PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Plan Ending

jack
15th July 2015, 12:49 PM
Hello,

We have a $10 plan with Telstra that's in the wifes mobile. Emergency use only so nice and cheap as it's free to call the home phone. (No data included and calls are expensive).
I have access to a satellite phone and was going to use this sim as explained by ET in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27921-Sat-phone-call-charges&highlight=satellite

Just been advised by Telstra that as it's 2G the $10 plan is ending and I need to go onto a new 4G plan, had a look at the Telstra website and cheapest is $35 p/m. Anyone aware of a cheaper Telstra plan that would work with the sat phone? And yes I have to use Telstra as the coverage is reliable.

TimE
15th July 2015, 01:25 PM
Have a look at Aldi mobile (https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/15payg), they use Telstra (don't cover the whole remote Telstra network), check Aldi website for their coverage. A starter sim is $5, top up with a $15 recharge and you have 12 months to use the $20 credit, calls @ 12c / 30 seconds, cheap and reliable and works well for me.

jack
15th July 2015, 02:06 PM
Have a look at Aldi mobile (https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/15payg), they use Telstra (don't cover the whole remote Telstra network), check Aldi website for their coverage. A starter sim is $5, top up with a $15 recharge and you have 12 months to use the $20 credit, calls @ 12c / 30 seconds, cheap and reliable and works well for me.

Thanks for that TimE, I did look at that previously but really need to stick with Telstra for the better coverage. Main issue is also the ability to use the sim card in the Sat phone. Telstra won't discontinue the plan for some time so I have time to try and find a replacement.

Throbbinhood
15th July 2015, 02:25 PM
Go into a store or call up. I was told my a Telstra rep the website deliberately doesn't advertise all available plans, but if you go into a store you'll be able to get a list of them.

Cuppa
15th July 2015, 09:06 PM

My understanding is that the Aldi coverage is actually exactly the same as Telstra nationwide, but the difference is that it only uses 3g not 4g. This is info from full time grey nomads. I also use Aldi because of the long expiry date & optimum coverage. Easy recharge using the phone. I’d recommend it too Apollofish, especially just for calls/emergency use.

the evil twin
15th July 2015, 11:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... bloody Telstra.
I've depended on that plan a couple of times now.
The mobile sits in the truck for Emergency calls and if no terrestrial coverage I whip out the sim, wack it in the Sat Phone and your connected

No "back door" pre-paids work on Irridium to my knowledge and would be gobsmacked if an Aldi one did and Telstra didn't, but if someone wants to try it please post up the results

Cuppa
15th July 2015, 11:41 PM
I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?

Apollofish - definitely do not rely on what Telstra sales people say. They were adamant that an Aldi sim would not work where we lived previously, telling me it would only have limited range outside of towns. T’was absolute rubbish, worked perfectly. Mudnut was impressed when I was able to use my phone up on the Murray during the cod fishing weekend. Others had no signal.

Clunk
15th July 2015, 11:54 PM
I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?

Apollofish - definitely do not rely on what Telstra sales people say. They were adamant that an Aldi sim would not work where we lived previously, telling me it would only have limited range outside of towns. T’was absolute rubbish, worked perfectly. Mudnut was impressed when I was able to use my phone up on the Murray during the cod fishing weekend. Others had no signal.
Would also depend on the phone you use too, some are better in rural areas than others and some are just shit

james008
16th July 2015, 01:10 AM
I had a look at the Telstra pre paid options in their app, which I believe lists all their pre paid options.
They still have reasonably cheap plans, $30-$100 recharge will last 6 months.
I couldn't view the costs for calls or texts though, so they could (and I dare say would) be a bit expensive, but it should still be okay for an emergency phone.

mudski
16th July 2015, 08:43 AM
So Telstra told you they are canning the plan? Or is it just the end of the plan for you guys? And Telstra won't let you continue? My wife had a $10 plan from iiNet, been on it for years, and the plan had been dropped by iiNet some 4 years ago. But as it had expired back then, they just kept her on the same plan/ $10 per month until we decided to upgrade. Not sure if this is the case with Telstra.

Cuppa
16th July 2015, 08:54 AM
Would also depend on the phone you use too, some are better in rural areas than others and some are just shit

Yeah that’s true. My ’Telstra Dave’ (ZTE T83) phone has a ‘blue tick’ which is supposed to indicate ‘for rural use’, (& has provision to plug in an external antenna if needed - have never used it yet, but will in the future). The important point though was that the geographical coverage for the Aldi mirrors that of Telstra plans & if fast data isn’t needed it offers an effective & low cost pre-paid service.

jack
16th July 2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies people, I'll just clarify a few points.

Telstra have sent me a three page letter to advise me 'Our 2G (GSM) 900MHz Network is being discontinued......... If you have SIM cards and/or devices that only operate on the 2G network they will stop working on 1 December.... Our records indicate that you have 1 service that will be affected.) etc. So yes it is stopping and they have told me to get a new plan and sim.

I have a 'blue tick' approved ZTE T100 phone, cheap and robust and I also have an external aerial on the Patrol - reception is brilliant compared to my Samsung in poor areas. When traveling I divert my home phone to the mobile number.
Also the Telstra plan allows free calls from my wifes mobile to the home phone, so basically free to my mobile via the divert. Pre paid plans don't allow this.

The other main reason I really like the $10 plan it allows you to use it in a satellite phone, plus the good coverage compared to other providers.

I don't know if the Aldi or other Telstra plans allow this, that was may main question.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/DECOMMISSIONING-OUR-2G-GSM-900MHz-NETWORK/ba-p/440992

Also I see in the Aldi coverage detail: 'Outside the 3G coverage footprint, customers will revert to 2G coverage and speeds.' wonder what will happen when 2G is discontinued by Telstra?

Bob
16th July 2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies people, I'll just clarify a few points.

Telstra have sent me a three page letter to advise me 'Our 2G (GSM) 900MHz Network is being discontinued......... If you have SIM cards and/or devices that only operate on the 2G network they will stop working on 1 December.... Our records indicate that you have 1 service that will be affected.) etc. So yes it is stopping and they have told me to get a new plan and sim.

I have a 'blue tick' approved ZTE T100 phone, cheap and robust and I also have an external aerial on the Patrol - reception is brilliant compared to my Samsung in poor areas. When traveling I divert my home phone to the mobile number.
Also the Telstra plan allows free calls from my wifes mobile to the home phone, so basically free to my mobile via the divert. Pre paid plans don't allow this.

The other main reason I really like the $10 plan it allows you to use it in a satellite phone, plus the good coverage compared to other providers.

I don't know if the Aldi or other Telstra plans allow this, that was may main question.

I understand that Telstra's 2G Network will be closed on 1st December 2016

See this
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/DECOMMISSIONING-OUR-2G-GSM-900MHz-NETWORK/ba-p/440992

jack
16th July 2015, 10:54 AM
ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you? .

Great idea Cuppa, I'm happy to pay postage if that helps :wink: I see you can order these online and includes free postage.

TimE
16th July 2015, 11:47 AM

My experience with the Aldi version of Telstra is it does not have the full coverage that Telstra Telstra (!) has. eg on a recent trip along the Transcontinental Railway line Telstra Telstra phones has coverage, same across the Eyre Highway, my Aldi Telstra didn't, check the Aldi coverage map against the Telstra coverage map. Also with the Aldi sim you cannot get international roaming turned on, hence can't use the sim in a Sat phone.

Chimo
16th July 2015, 12:00 PM
Calls 12c per min on Aldi

We can call overseas with our Amaysim service that also cost 12 c per minute with $15 auto top ups. Not sure of Aust wide coverage but so far so go. Try one of their $5 sims in your sat phone Get them at 7 11 sevos

rusty_nail
16th July 2015, 12:09 PM
jack to be honest mate, i would be kicking up a stink. tell em how long you have been a paying customer and that they are treating you like dirt. ALL their plans are negitiable but they wont tell you that. ask for them to match a plan like what you currently have dont let them know you actually need to use them but tell them that you want to use them. at the end of the day your not talking to them to make friends, i would kick up a stink and kick and whinge and try to get anything out of them to bring the plan down to being similar to your current plan. even make mention of the TIO(Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman) and that you MAY make a complaint, whether you have a leg to stand on with them is not your concern its just about getting the person on the other end of the line nervous enough to give you as much as they actually can to get rid of you haha. good luck with it mate!

the evil twin
16th July 2015, 09:34 PM

Thats an awesome offer Cuppa (Aldi will be here in WA soon but none as yet) so thanks heaps but don't worry about it at the moment.

The only Telstra Plan and Sim that is non-satellite specific that I have ever gotten to work in an Irridium Phone is that $10 one.

All of my other Telstra Sims (work and private and some of them are BIG call/data packs) will not succesfully complete the Irridium log on process.
Once upon a time if you activated international roaming on post paid accounts some of the Sims would but not anymore.

Because of the $10 one working and a lack of interest as I don't use any Satellite uplinks anymore for work I haven't been on the Satellite forums for ages to keep up with the gossip and hacks.
I'll try there first if my Sim stops logging on Irridium, mainly 'cause I'm a lazy old fart and it's heaps easier if someone else has already had the required brain explosions trying to get it working