PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Norway - MK 260 "bastard"

GabrielMk3
28th June 2015, 09:33 PM
Dear all!

My name is Gabriel, and last Tuesday I became the owner of a very rare (rare in Norway that is) MK 260 RD28T Patrol with 7 seats, on a 1981 Datsun Patrol frame. As import taxes are extremely high in Norway, people bought 260s outside of the country, and put them on already registered, old frames - to legally cheat the system. So there is only a couple of 260 wagons in Norway now, as they were never imported. I've worked quite a lot outside Norway's borders, especially in Russia and Eastern Europe - but now I've finally settled back home, and bought a Patrol.

Anyhow, I've joined this forum because information in Norway is extremely scarce, and so is also the availability of parts.

Right now the problems are as following: rear left passenger door has jammed somehow - happened yesterday. Won't unlock at all.
The turbo is all oily. I am not an expert on the subject of automobiles, but I have worked on several cars and trucks in Russia. An oily turbo is of course nothing positive - but on the RD28T - what's best to do?
Except this, the radiator was leaky, which I've solved.
The diesel tank is missing its lid, as someone stole it while stealing diesel...

And a lot of other small issues.

I'm looking forward to work together with the members here to completely "restore" the car to a better condition.

-Gabriel

4bye4
29th June 2015, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Plenty of information here for you. Good looking truck by the way.

GabrielMk3
29th June 2015, 12:53 AM
Thanks mate! I'm looking forward to the Patrol-adventure that lies ahead of me! I'll try to get in touch with the Norwegian members here, for cooperation ;)

timbar
29th June 2015, 12:55 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

GabrielMk3
29th June 2015, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I will probably get started with the turbo and the engine. As far as I've understood, you didn't get the RD28T in Australia? That's the most common Patrol-engine in Norway, and even so, there's barely any information on it.

Again, thank you for the welcome!))

Dhuck
29th June 2015, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Dave_H
29th June 2015, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum, lots of useful information on here as well as a wealth of knowledge from it's members.

mudnut
29th June 2015, 10:33 AM
Hello and welcome to
the forum. Nice looking
Patrol.

threedogs
29th June 2015, 11:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum ,hows the oil level ZD30's overfilled will leave you with an oily turbo.
Jump in anytime and enjoy

Ratchit
29th June 2015, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum

MEGOMONSTER
29th June 2015, 09:37 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

GabrielMk3
30th June 2015, 08:50 PM
I've got an RD28T with 304 000 kilometres on it. The head is known for cracking up at 250K here in Norway, due to the constant changes of climate from warm summers to -30 Celsius winters - and of course that most of the people here abuses the underpowered engine :L
The turbo itself sounds good (coming from a turbo-noob), but I hear a strong ticking-sound following the RPM while I'm driving, but not while I'm under the hood, trying to locate it.

Bigcol
30th June 2015, 09:41 PM
welcome abourd mate
there is a heck of a lot of information, and people willing to give helpful hints

Jack989
1st July 2015, 12:18 AM
(a) Welcome to a great and informative forum

(b) I am sure you find the members very helpful and friendly horde, full of life’s experience and willing to share.

(c) I hope to see you here on regular basis.

growler2058
1st July 2015, 09:15 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard

Clunk
1st July 2015, 09:46 AM
Welcome aboard mate

Stropp
1st July 2015, 11:33 AM
hello and welcome to the forum, i dont know a lot about the rd28t but i know we do have the rd28 here in the late gq and early gu patrols, maybe some with one can jump in but you are probably better to start a seperate thread with the questions.

Jack989
2nd July 2015, 11:27 AM
(a) Welcome to a great and informative forum

(b) I am sure you find the members very helpful and friendly horde, full of life’s experience and willing to share.

(c) I hope to see you here on regular basis.

GabrielMk3
2nd July 2015, 08:58 PM
hello and welcome to the forum, i dont know a lot about the rd28t but i know we do have the rd28 here in the late gq and early gu patrols, maybe some with one can jump in but you are probably better to start a seperate thread with the questions.

I see. What I don't see is how they've made them with the RD28, non turbo-engine - they've got to be severely underpowered (?)

I think we'll make a good thread out of the RD28T design, which will probably help both me and future/current members!

FrodeS
2nd July 2015, 09:40 PM
Hello.
Is this the one advertised on finn? I had a look at it a couple of weeks ago, and had a hard time figuring it out. A 1981 260 doesn't "add up", but now I got the explanation.

Stevelb21
2nd July 2015, 10:14 PM
Nice to have you aboard, welcome to the forum, and don't forget to ask plenty of question

GabrielMk3
5th July 2015, 12:16 AM
Hello.
Is this the one advertised on finn? I had a look at it a couple of weeks ago, and had a hard time figuring it out. A 1981 260 doesn't "add up", but now I got the explanation.

Yup, that's exactly right, Frode. I barely knew the guy, but I got a very good deal. He's got nill information on it himself, but me and Bruno figured out it was probably the only 260 wagon in Norway. Too bad it's not in a better condition, and even worse that I don't really have the resources right now to fix her all up - but I'll try my best. You know how it is (?) :P

260 mounted on a Datsun MK Patrol's frame. Someone has been really dedicated, doing all the dirty work of completing that build.

-G

FrodeS
5th July 2015, 04:56 AM
I recently "found" a 90 somewhat 260 wagon close to home (Eidsvoll). It was sitting in a field, looking really sad, with the roof chopped of and the interior looking like hell (after three years with no roof). Imported from South Africa to England to Norway. Supposed to be the 4,2, but turned out, it had the 2,8. Ended up with a friend buying it for spares. He has a SWB 260. You'll find more of them in the UK. Importing a part car isn't that mouch truouble.

GabrielMk3
5th July 2015, 05:06 AM
I recently "found" a 90 somewhat 260 wagon close to home (Eidsvoll). It was sitting in a field, looking really sad, with the roof chopped of and the interior looking like hell (after three years with no roof). Imported from South Africa to England to Norway. Supposed to be the 4,2, but turned out, it had the 2,8. Ended up with a friend buying it for spares. He has a SWB 260. You'll find more of them in the UK. Importing a part car isn't that mouch truouble.

Really interesting, as all the Nissan dealers and Bruno stated that they had never seen a 260 "bastard" rebuilt MK/MQ in Norway - but that was a high-roof one? A bloody shame that it wasn't a TD42 though!
No, just importing a car is not so much trouble if you do it through proper Tollvesen-offices. I worked with vehicle import in Kirkenes/Murmansk, and the Toll there was more or less useless. They didn't know anything about their work at all - ridiculous! Importing a car is fair and square - registering it and making it street-legal is most of the time a major pain.