PDA

View Full Version : Should I fit a Winch Mount on GUIII winch bar?

AJTich
6th July 2015, 08:01 PM
Hi,
I am putting a RUNVA 11XP into by GUIII wagon in the next two weeks, and wanted to know if it is a good idea to fit one of those ebay winch mounts as added support between the chassis and NISSAN steel winchbar.
Any pics or build threads available would be much appreciated.
I did search, but overall only saw them fitted to alloy bars.

Bacho86
6th July 2015, 08:14 PM
There are a few of us that have installed Runva winches recently onto factory nissan winch bars. Have a look at my build thread or rocket55 or lucus30 for some pics (I'm only on my phone now but maybe someone else can link them up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJTich
6th July 2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks or help. I did the search, but so many are onto aluminium bars.. Will check it out..

Rock Trol
6th July 2015, 08:21 PM
The standard NISSAN Winch bar is rated to 9000 pounds so if the cradle is rated stronger then maybe its worth it. You also don't need to rotate the gear box etc as you can mount it the way the factory intended.

AJTich
6th July 2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks Backo86, and all. I checked out yours, Rocket55 and lucus30's posts on the fit, and really looking forward to getting mine done.

Bacho86
7th July 2015, 08:05 AM
No worries mate give us a shout if you need a hand but it should be relatively straight forward once you've rotated the clutch and worked out where to install the control box

AJTich
7th July 2015, 09:25 AM
No worries mate give us a shout if you need a hand but it should be relatively straight forward once you've rotated the clutch and worked out where to install the control box

The directions you've given, and YouTube, and the other guys' Build posts will make moat of that a lot easier. Thanks.

AJTich
7th July 2015, 05:03 PM
Hey Rock Trol,
Did you fit one with your 9500_Q? Seems most times the winch cradle is used is for alloy bars. Want to buy a generic, but worry it won' fit is my main issue.

Rock Trol
7th July 2015, 07:07 PM
Hey Rock Trol,
Did you fit one with your 9500_Q? Seems most times the winch cradle is used is for alloy bars. Want to buy a generic, but worry it won' fit is my main issue.

Mine is installed in the Nissan steel bar as per usual method (rotated gearbox). I was just thinking you wanted to mount it differently. Using the cradle could make it stronger I suppose.

outback
7th July 2015, 07:44 PM
The standard NISSAN Winch bar is rated to 9000 pounds so if the cradle is rated stronger then maybe its worth it. You also don't need to rotate the gear box etc as you can mount it the way the factory intended.

Is the Nissan bar rated at 9000 lbs?
All the web blurb says is Winch compatible (Warn 9000lb)

I have considered a cradle for mounting the winch but it seems that the bull bar is mounted on some of the cradle mount points as well.
Also mounting a cradle would this not effect the crush zone and airbag behaviour? Legal things I suppose.

Bacho86
7th July 2015, 07:55 PM
The Nissan steel winch bars are made by arb and designed to accept a winch (admittedly it says only a warn winch...) so there should be no need to add additional cradles....

AJTich
7th July 2015, 08:00 PM
Is the Nissan bar rated at 9000 lbs?
All the web blurb says is Winch compatible (Warn 9000lb)

I have considered a cradle for mounting the winch but it seems that the bull bar is mounted on some of the cradle mount points as well.
Also mounting a cradle would this not effect the crush zone and airbag behaviour? Legal things I suppose.
Mine is 2004 Di. Yes that was my concern that I buy it and then not be able to fit. Would love if I could find a build pic with it on a steel bullbar. Oh well...

Rock Trol
7th July 2015, 11:04 PM
My winch bar has a sticker on it and I am pretty sure it says 9000 pounds. The winch in mine (EWX9500-Q Competition) is a little longer than many others as it has a 8.6 HP motor and it still fit with a mm or so of gap. It is 577 mm in length. The 11XP is only 540mm long as it has a 6.5 HP motor and will fit without a problem.

AJTich
28th July 2015, 02:20 PM
Has anyone else fitted a 12000 to standard Nissan steel winch compatible bar?
I have just been offered a good deal on a RUNVA EWX 12000 instead of the 11XP I had planned on...

However the reseller said that the 12000 will not go straight into the standard NISSAN steel bar as there is a piece on the chassis gets in the way.
I hoped to just drop it in, and wondered if anyone has had the same issue, and a fix they have documented, so i know what i am up against.

The 11XP will go in easy, but the bigger gear and motor seems the way to go...just worried i am gonna be out of depth on my own...

threedogs
28th July 2015, 04:33 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-Patrol-Winch-Cradle-suit-Genuine-Nissan-alloy-bullbar-Tjm-ARB-bullbars-/261975047343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cfeedfcaf

Have a look at this cradle 8mm thick and looks like it suits most winches
I had to space my winch up 30mm to fit my WARN XP 9.5,TJM T16 outback bar