PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor

Stevelb21
9th July 2015, 07:16 PM
Hi all, just finish giving the MAF sensor a good clean. Bought a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner from SCA for $26:95. Put the white rag underneath to catch all the dirty solvent, and it came out clean as a whistle. I had a receipt for a full service the dealer had done before I purchased the Patrol , but it made no mention of the MAF Sensor. But job done now and I feel good.

mudski
9th July 2015, 11:16 PM
Make it part of your service mate. Every oil change, clean the maf....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

vfamily
10th July 2015, 08:54 AM
i love a nice clean maf

Tonyg1969
10th July 2015, 10:54 AM
I asked the dealership about the maf being cleaned on my last service (50k) and he said they only clean it if an issue has been raised by the customer. He was the service manager, not the pretty face behind the counter.

threedogs
10th July 2015, 11:17 AM
Make it part of your service mate. Every oil change, clean the maf....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Disconnect the battery while you do it to

mudski
10th July 2015, 12:33 PM
Disconnect the battery while you do it to
And that too....

Stevelb21
10th July 2015, 04:35 PM
I did that bit as well connected it back up this afternoon when I got home from work....see I do read the threads.....lol

morton2478
3rd February 2016, 09:51 PM
Has any one used contact cleaner to clean there maf sensor

GeeYou8
3rd February 2016, 09:58 PM
I don't think it has the solvent to dissolve the gum.

morton2478
3rd February 2016, 10:19 PM
Ok cool thanks

steve4377
5th February 2016, 02:17 AM

I use contact cleaner on the maf every oil change, only because it's half the price of MAF cleaner. It's probably the same thing and is safe to use on all electronics and switches in your vehicle such as light switches and power window switches that play up in the tropics. I'll bet Sydney to a brick that MAF cleaner is rebadged contact cleaner with a price hike. But in any case a great idea to clean it every oil change. I also just fitted a Provent 200 Catch can - bit hexie at $170 but very professional unit and already caught a fair amount of oil mist. Food for thought anyway, as it is the oil from the PCV that is believed to dirty the MAF sensor in the first place. Good wishes mate.

morton2478
5th February 2016, 10:42 PM
Thats why i asked the question about the contact cleaner as i use it a lot for the switches and conectors on the tractors a lot and wonderd if it was similar to maf cleaner

GeeYou8
6th February 2016, 09:53 AM
I use contact cleaner at work too, the MAF cleaner smells different to the contact cleaner, sort of like contact cleaner mixed with petrol.

For serious dissolving power we use Electrolube FLU fluxclene (sp?) it smells like citrus and instantly dissolves soldering flux residue and gum from sticky labels.
For switches & connectors I would recommend Deoxit D5, it does not evaporate off like the contact cleaner it is oily, sort of like very expensive WD40. It is made for professional audio engineers, it works very well.
These products are expensive compared to WD40 or contact cleaner but if you want to do the job, you should get the right cleaner.
There is a non flammable contact cleaner available, tried it once, it damages plastics & does not work as well as the standard stuff, would never use it again.

Tonyg1969
6th February 2016, 09:26 PM
Hey GU8
Citra force at work, soun

Tonyg1969
6th February 2016, 09:31 PM
Sorry didn't have specs on while doing previous post and hit wrong button.
Was trying to ask would Citra force do the trick. It's a degreaser/ cleaner we use at work. Very good stuff. Thoughts?

GeeYou8
6th February 2016, 11:14 PM
My thoughts are use MAF cleaner, if your MAF plays up it will be expensive.

the evil twin
6th February 2016, 11:25 PM
Any quality brand Electronic Cleaner will do the job perfectly well, that is all MAF cleaner is after all...

Once a year or every 20,000 K's is plenty often enough to clean them.
Any more is just a waste of time and money

Col.T
9th February 2016, 07:37 PM
Just a quicky 3D,
why disconnect the battery?
Would have thought the state of cleanliness of the wires would have been apparent to the computer. Isn't that sort of info 'rolling' rather than stored?
Col

threedogs
9th February 2016, 07:42 PM
It may,,,,,may remember the state of the MAF when dirty
so disconnect it so it starts fresh with better values,
does that sound right

Col.T
10th February 2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks 3D man,
something I'd not considered. Could go either way I guess but I've not done the disconnect yet (many cleans) and haven't had any probs yet.
Cheers,
Col

bazzaboy
4th March 2016, 03:43 PM
I don't think it has the solvent to dissolve the gum.

A good brand contact cleaner works just as good. Been using it on industrial electrical gear for years and this stuff gets greasy.