PDA

View Full Version : Which Impact Wrench?

TheFlyingBadger
1st July 2015, 01:24 PM
I'm looking to get a cordless impact wrench for my birthday (hint hint (in case she's reading))...

I'm invested into the Dewalt XR 18V LiIon series, so it will need to be one of those..

Essentially, i'm looking for thoughts, pros/cons, around these 2

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/3.jpg
DCF880N (http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCF880N/info/specifications/)
$185

Compact
203 Nm Torque

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/4.jpg
DCF889N (http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCF889N/info/specifications/)
$249

Much Bigger
418 Nm Torque

In theory the smaller one is a better "fit" for use on the 'trol (wheels only go to 118Nm), but is the (much) larger capacity of the 889 "worth" the expense of the much bigger unit? Especially considering that it will be travelling around in my drawers.

Thoughts/experiences?

Jon

4bye4
1st July 2015, 02:11 PM
G'day Jon, I have both siszes, albeit in another brand in my workshop. I usually take the larger more powerful one with me when we go bush. its not just the torque for wheel nuts you need, but in the case of an emergency repair you may want to undo chassis bolts or other "tight" nuts and bolts.
Tony

TheFlyingBadger
1st July 2015, 03:15 PM
G'day Jon, I have both siszes, albeit in another brand in my workshop. I usually take the larger more powerful one with me when we go bush. its not just the torque for wheel nuts you need, but in the case of an emergency repair you may want to undo chassis bolts or other "tight" nuts and bolts.
Tony

true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? ;) (mine's in the repairers *again* at the minute)

I guess that i won't be using it for extended periods so the heavier unit won't be too much of a drag that way, although it's bound to be too big to get into some spots that we need it to (thanks Murphy)

Clunk
1st July 2015, 03:35 PM
No idea but I'm going to get one of theses, seeing as I've already got a driver and drill

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-cordless-impact-wrench-skin-only_p6210301

4bye4
1st July 2015, 03:36 PM
true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? you might want to help out a yota or landi driver. If it's a jeep you will get by with a shifter and duct tape.

threedogs
1st July 2015, 04:41 PM
true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? you might want to help out a yota or landi driver. If it's a jeep you will get by with a shifter and duct tape.

If you hire it out to yoto drivers it will pay for itself in no time.lol
IMO I would buy the more powerful, less strain on stubborn bolts/nuts
might want to check if the battery is reversible ,

billyj
1st July 2015, 04:45 PM
being a chippie, ive got both sizes in milwaukee and id definetly go the big one, while the smaller ones might be rated to 200+nm at that point there working real hard, having tried both on wheel nuts the smaller ones (got 3 brushed and brushless versions) and it can be a struggle for them to crack the nut and get it moving where the big one just undoes it effortlessly. the bigger one will also allow you to get bigger bolts like harmonis balancers undone. i never even use my older air powered guns at home any more straight to the cordless

Winnie
1st July 2015, 07:38 PM
No idea but I'm going to get one of theses, seeing as I've already got a driver and drill

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-cordless-impact-wrench-skin-only_p6210301
I've got this one... It's awesome!

Cuppa
1st July 2015, 09:38 PM
Cordless tools have come a long way in a few year eh?

It’s only recently I’ve understood the difference between an impact wrench & an impact driver. I have an air impact wrench which has saved my bacon a few times, but can understand why a battery one would be a great addition to the tool collection.

My 18v lithium ion cordless Makita collection continues to grow. Most recent addition was an impact driver which I scored brand new for $70 (skin only) & I’ve been using it for the past couple of days building myself some workbenches for the new shed. I reckon I’ve put in 250+ 75mm timber screws plus 60 or 70 50mm screws & have found the little cordless driver so much better than using a drill. I bought it not fully understanding quite what it did, just put faith in the fact that people who own them rate them highly. I was quite disappointed when I discovered it had no clutch, but have found it very controllable & a joy to use. Don’t know how I ever managed without it.

I can easily envisage a cordless impact driver joing the collection, maybe Santa will bring one. Trouble is the collection of batteries is growing too & they are not cheap. I reckon I have $500 just in batteries now with a recent purchase of two new 3Ah to add to my 3 3year old 3Ah’s.

Bloggsy
1st July 2015, 10:08 PM
I've got this one... It's awesome!

Yep have one of these ryobi impact wrenches too. Makes life so much easier.

garett
1st July 2015, 10:47 PM
i run a smaller one but its Hitachi love that thing but need a bar to crack the tight bolts.

