PDA

View Full Version : Knocking and worn bearing noise coming through clutch pedal.

Wetty
22nd July 2015, 01:38 AM
Hi All.

It's been a long time between posts but I have been lurking in the shadows :smile:

I went for a drive in the Old Girl (2003 Grenade) a couple of days ago and after driving across some extreme corrugations, the car had developed a horrible knock/thump through the clutch pedal and a noise that sounded like a thrust bearing on its way out. The knock was intermittent, but the bearing noise was constant while moving in 4WD, 2WD and also occurred while stationary and with the clutch pedal depressed or not. . . . the knock could also be felt through the firewall and up the steering column. It drove fine, save for the knocking and bearing noise with no loss of power or any other symptoms, up or down hill but it did appear to be more frequent/evident when cornering. I drove it to the mechanics the next morning with only a very slight bearing noise and no knocking. . . . . . needless to say this had me guessing as to what the hell happened the day before :confused: The mechanic took it for a drive over a few rough bits of road and could not replicate the noise either. They chucked it on the hoist, checked all the engine and gearbox mounts, body mounts and so on but found nothing. It had it's dual mass flywheel and clutch replaced by the same mechanic 12 months ago so I know it's not that wonderful piece of engineering causing it. It's got me stuffed as to what it might be, and I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen to their wagon?

Cheers

Andrew

PS: Big thanks to Robson Bros for their services. . . . . .

dom14
23rd July 2015, 12:27 AM
and also occurred while stationary and with the clutch pedal depressed or not

Are you saying the noise occurs when the vehicle is stationary and even when the clutch pedal is not touched at all??!!!

Wetty
23rd July 2015, 01:34 AM
and also occurred while stationary and with the clutch pedal depressed or not

Are you saying the noise occurs when the vehicle is stationary and even when the clutch pedal is not touched at all??!!!
Yep, it was doing it when the vehicle was stationary with the clutch engaged and disengaged, while moving in every gear and also in neutral while rolling. . . . .but when I took it to the mechanics in the morning there was no noise at all.

dom14
23rd July 2015, 04:40 AM
Doesn't sound like the clutch or the drive train. I suggest you have a good look under the car.
Sounds like something has come loose.
Brakes, steering, suspension, etc might be good places to look.

What was this about?!!!

"PS: Big thanks to Robson Bros for their services. . . . . ."

Wetty
23rd July 2015, 06:24 AM
What was this about?!!!

"PS: Big thanks to Robson Bros for their services. . . . . ."
No charge for looking at it. . . . .

threedogs
23rd July 2015, 08:46 AM
Is it possible you picked up something while 4x4ing, and it dis lodged later

Bulbous
23rd July 2015, 03:03 PM
Check the exhaust grommets - sounds funny, but it makes horrible noises when the exhaust is loose