PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my front Panhard Rod

Caledwvech
6th July 2015, 09:39 AM
Hey Guys,

I have an issue with my front Panhard. On the left hand side (lower) the bolt keeps coming loose. Not heaps loose, but loose enough that you can move the washer around a bit. This makes me think that the bushes or something are worn on that end. On the other end the bush is definitely loose / worn. It has about a 2-3mm play in it when you move the tyres. I have a couple of questions....

How serious is this? Do I need to replace asap? I am going on another 4WD trip on 18th July. Does it need to be done before then?
I dont know the brand of the panhard. The only sticker on it says Panhard005. Doesn't help a lot. Do you need to know the brand to get the bush?
Would you think that replacing the bushes at either end would be the best option? It's not going to cost THAT much more to replace the whole thing. Like buses $150-$200, whole thing $200-$300.

Thanks guys.

BigRAWesty
6th July 2015, 10:43 AM
Sounds like both are stuffed. They have a crush tube in them so should be torqued up to spec.
There a simple press in bush but will need a decent press (100+T) and some lube.
Replace em with genuine nissan.. it'll cost more but will get 100's of thousands k's out of them.. a replacement rod will have the same cheap bushes in it

Caledwvech
6th July 2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks for that. When you say genuine Nissan will be better, does that mean they will be better than like ARB or Tough Dog or equivalent? My Patrol has a 3in lift....

Maxhead
6th July 2015, 12:30 PM
There was a recall on the panhard bolt this year for bolt potentially coming loose .What model is yours?

..........on the move

MudRunnerTD
6th July 2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks for that. When you say genuine Nissan will be better, does that mean they will be better than like ARB or Tough Dog or equivalent? My Patrol has a 3in lift....

Yes OEM Nissan Rubber bushes are the go mate.

Caledwvech
6th July 2015, 12:34 PM
What Model Patrol? It's the 2002 ST GU Patrol. But I dont think that recall would apply as it's got an aftermarket PanHard rod on it.....

Maxhead
6th July 2015, 12:36 PM
What Model Patrol? It's the 2002 ST GU Patrol. But I dont think that recall would apply as it's got an aftermarket PanHard rod on it.....

Mine was aftermarket as well and they fitted a silly looking bracket to fix the issue. Might pay to check with the recall website if you model was effected

..........on the move

Caledwvech
6th July 2015, 03:18 PM
Ok thanks for all your help. I am sorry to be a pain, but I am new at all this sourcing your own stuff. Used to having new cars and just take it in for a service every 6 months and that it. :)

Anyway I see that ebay has a number of the genuine bushes up. eg.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Y60-Front-Rear-Panhard-Rod-Bushes-NEW-/151628379291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item234dc1749b. However they are apparently different for the Series 1 GU and the Series 2 and 3 GUs. How the heck do I know if I have a series 1 or series 2 GU? Excuse my ignorance and perhaps unforgivable on a site like this, but still....... The model number is Y6101B..... Am I correct in thinking that because I have the 4.8L Petrol it has to be a Series 3?

If so, they are a lot harder to find, and the 6 week + waiting period for the whole rod to come from Japan is unacceptable. Thinking getting a whole new rod may be the best bet....

BigRAWesty
6th July 2015, 06:48 PM
To the best of my knowledge the only difference between all of the diffs is either a 50mm width from gq to gu and a larger diff center in one of the models (may have been the 4.8 petrol? ??) But all the bushes and rods etc are the same threw out

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk