PDA

View Full Version : indicator light switch bringing all four lights on when signalling right.

terrytyresmoke
18th July 2015, 04:45 PM
Hello and help. I have a 1998 GU Patrol 4500 Petrol with LPG Conversion. This vehicle has covered approx 300,000 klm and is in great condition.

Travelling through NSW today and the turn indicator is bringing all four corner lights on when trying to indicate right, it is fine on the left but showing right and all four illuminate. I have cleaned all of the earth terminals I can find and even taken the combination switch apart to eliminate that as the source of the problem.

I am unsure of how to remove the hazard switch so have not disconnected that.

Trailer plug wiring seems okay

If any one can help please chip in to the thread.

Yendor
18th July 2015, 06:26 PM
Do you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry fitted?

terrytyresmoke
19th July 2015, 11:33 AM
Do you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry fitted?

Yes it has a very poorly fitted key-less system, the earth wire was attached to a steel bracket supported by the plastic of the dash panel. Have decided to remove as it will eliminate a source of dodgy wiring.

Thanks for the input I think you may have pointed me in the right direction. I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

Terry

terrytyresmoke
19th July 2015, 08:49 PM
Problem solved, spoke to Danny from Darwin Auto Mobile Care and he asked me to check the combination switch again and the 12 pin plug. The mains to the caravan fridge had overheated so I need to replace that, the problem was still there after disconnected. Removed the keyless entry system, problem remained. Went back to the combi switch and found a wire connection had pushed back in the multi plug housing, clicked it into place and the problem has gone. Back to happy trails now. Thanks for the help and interest from everyone.

Yendor
20th July 2015, 11:43 AM
That was a curly one. Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers Rodney

terrytyresmoke
8th September 2015, 03:28 PM
As a follow up to this post, the problem returned and was traced to the 12 pin plug the earth wire had overheated and melted into the reverse light wire enough to make the problem spasmodic. Live and learn I guess, Years ago I would have reamed one of our mechanics if he had not gone to the plug first. The old adage of keeping it simple went out the window because I knew the car had electronic control systems. Wrong wrong wrong.

Thanks for everyone's input.