms, just in case ...

tinkabell
24th July 2015, 02:52 PM
the filings are very small, looks to be metal, thinking bearing has gone?? No real noises in the engine, does have a little shudder at times i've noticed recently but it's very slight at best. 255*** on it, rest of car is ok, has some of the usual dints and dings and issues for it's age, but otherwise fairly normal... I just did a run from brisbane up to central queensland and back on a camping trip with 7 on board and towing a 2t camper - bloody thing never missed a beat... only discovered it during an oil change.

i find a magnet and triple check - but almost certain it's metal. The filter was full of it and the oil was all nice and sparkly with filings when we dropped it out...

4bye4
24th July 2015, 03:08 PM
the filings are very small, looks to be metal, thinking bearing has gone?? No real noises in the engine, does have a little shudder at times i've noticed recently but it's very slight at best. 255*** on it, rest of car is ok, has some of the usual dints and dings and issues for it's age, but otherwise fairly normal... I just did a run from brisbane up to central queensland and back on a camping trip with 7 on board and towing a 2t camper - bloody thing never missed a beat... only discovered it during an oil change.

i find a magnet and triple check - but almost certain it's metal. The filter was full of it and the oil was all nice and sparkly with filings when we dropped it out...

Magnet test if magnetic=steel=maybe a bearing going. If not magnetic=alloy=oh $*^t.

4bye4
24th July 2015, 03:11 PM
Mate, didn't read it properly before - might be oil pump if filings are in the filter. Do you have an oil pressure gauge - oil pressure lights are not a lot of good, they usually come on just after the damage is done.

tinkabell
24th July 2015, 03:58 PM
Mate, didn't read it properly before - might be oil pump if filings are in the filter. Do you have an oil pressure gauge - oil pressure lights are not a lot of good, they usually come on just after the damage is done.

nah mate no oil gauge... but been playing with a couple of fridge magnets, not getting any joy so might be alloy after all... the pieces are so small and fine i can't even look at them properly... trying to find a kids magnifying glass lol

dom14
25th July 2015, 02:21 AM
Did you feel it between fingers to determine it's metal for sure.
It can be a left over from some oil additive as well.
Either way, caution is the way to go.
Better to filter some of the stuff with a strainer with a cloth.
Clean it with petrol and have a close look with a magnifying glass.
Also feel the stuff between fingers after cleaning.
Yeah, a CSI approach is the way to go. :D

nipagu7
25th July 2015, 09:27 AM
how long since last oil change and oil filter change . what brand of oil and what weight eg; 10w-40 . just wondering if to light or poor quality a oil might have been used .

Ben-e-boy
25th July 2015, 10:47 AM
Personally I would put a few more km's on this oil then drop it and send it away for analysis. It's fairly cheap. You'll get change from $50
Hastings deering should do it, most oil co-ops should be able to do it.

Its like a blood test for your engine and a very good preventitive maintenance tool. The analysis will tell you what the filings are and where they came from

happygu
25th July 2015, 11:08 AM

That isn't sounding real good, and the worry is that if something fails it will be instantly catastrophic .... murphys law will have it fail when you are furthest from home to cost you more too....

If you have kept some of the oil along with the filter I would send it in for an oil test - don't think it will be great news, but it is better to know as soon as you can I guess

dom14
25th July 2015, 12:04 PM
That isn't sounding real good, and the worry is that if something fails it will be instantly catastrophic .... murphys law will have it fail when you are furthest from home to cost you more too....

If you have kept some of the oil along with the filter I would send it in for an oil test - don't think it will be great news, but it is better to know as soon as you can I guess

Ironically, my GQ always broke down either at home or just down the road, & still managed to drive it home by patching it up.
So, I reckon my GQ is immune to Murphy's law. :)

The fact is that the OP's gota confirm the stuff he found in oil are indeed metal scrapings. It is confirmed it's not steel so far.
What are the chances it can be an alloy?
This is the only chance I can think of.
The head was machined while ago and put back on without cleaning it properly.
That's the only scenario I can think of for the origin of those metal dust.
But, he's gota confirm it's metal first.

dom14
25th July 2015, 12:07 PM
Personally I would put a few more km's on this oil then drop it and send it away for analysis. It's fairly cheap. You'll get change from $50
Hastings deering should do it, most oil co-ops should be able to do it.

Its like a blood test for your engine and a very good preventitive maintenance tool. The analysis will tell you what the filings are and where they came from

Hasting Deering would do it for around $50?
That sounds pretty good!!!

tinkabell
26th July 2015, 08:58 PM
Ironically, my GQ always broke down either at home or just down the road, & still managed to drive it home by patching it up.
So, I reckon my GQ is immune Murphy's law. :)

The fact is that the OP's gota confirm the stuff he found in oil are indeed metal scrapings. It is confirmed it's not steel so far.
What are the chances it can be an alloy?
This is the only chance I can think of.
The head was machined while ago and put back on without cleaning it properly.
That's the only scenario I can think of for the origin of those metal dust.
But, he's gota confirm it's metal first.

yeah i'll take some in for a metal test - but i'm 100% confident it's alloy... there is plenty of it through the old filter and on the old oil we tipped over a piece of cardboard (to soak up the oil and leave the chunks behind) the thinking is it one of the bimetal bearings that is on it's way out... even if it is confirmed to be say big end bearing or whatever, the fact that the motor has metal running through it kinda says "ur rooted - new motor" does it not?? hence the original question about my options...

i'll certainly take some in to get tested in the next day or so just to confirm what it is that has gone - so thanks for that suggestion, it will help the diagnosis definitely!! but the overall picture is still new block?

threedogs
27th July 2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah sadly it does not look good at all.
I take it you have serviced the Patrol every 5000K
you can run a bit over or at least change the filter.
With 255K on the clock you might expect something to fail

dom14
27th July 2015, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I would go to panic mode if I found metal dust in the oil of my car.
Since you're certain it's metal, I wouldn't wait.
I dunno enough about diesel engine bottom ends to speculate where the alloy metal scrapings would come from.
May be a diesel guru here can post an opinion on that.
Apparently there are bimetal and trimetal bearings in engine cranks.
So, it's a good thing the engine is still running but will be a bad idea to keep running it if the metal scrapings are
from those bimetal bearings.

Better to drain all the oil and change the oil and the filter while examining the metal dust in the old oil.
If it's not a left over from an old head job, then it's not good news.
I would have the old oil and the metal dust analyzed straightaway.
Putting if off can end up costing real big money.
Diesel engine bottom end rebuilding is prohibitively expensive, most of the time you are better off buying a used engine.

tinkabell
27th July 2015, 05:16 PM
yeah serviced regularly etc etc and all up to date... i've had it 6 yrs and haven't done the head etc so can't be remnants of that - especially given the quantity of it.

so then given we seem to agree i'm fairly screwed lol - back to my original question...

who's done the rebuild/replace with 2nd hand/crate/upgrade etc etc??? anything to be aware of? is one option better than another??? any recommendations for any options especially around nthside brisbane?

my mechanic can install a new motor etc obviously, but anyone got any ideas on where best to get a motor from? he's checking his contacts, but he's a close mate so we spoke about posting here etc to see if you mob had better (more cost effective?) options...I don't need to drive the car so apart from moving it from it's present location further into the yard (20feet) I can leave it alone until we have a scenario that works.

cheers for the discussion thus far lads!

dom14
28th July 2015, 01:00 AM
Fleabay has these rebuild kits listed.
If you can do the job yourself, it's a big saving.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-GU-Y61-ZD30-FULL-ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-2000-1-2007-PRE-COMMON-RAIL-/151626647424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item234da70780

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Navara-D22-ZD30-Diesel-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-/151756086661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23555e1d85

or used engines,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-ENGINE-DIESEL-3-0-ZD30-TURBO-GU-W-TURBO-04-00-03-07-/281756449714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4199fe3bb2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-NAVARA-ENGINE-D22-DIESEL-TURBO-3-0-ZD30-W-TURBO-12-01-12-06-01-02-0-/271848374555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4b6d011b

Also check Bumtree. There're quite a few people sell their stuff there as well.

BTW, it's lot easier to replace the whole engine than rebuilding the old one, labour wise. All you need is an engine crane from super cheap or a hire one.
Advantage of rebuilding is that you have peace of mind for years to come. Considering you're not desperate to have the vehicle running straightaway, I would rebuild, provided you can keep the cost to a minimum. Otherwise, engine replacement is the easy and quick solution.