PDA

View Full Version : Newly Brought 99 2.8 GU Blown Head/Head Gasket?

ZGR
13th July 2015, 09:39 PM
Hi,

First time Patrol owner....

Unfortunately 2 weeks in a newly brought Patrol issues are starting to creep up.
If anyone is able to give me second opinions on what could be wrong it would be great!

There are no signs of overheating, but I drive very gently i.e never exceed 2500rpm.

Here is what I have noticed:
1) White smoke on cold start (does not blow any smoke when driving or when warm, not even black smoke)
2) Difficult to cold start, I have to hold the throttle pedal all the way down a few times before it will start
3) Uses water. Seems to be gradually using more and more.

The radiator has been pressure tested twice... no leaks where found. The heater has also been checked and found no leaks....
I am now reasonably convinced that 1 & 3 is caused by something with the head. Either a cracked head or gaskets.

Would anyone know that If only the gasket is blown, will I also end up cracking the head if I keep driving it?

Suggestions on what the cause of 2 in particularly would be greatly appreciated! I am pretty blank on that one.....

Thanks everyone in advance! Really looking forward to getting this GU become a reliable daily driver :wink: sooner the better!

mudnut
13th July 2015, 09:53 PM
Hello ZGR, and
welcome to the forum.

Have you bought a new
radiator cap and made
sure the lip seals properly.
Is the hose to the overflow
tank ok, and is the lid and tank
ok?

The glow plugs may have
an issue, but a Diesel Guru
should be able to tell you.

Clunk
13th July 2015, 10:28 PM
Have you checked under the engine oil filler cap for milky sludge?

ZGR
13th July 2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have replaced both radiator caps (however, I did mistakenly put in two pressure caps which I am planning to replace very soon). From my 'inspection' the lids and hoses seem alright, are there anything in particular I can to look for or test?

There is none int he engine oil cap, but a tiny bit of milky sludge the radiator cap. Which from what I have read around, is a definitive sign of head problems.

Do head problems lead to difficult cold starts?

It would also be great if anyone can recommend a place where I can get it checked out without leaving an arm or a leg... I am in Brisbane but am willing to travel (GC/SC, etc...) .

dom14
14th July 2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have replaced both radiator caps (however, I did mistakenly put in two pressure caps which I am planning to replace very soon). From my 'inspection' the lids and hoses seem alright, are there anything in particular I can to look for or test?

There is none int he engine oil cap, but a tiny bit of milky sludge the radiator cap. Which from what I have read around, is a definitive sign of head problems.

Do head problems lead to difficult cold starts?

It would also be great if anyone can recommend a place where I can get it checked out without leaving an arm or a leg... I am in Brisbane but am willing to travel (GC/SC, etc...) .

Well, if I'm you and I'm into the idea of saving costs, I would do the combustion gas test.
You can purchase the kit on fleabay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVjkyLdID4

You can take the vehicle to a mechanic, it will cost around the same.

Depend on the climate you are living, bit of condensation under the engine oil cap can be ok, but I would wait for an expert to post an opinion on that.
Sludge under radiator cap is bad news though.

Yes, head problems lead to difficult cold starts due to low compression, as well as water in the
combustion chamber.

But, little bit of white smoke on cold start can be condensation as well.
Diesel is known to get contaminated by water and bacteria.
So, it's not unusual to experience white smoke at cold start on some vehicles.

Last but not the least, you're saying that it's using up water.
If it's not leaking water, then it's definitely head issues.
I wouldn't drive it like that if I'm you.
Even though it's driveable, it's causing excessive wear and tear on the cylinder bores as well as can cause more cracks in the head.

Get the head pulled out by a mechanic nearby and have it reconditioned.
It won't be cheap, unless you are ready to grab the Patrol repair manual and do it yourself.

These guys deliver reconditioned heads to your door step.
You might need to have the old head out and ready for them to take away though.

http://www.allhead.com.au/landing/index.html.

I reckon for a 2.8 diesel head, you'll be definitely looking at over a grand for the head alone.

I find above guys are lot cheaper and reliable than taking the head to an unknown head rebuilder.

dom14
14th July 2015, 01:17 AM
I was wrong after all.
They do have cheaper and new RD28 heads in the neck of your woods.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-CYLINDER-HEAD-RD28-TURBO-NEW-BARE-AFTERMARKET-/151595815774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item234bd0935e

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-RD28-NEW-BARE-CYLINDER-HEAD-/151094686120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item232df1f1a8

or a reconditioned one,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Cylinder-Head-6-cyl-RD28T-RD28-Diesel-new-/251299435370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a829d136a

And the head gasket,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-Y60-Y61-RD28-DIESEL-TURBO-MULTI-LAYER-STEEL-HEAD-GASKET-1-42MM-/201146030285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ed53cd8cd

Those two are the biggest spare part cost. The rest will be a shite load of labour.

Covo71
15th July 2015, 08:01 PM
White smoke, using water and presuming no visible leaks sounds suspiciously like a cracked head.

ZGR
6th February 2016, 09:30 AM
Been a while, I thought I should give an update what finally happened :gossip:

The head was gone, it now has a brand new head. Was told that the fuel pump was giving error code readings as well (was not told the specifics).
But things are now in working order... Looking to start modding with 3' exhaust :driving2: