PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Patrol 2005 ST , ANY GOOD ?

madchef
23rd July 2015, 11:24 AM
Hi all,
Im thinking of buying a nissan patrol 3lt diesel 2005 ST , it has 226000 on the clock,Manual, Full service history, looks clean inside and out, never had one before but like the look, im getting it for $ 12000, its standard with Arb bull bars. what should i be looking for when i look at it, ?? i am mechanicaly minded with petrol but not diesel. any help or anything that will help would be good .?

Thanks

Dave

4bye4
23rd July 2015, 11:54 AM
Thats a good price if its a good unit. Selling for say $1900 + ATM. Always difficult to tell what a vehicle is like without seeing it. I am assuming it is a Di GU4, and if so it might be getting a bit tired at that many K's.Do you know the history, that is towing a van or just around town or off road/fishing? Its also a difficult year to guess at, if it was earlier I would be looking for NADS or evidence of motor issues, but 2005 is less prone to grenading.

threedogs
23rd July 2015, 12:56 PM
Take the engine cover off and check for an oily intercooler. Jack up the front wheels and check wheel bearings.
Grab a pry bar and check bushes, OR spend $100 and get a proper pre-purchase inspection.
Check underneath for signs of heavy offroad use as well.

jono6974
23rd July 2015, 10:58 PM
I have a 2005 3.0 auto. Mine has now done 160 000 km. I bought it secondhand a few months ago.
So Far not much to report, it has been reliable, besides a dead battery. I would say go for it at that price.
Diesel engines generally need regular oil and filter changes. Don't skip them. I generally service earlier than required and
have never had a problem. I changed to diesel years ago and will never go back to petrol.
My last diesel was sold with well over 300 000km and not a days trouble.
Keep the maintenance regular and you will be fine.
That its a very good price for a 2005, so I would go over it very carefully.

bazzad
23rd July 2015, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a good deal, but maybe pay for an inspection if you are not sure. The ride should still be ok at that many k's.
Check the steering doesn't wobble at all as you speed up through the 80-90 km/hr area. ( tends to happen if the front suspension bushes are on the way out )
Heaps of info on the ZD30 engine on this site so maybe just do some reading. the rest of it should be fine.
Good luck

madchef
24th July 2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys, I was thinking to good price ( why ) But who knows will go and have a look and if good get an inspection, i can fix most things, BUT THE WIFE will go( told you so) if any problems lol, dont want to be taken for a ride again, as just had my boat engine stolen lol

4bye4
24th July 2015, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys, I was thinking to good price ( why ) But who knows will go and have a look and if good get an inspection, i can fix most things, BUT THE WIFE will go( told you so) if any problems lol, dont want to be taken for a ride again, as just had my boat engine stolen lol

Always an element of luck in the purchase of any vehicle. You have just got to check all that you can and hope for the best. Bad luck happens all the time, good luck not so often. Best tip is not to fall in love with it and always be prepared to walk away from the deal if it doesn't feel good. As I said in PM, I live nearby and will have a look with you. Couple of others near to you too.

madchef
27th July 2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks all , it bloody sold lol o well move on to the next one lol

threedogs
27th July 2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks all , it bloody sold lol o well move on to the next one lol

Thats ok let it go. Take your time a ripper will come along.
Not sure on your budget but $20k will see you in a modified
4.2 TD. wagon
My ZD30 is up to 220K now and all Ive done is wheel bearings at
185K along with and alternator, most recently the glow plugs.
Change the oil and filters regularly, try to redline it at least once a day,
but never hold the revs high, Im very happy with my Patrol as you would lol

4bye4
27th July 2015, 03:09 PM
might have been a bit of karma. See what else turns up. I got your pm BTW Dave.

madchef
29th July 2015, 12:26 AM
Cool , I have joined your forum just waiting to be accepted, I should have one in the next 8 weeks, save a little more lol got to sell the paj next lol, then got to test it out on them dunes lol

threedogs
29th July 2015, 01:11 PM
Cool , I have joined your forum just waiting to be accepted, I should have one in the next 8 weeks, save a little more lol got to sell the paj next lol, then got to test it out on them dunes lol

Im sure you're aware of the model/motor change in 2006.
A late model ZD30 Di will be ok, Waiting to see what you come home with. lol

madchef
29th July 2015, 02:56 PM
Hi All, Well the patrol that was gone came back up, they said they was taking off and keeping it, it was a servayers car said it was clean inside , well went had a look today in my lunch break !!!!! well first it looked realy bloody good just what i want, tyres all good paint new ARB roo bars , cool, Then i looked inside, ( they said it was clean ) it was a propper work car, dash scraches door pannels scraches floor ok a little red dirt, broken uhf radio, seats all had canvas covers, under them seats was realy good, inside roof had red dust, had a roll bar inside and cage, back seats in storage all good, Back was well dirty red dirt and scraches on plastic and on window tint, Then looked under the car, lots of dry dirt, surface rust on brakes and all bottom of car , engine run good, but was a water leak as evident dry white coolent , said had to change something cost $2500, water pump ?? under engine was a chunk of dirt coverd in black oil under crank wheel ? bottom wheel where your drive belt goes lots of oil easy change ?? oil was black inside engine and they said full service history but could only see up to 130,000 service ?, so might come down to $10,000 but i think i will walk away and wait and spend a few more $$ but have seen a 2004 200000 k looks good and full service 2 nd owner might look at that, Also the dash was well bubbling on the other one lol. Glad i went to look shame as looked good out side, happy shopping.

Cool thanks

Dave

threedogs
29th July 2015, 02:59 PM
Ex mine vehicle if it had an internal roll bar IMO
There was a recall on the bubbling dash

Hodge
29th July 2015, 03:09 PM
Dash is fixed by Nissan only if Patrol is under 6 years old.
The water leak well and truly could be the famous zd30 timing leak which Nissan still hasn't rectified even in new 3L common rails.
That car has mining car written all over it.

4bye4
29th July 2015, 04:01 PM
Hay Dave, don't walk away - run away!
Cheers Tony.

madchef
29th July 2015, 10:51 PM
Glad I went, had a good look I feel good now lol will wait no rush. One will come , only thing is you see the same cars when you look every day lol