PDA

View Full Version : Second dizzy for RB30

dom14
24th July 2015, 02:24 AM
I got the dizzy today.
I gave it a good clean in and out.
I stopped at the point I had to dismantle the electronic breaker system and the advance mechanism.
Cleaned it with petrol, wirebrushed all the contacts and fitted it in.
It seems to be going just slightly better than the original dizzy.
So, I reckon I kinda can rule out the dizzy as the main cause of the previous and occasional misfiring problem, but rather a contributor, I reckon. But, I need to do few more trial runs.
I'm yet to replace all the leads.
I will attempt to rebuild the original dizzy. It's vacuum advance is bit dodgy and I reckon the mechanical advance mechanism is getting old and tired as well.
I think the RB30 electronic dizzy breaker system and timing advance mechanism is pretty damn good. I reckon most of the problems are caused by not doing the occasional service of the unit. By that I meant, a just a bit of clean, contact spray and some lubrication.

I've been onto the idea of radiator combustion gas leak detection as well.
At the moment I have couple of ideas and working the gadgets based on that.
I'll post the outcome soon.

I like the idea of the chemical CO test. But, the liquid is still not so cheap here.
The tester apparatus isn't that cheaper either, but you can setup your own tester with
few scraps.

my third 256
24th July 2015, 08:03 AM
what about the extender rotor button for the dizzy this could help
http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/ignition-parts-spark-plugs/extended-rotor-2

Throbbinhood
24th July 2015, 10:57 AM
Do the leads mate - I was having intermittent backfires, missing at idle and intermittently with revs, and just general poor running. Tried a few different things before I splurged on a set of leads. She runs perfectly now.

dom14
24th July 2015, 11:42 AM
what about the extender rotor button for the dizzy this could help
http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/ignition-parts-spark-plugs/extended-rotor-2

That's for TB42. Mine is an RB30.

dom14
24th July 2015, 11:44 AM
Do the leads mate - I was having intermittent backfires, missing at idle and intermittently with revs, and just general poor running. Tried a few different things before I splurged on a set of leads. She runs perfectly now.

Yeah mate. I know I gotta change them. They've been on the car for over two years, so I reckon it's about time.
I'm just took my time to find out which lead set I should go with.

mudnut
24th July 2015, 11:45 AM
Get ones that seal the
spark plugs properly.
Also get a set that
fits into the brackets
properly. I had to
file out the plastic seats
to make the thicker
leads fit.

Throbbinhood
24th July 2015, 12:23 PM
While you are doing it, get some dielectric grease, apply it to the boots on the leads on both ends. Since doing this, I've had no issues with water/bogholes/steam - though that's probably more due to the leads. For $5 for the tube, it's worth doing.

dom14
25th July 2015, 01:13 AM
Just discovered the "new" dizzy isn't happy with petrol. The timing is the same as before as far as I can see. On LPG, it's running far better than my original dizzy, but runs like crap on petrol.
What do you think guys?
Is it possible I might have ended up with one of those dizzys that's been setup for LPG?!!
My original dizzy was tuned and timing advanced for LPG, but it's still runs ok with petrol, except it pings, 'cos of too much timing advance I reckon.
But this new dizzy isn't happy with the petrol at all.
I haven't played with the timing yet, but the two dizzys obviously have different tuneup/setup.