PDA

View Full Version : TD42T - cleaning water passages on engine stand

jff45
29th June 2015, 10:34 AM
As it's a conversion, I'll be buying a new radiator so I don't want to flush the engine once I get it in.
I also don't want the gunk getting into my heater.

I'm thinking I can fill the engine with some kind of product that doesn't need hot water to work and join the inlet/outlet to complete the circuit. I've removed thermostat and will leave the old water pump on to do this. I can then find a way to turn the pump to circulate it and I can also turn the engine on the stand to get the stuff into the head passages.

I've read up on CLR and many say it's too aggressive and not sure about effect on gaskets etc.
If you've done this sort of thing, what did you use?
Are the standard rad clean non acidic products sufficient for this kind of thing?

nissannewby
29th June 2015, 11:16 AM
Fleet guard do a good product. We used it on all the cummins stuff if they ever had gunk in the cooling system. A cheaper alternative is dishwashing powder does a pretty good job.

You will also need to block the bypass port in the thermostat housing when you do the flush otherwise it will only go through it and not through the head and block.

jff45
29th June 2015, 12:39 PM
Cheers Mat,
Yep, block the bypass..

I found Fleetguard Restore and Restore Plus. Apparently recommended to use both?
Do you know where I can buy them?

Oil squirter arrived this morning

nissannewby
29th June 2015, 12:43 PM
Any fleetguard distributor should have. Up your way there is maxi parts at burpengary.

jff45
29th June 2015, 12:52 PM
Yep, Maxiparts have it. Going to get it now.
Cheers!

Edit: Must be good stuff, it cost me $74 for 3.8 litres..
Only got the Restore Plus, that's the acidic one that does rust $ scale.

mudski
29th June 2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah the Restore Plus is great. I used to sell bucket loads of this stuff when I was in the transport industry.

jff45
29th June 2015, 03:58 PM
Any idea how strong I can use it?
I tried a small 5:1 mix on my welding table and it cleaned the surface rust pretty quickly..
They say 10:1

mudski
29th June 2015, 04:33 PM
I can't remember what the ratio was for this stuff sorry...

nissannewby
29th June 2015, 05:12 PM
10:1 will be fine. We use to use one bottle to a 35-40l cooling system on a cummins isx15.

jff45
29th June 2015, 05:19 PM
10:1 will be fine. We use to use one bottle to a 35-40l cooling system on a cummins isx15.

I found a Cummins doc that states it can be used safely at twice that (5:1) but limit it to 3 hours in the system.
The fact that I'm doing it with cold water gives me a little more leeway.

nissannewby
29th June 2015, 06:47 PM
I found a Cummins doc that states it can be used safely at twice that (5:1) but limit it to 3 hours in the system.
The fact that I'm doing it with cold water gives me a little more leeway.

Yeah it can be but 10:1 will usually suffice and gives you some left over of need be.

Yeah cold water may hamper it a little and running the richer ratio may help.

When we use to do it we would fill the systems then go and sit on the dyno at constant load until we saw 110 degrees in oil temp. Then dump and fill with coolant.