Rock Trol
2nd July 2015, 12:24 AM
I have Ryobi tools as well (drill/vac/blower) so that impact wrench might be an addition. 265 nm of torque sounds good.
How does it perform in the real world on lug nuts and other bolts that have not been undone for a long time?

BigRAWesty
2nd July 2015, 01:25 AM
The compacts are handle but pretty much limited to 10mm bolts..
What sorta uses are you expecting

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Winnie
2nd July 2015, 08:01 AM
I have Ryobi tools as well (drill/vac/blower) so that impact wrench might be an addition. 265 nm of torque sounds good.
How does it perform in the real world on lug nuts and other bolts that have not been undone for a long time?
It's awesome... Because of its size though a lot of the times you can't use it but when you can it's grouse

lucus30
2nd July 2015, 10:53 AM
I got the Ryobi last week. Tried using it a few times and for stuff that isn't that tight its fine.
I couldn't get the really tight stuff undone with it

Winnie
2nd July 2015, 11:10 AM
I got the Ryobi last week. Tried using it a few times and for stuff that isn't that tight its fine.
I couldn't get the really tight stuff undone with it

Was your battery charged up? Obviously the power goes down as the battery runs down too, mine is great.

mudski
2nd July 2015, 11:17 AM
I'm looking to get a cordless impact wrench for my birthday (hint hint (in case she's reading))...

I'm invested into the Dewalt XR 18V LiIon series, so it will need to be one of those..

Essentially, i'm looking for thoughts, pros/cons, around these 2

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/3.jpg
DCF880N (http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCF880N/info/specifications/)
$185

Compact
203 Nm Torque

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/07/4.jpg
DCF889N (http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails/catno/DCF889N/info/specifications/)
$249

Much Bigger
418 Nm Torque

In theory the smaller one is a better "fit" for use on the 'trol (wheels only go to 118Nm), but is the (much) larger capacity of the 889 "worth" the expense of the much bigger unit? Especially considering that it will be travelling around in my drawers.

Thoughts/experiences?

Jon

If its just for wheel nuts etc, go the smaller one. The weight difference is big too. I have both but in the Milwaukee range, the larger wrench is really heavy. But great for undoing pretty much anything thats stuck. Just be careful you don't snap studs or bolt if you go the larger one.
I love my Milwaukee stuff. If gets addictive once you buy one, because I just want to add to the range to replace all my corded power tools.

TheFlyingBadger
2nd July 2015, 01:13 PM
I love my Milwaukee stuff. If gets addictive once you buy one, because I just want to add to the range to replace all my corded power tools.

I *was* going to buy Milwaukee when I had to replace my old Blue Bosch drill (it worked fine, but the charger died (about $150 for a new one!!)), but then I happened to be in the big green shed and they had a DeWalt going cheap that had come back from repair..

I've been pretty restrained so far, just got the drill and a grinder.

mudski
2nd July 2015, 01:38 PM
Nothing wrong with Dewalt mate. I had my eye on them last year but I got vouchers for a local tool shop and thye didn't have Dewalt. So I went with what they had.

lucus30
2nd July 2015, 02:02 PM
Was your battery charged up? Obviously the power goes down as the battery runs down too, mine is great.

Yeah mate fully charged up. All green bars on the battery said so any way

mullet_hunter
2nd July 2015, 09:12 PM
Ive got both.. i mainly use the smaller one.. but obvisously the bigger the better.. but the smaller one is more than capable for rattling bolts on and off the 4b... i use the bigger one for rattling dyna bolts etc...

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Drewboyaus
3rd July 2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah mate fully charged up. All green bars on the battery said so any way

I have the Ryobi and mine works a treat. It's removed some really bound up bolts
I bought a pair of larger battery packs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lucus30
3rd July 2015, 01:03 PM
What's your thoughts on using my ryobi one on stuck diff drain plugs?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Drewboyaus
3rd July 2015, 02:50 PM
What's your thoughts on using my ryobi one on stuck diff drain plugs? Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I'd give a decent sized breaker bar a go first but as long as you have the right sized socket for the diff plug then I reckon I'd give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lucus30
3rd July 2015, 08:00 PM
It's 1/2 inch any way. I've given it a crack with a breaker bar, tried the impact wrench but no go. Ended up breaker bar with about a 2 metre pole extension and jumping on it did the trick. Somebody did it too bloody tight

Now I've got to work out how to get the transfer drain out. Can't really get the pole on this one

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk