PDA

View Full Version : uhf radio

kevin07
22nd July 2015, 09:04 AM
im trying to decide what uhf to put in my new beast your thoughts please im after a remote mic option. ive been looking at the icom 440n of gme tx3345, may as well get your thoughts on a aerial as well thanks kev.

TPC
22nd July 2015, 09:33 AM
I have the Icom IC-440N as they are so reliable and an easy to use control mic.
I work for a Two Way Radio company and we have never had a faulty 440 come in to the workshop.
For the aerial I have a RFI CD90 series antennas are very good.

MudRunnerTD
22nd July 2015, 09:41 AM
Icom 440 in both my cars. They are awesome Military spec. The one in the GUIV has the controls in the hand piece which allows the rest to go under the seat and I store the hand piece under the seat when I don't need it. They are great

MudRunnerTD
22nd July 2015, 09:42 AM
You will get 20% off at Repco for the Icom if you are an RACV or equivalent member in July.

4bye4
22nd July 2015, 09:45 AM
This could get as many answers as there are members. I have a GME mounted in the car as someone told me Oricon were no good. I then got an Oricon porty as a backup when walking or recovery and they are both brilliant. I think all the known brands are ok but if you buy on line an unknown brand you are taking a risk.

kevin07
22nd July 2015, 09:50 AM
Icom 440 in both my cars. They are awesome Military spec. The one in the GUIV has the controls in the hand piece which allows the rest to go under the seat and I store the hand piece under the seat when I don't need it. They are great

yep that's the on I want to mount it away no clutter

the evil twin
22nd July 2015, 10:54 AM
im trying to decide what uhf to put in my new beast your thoughts please im after a remote mic option. ive been looking at the icom 440n of gme tx3345, may as well get your thoughts on a aerial as well thanks kev.

Here is my recommendation for the most reliable, best performing and most versatile setup
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/icom-ic-440n-80-ch-5-watt-uhf-rfi-6-5dbi-antenna-with-2-whips

If you buy the GME then I would buy the same antenna to go with it.

99% of reccy users never need the performance of the co-linears in the 'broom stick' style antenna
An elevated feed whip antenna like the RFI is perfect

Winnie
22nd July 2015, 11:37 AM
I've got that antenna in ETs link, works fantastic.

threedogs
22nd July 2015, 12:14 PM
I use the Icom 440 as well very reliable Ive coupled it to a 6Db GME
antenna for hwy work and change to a 2Db for mountain trips

Ronin
22nd July 2015, 10:45 PM
Icom 440 as well in my patrol.

kevin07
22nd July 2015, 10:53 PM
the icom it shall be thanks people.

threedogs
23rd July 2015, 09:15 AM
I hope you have a no-drill policy for the interior?
I used 3M pressure sensitive double sided tape
for the mike holder, very strong and easy to remove if you want to shift position.
I'm about to reposition my mike to the passenger side, gives the passenger something to
do while I concentrate on driving lol

kevin07
24th July 2015, 12:49 AM
I do have a no drill policy except for the pricks who fitted the brake controller will be supplying me with a new dash that screwed it into.