PDA

View Full Version : Diff Lock.

Kurt Bergmann
28th June 2015, 10:47 PM
I have a factory rear diff lock in my 2012 GU Patrol. I'm are sure that I'm not Robinson Caruso to say that these are temperamental/unreliable as I have had issues with mine since day one. I have been informed that you can't retro fit and aftermarket diff lock in a factory diff....today I mat a guy who put an ARB air locker in a diff that had a factory locker, they put a welsh plug where the actuator screws in. He has had no issues with it. I have 2 questions, question 1, has anybody done a retrofit with an E Locker as Harrop said that this can't be done. Which leads to my second question as, the reason that I prefer an E Locker (I have one in the front diff) is due to all the bad publicity in regards to reliability of the ARB air lockers. Your help & opinion in this issue would much be appreciated. Cheers Kurt

Rock Trol
29th June 2015, 01:37 AM
I am not entirely sure why you couldn't put an elocker in as I think it is a complete assembly. All the gears etc. It does not use any of the Nissan diff centre except for the diff case. That's why an ARB could fit.
Have you thought about a Pro locker from TJM? They are air activated but different system to ARB. Supposedly more reliable.

Chubba
29th June 2015, 07:31 AM
My understanding of the e-locker is that it dose use the original ring gear and pinion gear. So if the factory diff lock has different specs to the LSD, which the e-locker has been adapted for it won't fit. As there is an e-locker for the front and a different one for the rear, they don't have one for the factory diff lock which makes sence. That could be a reason for it being incompadable. As for your factory locker, when I got my patrol I found that the diff lock wouldn't work. I was given advice just to tap the diff housing with a hammer to free things up a bit. I must say I gave it a bit more than a tap but it has been working perfectly ever since and I actuate it a least once a month just to keep things freed up.

Maxhead
29th June 2015, 07:41 AM
I have a factory rear diff lock in my 2012 GU Patrol. I'm are sure that I'm not Robinson Caruso to say that these are temperamental/unreliable as I have had issues with mine since day one. I have been informed that you can't retro fit and aftermarket diff lock in a factory diff....

Hey Kurt, not sure on your question but was wondering what sort of issues you are having with the factory locker?