PDA

View Full Version : i need a new cluch

Oldmate1
23rd July 2015, 11:29 AM
hi guys
i need to replace the clutch in the troll its a y61 2013 i have been quoted 2500 to replace it with a single mass exeedy hd safari tuff clutch
just trying to find out where in Brisbane that people have had theirs done and how much

thanks Ron

Hodge
23rd July 2015, 11:57 AM
Such a young car for a clutch. Any specific cause ? Towing ?

Oldmate1
23rd July 2015, 12:10 PM
Such a young car for a clutch. Any specific cause ? Towing ?

yeh some dumb f#$k (me) tried to reverse a 2-3 ton trailer up a very slight hill with the inertia brakes on i had to borrow a mates 4.2 as i thought that it was just to heavy for the crd to get it back in my drive way i didn't realize that the brake was on till i got to the tip

Hodge
23rd July 2015, 12:24 PM
Ouch. Sorry can't help with price or suggestion just curious how it happened ...

gaddy
23rd July 2015, 12:31 PM
Try bayside gearbox and clutch at merrit st capalaba ,

nissannewby
23rd July 2015, 01:13 PM
Slacks creek brake and clutch also.

Covo71
25th July 2015, 10:24 AM
Bloody expensive. I just had mine done from a dual clutch to a heavy duty exceedy single mass installed for $1600 in a GUIII

dom14
28th July 2015, 01:44 AM
Just wondering, why is that dual mass is replaced with a single mass?!
If the problem is the clutch, why not replace the clutch to match the existing flywheel?!

mudski
28th July 2015, 12:39 PM
Dual mass flywheels basically have like a rubber dampener in between two steel plates. This is done purely to help remove any vibrations. But they often fail. Replacing ot with a solid flywheel you no longer have to have concerns about a fly wheel failure. The downside is you will have a little more vibration. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Oldmate1
28th July 2015, 02:40 PM
Bloody expensive. I just had mine done from a dual clutch to a heavy duty exceedy single mass installed for $1600 in a GUIII

everyone up here that i have tried is quoting between $2000 and $2500 i wish i could get it for $1600

mudski
28th July 2015, 03:58 PM
everyone up here that i have tried is quoting between $2000 and $2500 i wish i could get it for $1600

I think I paid around $1800 for one with the lot last time...

dom14
28th July 2015, 04:04 PM
Dual mass flywheels basically have like a rubber dampener in between two steel plates. This is done purely to help remove any vibrations. But they often fail. Replacing ot with a solid flywheel you no longer have to have concerns about a fly wheel failure. The downside is you will have a little more vibration. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

They use high tensile springs to absorb the vibration, which has a certain lifespan like a clutch, apparently.
It's based on the same principle as the harmonic balancer I reckon, except rather than using a clutch system, liquid or rubber, it uses springs due to the high torque it has to handle.
I can understand replacing a cactus DMF. But, why replace a perfectly working one?
Do they have such a bad reputation that they can break anytime for no reason?!!
I'm guessing when the clutch dies we can have a look at the DMF as well and assess whether it's on it's way and replace if that's the case replace it with a SMF 'cos DMFs are pretty expensive to replace anyway.
But, replacing a one in a perfectly serviceable condition is something I don't understand yet.

Covo71
28th July 2015, 07:35 PM

I bought the clutch and had it sent up for about $1100 and install was $500 or so.

Punderhead
28th July 2015, 09:46 PM
They use high tensile springs to absorb the vibration, which has a certain lifespan like a clutch, apparently. It's based on the same principle as the harmonic balancer I reckon, except rather than using a clutch system, liquid or rubber, it uses springs due to the high torque it has to handle. I can understand replacing a cactus DMF. But, why replace a perfectly working one? Do they have such a bad reputation that they can break anytime for no reason?!! I'm guessing when the clutch dies we can have a look at the DMF as well and assess whether it's on it's way and replace if that's the case replace it with a SMF 'cos DMFs are pretty expensive to replace anyway. But, replacing a one in a perfectly serviceable condition is something I don't understand yet.

It's the fact that mechanics can't guarantee them, and I sort of understand that. If I were to pay a mechanic God $$$ to do a clutch, only to have it fail in a month, I would demand refund/replacement. As such you are highly unlikely to find a mechanic who will reuse a dmf.

Also, most kits to suit dmf come
With the new dmf, and the clutch cannot be bought separately to
The dmf. So if you have to buy it, why not Fit it while you're there!

Cheers

Cuppa
28th July 2015, 10:04 PM
What are the usual symptoms of a failing clutch - ?slipping under load or dragging? Sudden or gradual demise?

nissannewby
28th July 2015, 10:06 PM
What are the usual symptoms of a failing clutch - ?slipping under load or dragging? Sudden or gradual demise?

Can be all of the above. Usually they will start to slip but can also just fail.

A dmf can start to knock and give weird pedal feel when they fail.

Rock Trol
28th July 2015, 11:03 PM
I can understand replacing a cactus DMF. But, why replace a perfectly working one?
Do they have such a bad reputation that they can break anytime for no reason?!!

The DMF can fail well before the clutch is worn out. And it can do it without warning. One minute its working well, no slippage etc. Next minute no drive t all. Happened to a mate of mine on a trip in the high country. We had just started up the stairway to lake Cobbler. Too narrow to turn around without any drive from the Patrol. I had to tow him over the top.

dom14
29th July 2015, 05:18 PM

Somehow I tend to think, when it comes to Patrols, there appear to be more sudden demise than gradual demise like slipping under load.
Correct me if I'm wrong about that perceived statistic.

If the clutch dies suddenly, I can only think of two scenarios.
One is throw out fork bending or breaking
The other is the pressure plate springs bending or breaking.
I reckon both of the above do have some tell tale signs of failure, but would be hard to feel
on the foot as all the 4WD clutches are hydraulic. So, it's a sudden failure as far as we know.
What other things cause the clutch to have a sudden failure?
I consider the hydraulic system failure as not a catastrophic failure, 'cos you can repair it on the road.

Covo71
29th July 2015, 06:05 PM

Not sure if the 4.2 is the same as 3lt but if the clutch gets to worn you can push the hydraulic piston through too far and pop it out which is what happened to me going home on a busy afternoon through Blue Mountains. Not fun.

Robo
29th July 2015, 08:15 PM

Look it up on fleabay this may be your model excedy nsk 7699smf for you to confirm its correct.
$1300 including delivery.
I assume your quoting 2to 2500 is a fitted price.

Oldmate1
30th July 2015, 12:09 PM
Look it up on fleabay this may be your model excedy nsk 7699smf for you to confirm its correct.
$1300 including delivery.
I assume your quoting 2to 2500 is a fitted price.

yeh mate its $2000-$2500 fitted