PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 power loss.. cnt even pull skin off the custard..

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 08:30 PM
Hello there fellow patrol family.. having bit of drama with this pootrol of mine... now ever since i bort my bus it had a random high idle... aftr a few months and a few dollars latr i finally found and fixd the problem.. it seems it was a faulty throttle position sensor dwn by the throttle pedal assembly...yayy... but just resently on another note it has lost power.. (was doing it befor i replaced tps) i thought it might have been leaking intercooler so i replaced with an aftrmarket one wiv the end tanks tig welded up.. im seeing a solid 18-psi on my boost gauge with my dawes and needle valve set to just open... but it feels like a slug.. i can barely get it to hit 80ks downhill... lol.. and further more its drinking alot of juice... tryed without dawes and needle valve.. boost is all over the show.. the lighter the right pedal the higher the boost goes up... (if i feather the gas) but then when u go to put your foot down boost actual drops off right dwn to like 5 psi.. then if u let u foot of the throttle and back on it will instantly shoot upto 15psi... wasnt liking that so put dawes and needle valve back on...

Heres whats on the motor so far...

Blocked egr
Dawes and needle valve.. sits arnd 18psi...
Hpd catch can
Hpd maf housing and lid
Aftrmarket intercooler
4 inch stainless snorkle all the way to the airbox
manter dump pipe bakto standrd system

Ok heres what ive done...

Injector pump
Cleaned maf
New battery terminals
Extra earth straps
Replaced all vacume lines
fuel filter
Oil filter
Air filter
Replaced tps
Replaced factory intercooler
Glow plugs
Injectors
Ecu and glow relays
Checkd and tidied up all lose/messy wiring
Disconected batterys for a few hrs multible times

Getn a ecu talk which will hopefully help wiv diagnosing problems... but im thinking if its boosting ok.. then it must be a fueling problem... cleaned the maf few times with no noticeable difrence... thinking might be faulty.. anyone knw where to source a replacement.. refuse to pay what nissan charges for anything...

Any help/suggestions much apreciated...

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

mudski
9th July 2015, 09:05 PM
Mate i reckon i will have a good second hand maf somewhere. If not, pm Scott, Covo, i sent him one for a test he might still have. But i reckon ill have one...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:09 PM
Hay mark im keen to take u up on that offer.. hw much u wnt? if its just the maf and is only a matter of switching it out for another i will be a happy man.. haha

Sir Roofy
9th July 2015, 09:17 PM
Heres a shot in the dark have you checked for a broken wire on the MAF plug its self
and voltage with what you have done it should fly

mudski
9th July 2015, 09:21 PM
No worries mate. Happy to help. I just need to see what i have. Im sure i have one or two somewhere in the garage. But its a mess at the moment with my patrol in pieces. Ill look tomorrow mate. Then we'll worry about costs.
I bloody hope it is a maf. Lol. But i do remember a guy with a crd and he said his patrol just had no guts. Wasnt hitting limp mode though. He bought a new maf from me and rang me up so happy as the maf was the culprit.

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:21 PM
Wires at the plug look good... havnt checkd voltage.. waitn for my ecu talk to show up.. but it feels like its fuel deprived.. hence why i think faulty maf...

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:22 PM
Thnks mudski...

Hodge
9th July 2015, 09:22 PM
Geezus. Is there anything you didn't replace on the thing. To me this is pointing to a bad MAF sending wrong signals, thus, ratio is out of whack, hence the high fuel usage. What are your EGT's like, if you have the gauge ?

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:27 PM
Haha ye i knw ive replaced just about everythng i cn thnk of.. befor it decided to be a slug i was running arnd 26psi and it was running mint.. currently if its boostn then egts are realy low.. around 250-350.. if boost goes below 5psi the egts climb to arnd 400...

mudski
9th July 2015, 09:38 PM
I am posting the ecu talk tomorrow mate. Ill look for the maf and send them together.

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:41 PM
Champion mate... thnks

Hodge
9th July 2015, 09:41 PM
I am posting the ecu talk tomorrow mate. Ill look for the maf and send them together.

Is the CRD and Di MAF the same? I think I still have my old one (working) when I was eliminating faults a while ago, and bought a new MAF from you. If you're struggling and IF I find my old one, I'm more than happy to hand it over for him to try.

Hodge
9th July 2015, 09:42 PM
Sorry, that was providing they're the same...

mullet_hunter
9th July 2015, 09:45 PM
Algood hodge.. think there difrent.. ive got the earlier round one and url have the latr square one.. thanks tho mate...

threedogs
10th July 2015, 11:48 AM
Are all your fuel lines clear with no partial block
can you disconnect at the tank end and the IP end
and blow a small amout of air through the fuel lines.
You're not sucking air anywhere are you.
Did you disconnect the battery when you installed the TPS.
as the ECU may have memory of the old one. just throwing it
out there for you.

mullet_hunter
10th July 2015, 11:50 AM
Ye mate tried all that and more.. lol.. im hoping if i just replace the maf it will come right..

threedogs
10th July 2015, 11:52 AM
Fingers crossed for you mate, no one close by with an ECU-talk.
Take it down to SCA for a scan Thats all Ive got ATM

mullet_hunter
10th July 2015, 11:58 AM
I bort the ecu talk off mudski so should arive some time nxt week... engine light hasnt come on and hasnt thrown any fault codes.. will be able to hopefull diagnose easier wiv ecu talk... howd u go with ur intake setup?

threedogs
10th July 2015, 12:03 PM
Too sore ATM to fit it, I'll have to wait and see how I feel after my next Op[18]
Your Maf I'm going to give to a 4x4 shop and get them to skim 1.5mm out of it.
12mm braided hose gives the engine bay a nice touch with AN10 hose ends lol

mullet_hunter
10th July 2015, 12:04 PM
Sexy.. haha

mudski
10th July 2015, 02:01 PM
O.k I am sending two MAFs mate. One is OEM, it was my spare, its used (its the one that has a some grease around the oring) but I know this one worked in my car. The second is new aftermarket, it was sent back from a customer, he reckons it was faulty, I tested it in my car and it worked fine. So dunno about that but try it.
Sending these and the ECU talk today mate.

mullet_hunter
10th July 2015, 02:21 PM
O.k I am sending two MAFs mate. One is OEM, it was my spare, its used (its the one that has a some grease around the oring) but I know this one worked in my car. The second is new aftermarket, it was sent back from a customer, he reckons it was faulty, I tested it in my car and it worked fine. So dunno about that but try it.
Sending these and the ECU talk today mate.
Thanks mate.. once again legend..[emoji12]

threedogs
10th July 2015, 05:46 PM
Hope this sorts it out once and for all mate,

mullet_hunter
10th July 2015, 05:54 PM
Cheers mate..

IronVoid
15th July 2015, 08:55 PM
Hey mate, with your problem, do you find you can get it to hold boost if you have the throttle in the right spot? For example too much throttle you lose boost and backing off (while at speed) can cause it drop (dramatically) too? Your problem sounds a similar to mine.

mullet_hunter
15th July 2015, 09:00 PM
Ye mate.. if your light on the throttle it will hold boost at arnd 15psi if u go to put your foot dwn... boost goes dwn with it...

mullet_hunter
15th July 2015, 09:02 PM
Hopefully its just a faulty maf sensor... it only drops off boost with the factory setup.. boost is ok wiv the dawes n needle setup.. but zero balls... have u got power loss too?

IronVoid
15th July 2015, 10:22 PM
I have power lose as well. I don't have the needle valve yet (forgot to check if it was included when I got my dawes system etc done) I have stuff all power as well and to try and keep my boost under control I have to take a stupidly long time to get to 100km/h and can only cruise at most 105km/h any faster it will drop boost (think needle valve will fix that coz it seems to be around the 2300RPM, which is where the ECU drops boost on a standard set-up.

IronVoid
15th July 2015, 10:23 PM
Unfortunately mate I'm not sure a MAF will help, I've tried it with no success, so I'm replacing I/C hoses

mullet_hunter
15th July 2015, 10:40 PM
With dawes and needle valve i can get 18psi without any boost drop..my guess is the ecu isnt adding the extra fuel for the extra air.. so im hoping jus a faulty maf... will be able to do further testing once my ecu talk shows up.. and mudski was kind enough to send me out a couple maf sensors to test out too... as for needle valve.. all that does is adjust spool up rate of turbo.. i have mine barely open frm the closed position... no black smoke comming out the back of urs? If so id say boost leak if not then u might have same as me... lol.. blimn pootrol..

IronVoid
15th July 2015, 10:49 PM
I was having massive power issues and lots of black smoke, but it got pretty much all cleared when I blocked the EGR and fitted the dawes and catch can. I'm not sure what my boost was before all of that though as I got the gauge done at the same time. I just know now I'm not having the massive power lose i was having before, which wouldn't let me get above 80km/h. Now I can get up to speed I just can't keep boost. power still isn't great though.

mullet_hunter
15th July 2015, 11:20 PM
have u checked ur turbo? my boost only drops off if i run it in standard form with no dawes etc... it was spiking had too... like if i put my foot down boost would drop but then i would put my foot off and then back on a little bit and boost would jump from say 5psi to 15psi.. boost drop off if you get off the gas is normal but not normal if its drop boost under load..

IronVoid
15th July 2015, 11:45 PM
Turbo was replaced 9000k ago, it blew the day after I bought the vehicle.

mullet_hunter
16th July 2015, 12:16 AM
Did u disconcet battery fora hour or two when u changed ur maf? Ur egts should get hot pretty quick if you aint running much boost so keep in eye on that too...

IronVoid
16th July 2015, 12:59 AM
Yea battery disconnected for about 1 and a half hrs

mullet_hunter
17th July 2015, 08:38 PM
How you going with your problems mate? Finally got aroundd to swapping out my maf sensor for another one... instantly fixed.. boostn 20psi and it pulls hrd... love it...

mullet_hunter
17th July 2015, 08:45 PM
Cheers mudski for the maf s3nsor to test out... cnt thnk u enough...