PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper

daz172
28th June 2015, 10:02 AM
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask my rear wiper doesn't work, hasn't since iv owned it which has only been a few weeks now, I've run a few checks checking for power and there is power going to 1 wire at the motor, but it won't move, I have another motor which I've plugged in and won't work either. But also the relay, clicks when I switch it on. Do u think It could just be a faulty relay??

Bigcol
28th June 2015, 11:07 AM
sounds strange, but
check the pump for the fluid for the rear

sometimes when the pump is shagged, it will either -
wipers keep going
wipers will not work at all

daz172
28th June 2015, 11:29 AM
Well the washers at the back still work fine... Just the wiper won't move. Wen I check the power at the back there is no difference to if I have the wiper switched on or off there's just a constant power running thro 1 wire only way u change is to pull fuse out from the front

threedogs
28th June 2015, 02:45 PM
make sure you have a good earth,
even if you need to run a temporary one to test
give the relay a quick squirt as well

Yendor
28th June 2015, 05:00 PM
The wiper motors switch earth so you will have constant power (ignition fed) to the wiper motor.

It could be a problem with the wiper switch or relay. The relay that's clicking, where is that mounted?.

daz172
28th June 2015, 05:12 PM
Ah ok that explains the constant power, the relay is mounted under the bonnet next to all the other relays eg. Horn, lights etc

daz172
28th June 2015, 05:15 PM
I have a spare wiper switch here, it's a 2.8 td so the wiper switch is on the left side column shift lever and I have a spare 1 of those Aswell.

Yendor
28th June 2015, 05:48 PM
From what you have posted it still sounds like a wiper motor fault. Do you know for sure if the other wiper motor works?

There should be a Light Green coloured wire a Red trace at the connector at the rear wiper motor (the plain Light Green wire should be the one with the constant power).

With some scrap wire connect the Light Green coloured wire a Red trace to earth. The wiper motor should start moving.

daz172
28th June 2015, 07:26 PM
Yeh the light green wire is the 1 with constant power, on the other motor I have I'm not 100% sure if it works, I do have a vague memory of checking it worked some time ago but can't really remember. How do I check to see if it works , I'd have to earth it to vehicle and have a power wire to somewhere won't i??

Yendor
28th June 2015, 07:44 PM
Yeh the light green wire is the 1 with constant power, on the other motor I have I'm not 100% sure if it works, I do have a vague memory of checking it worked some time ago but can't really remember. How do I check to see if it works , I'd have to earth it to vehicle and have a power wire to somewhere won't i??

Just try this.

With some scrap wire connect the Light Green coloured wire a Red trace to earth. The wiper motor should start moving.

daz172
28th June 2015, 08:00 PM
Ok I'll give that go tomorrow, so I'll plug the other motor I got in then get a bit of scrap wire and connect that to light green wire and to earth?

Yendor
28th June 2015, 08:09 PM
Just leave the original wiper motor plugged in and push the scrap wire into the back of the connector.

daz172
28th June 2015, 11:02 PM
Ok great thankyou

daz172
30th June 2015, 01:13 PM
Just leave the original wiper motor plugged in and push the scrap wire into the back of the connector.

So I did what u said and yes it started to move.... So does this mean it's most likely a relay problem??, I can get my hands on another relay pretty easy

Yendor
30th June 2015, 04:43 PM
I think it's more likely to be a problem with the switch or possible a break in that Light Green wire with a red trace somewhere between the switch and the rear wiper motor then a problem with the relay.

At the wiper switch you will find the other end of the Light Green wire with a red trace, perform the same test with the scrap wire and see if the wiper motor moves. If it does. Try your other switch.

daz172
30th June 2015, 05:37 PM
Ok no worries I will do that, cheers, I'll let u know how I go

daz172
2nd July 2015, 11:12 AM
I think it's more likely to be a problem with the switch or possible a break in that Light Green wire with a red trace somewhere between the switch and the rear wiper motor then a problem with the relay.

At the wiper switch you will find the other end of the Light Green wire with a red trace, perform the same test with the scrap wire and see if the wiper motor moves. If it does. Try your other switch.

Ok, so I've tried a number of things, I've found the other end of green wire with red trace but every time I earth it out it just blows the fuse in driver side kick board, I've tried a diff switch but that didn't work either I have even tried putting in another relay and still nothing, wat does that sound like to you

daz172
2nd July 2015, 12:22 PM
The green wire with red trace at switch end, wen I earth that out the front wipers move. Here is a pic of wires at rear wiper motor end 59330
And here is a pic of the wiper switch end
On the 2.8 td the front wiper switch and the rear wiper swift is on the left hand side column shift lever bit

Yendor
2nd July 2015, 05:54 PM
It would be the wrong green wire with a red trace in the kick panel. There is also another green wire with a red trace for the front wipers so that's fine.

Is there a green wire with a red trace at the relay? If so remove the relay and try shorting that wire to earth. The ignition needs to be on. Does the rear wiper move?

Is that relay 4 or 5 pins?

daz172
2nd July 2015, 09:11 PM
Yeh I discovered at the switch ,this pic, 59343 there r 2 plugs going into switch, the blue plug is the front wipers, there is a green wire with red trace there, and the brown plug is rear but there is no green wire with red trace , there is no green wire at all, just pink, orange, brown/white and a black wire which I'm assuming is an earth, I would of thought a green would b there.. I will try tomorrow wat u have said, but I think I did try that originally and it blew the fuse, I will try again tomorrow just to b sure tho. I just find it really odd there is no green wire at the switch , but no wires missing just not right colour. There is a junction of wires under the front passenger seat, I've tried earthing it out there but only blew fuses Aswell

daz172
3rd July 2015, 10:32 AM
So I checked this morn and the relay is a 5 pin relay , I switched ignition on and did wat u said, I pulled out relay and shorted out where green wire with red trace goes but nothing, there was no power to that wire , only power on the green wire and orange wire 59348.
Down the other end near wiper motor at the plug b4 goin into motor end there would only b power to the green wire but once going thro that plug, at other end of plug (wiper motor side) there would b power on ,orange, blue and green with red trace. But not power to green with red trace before the plug shown here 59350

Yendor
3rd July 2015, 10:58 AM
The green wire with a red trace is actually the wiper motor looking for an earth. Think of it like it's power coming from the wiper motor not going to the wiper motor.

If there is power in the green wire with a red trace going into the plug but not coming out the other side of the plug that's where you problem is.

daz172
3rd July 2015, 03:45 PM
Ah ok , so maybe a fault in the plug itself?? Maybe the wire not crimped into properly or something?? What do u suggest my next course of action ??

Yendor
3rd July 2015, 04:03 PM
Check the plug, confirm that's where the problem is.

If need be you can cut the plug out and just solder the wires together.

daz172
3rd July 2015, 04:18 PM
Ok so I've checked and I do got power coming out of other end of plug with green wire with red trace so there's gotta b a break in that wire somwhere further up the loom, so I guess that's the nxt step, I'll follow the loom n see if I can find what's cuz ing the problem

Yendor
3rd July 2015, 04:50 PM
Yes keep following the loom towards the front of the vehicle.

There will be another plug in the right hand rear quarter guard. This is the one that you would disconnect if you wanted to remove the barn door.

Have a good look at the harness where it runs between the barn door and body. The wire may have broken where it pivots as you open and close the barn door.

daz172
3rd July 2015, 06:00 PM
Thanx I'll need it. Yeh I think I have narrowed it down to actually that plug in the quarter panel cuz I'm getting power all the way to that plug and further on in harness I checked up there and not getting any power , so tomorrow I'll check power a few other spots and have a good look at the plug.

daz172
4th July 2015, 04:07 PM
Ok found the problem

daz172
4th July 2015, 11:34 PM
So I've found the prob, it is that plug in the rear quarter panel , I got it out and unplugged it and all the prongs in the plug came with it so I'll just get some new plugs and solder it back on and we should be good. Thankyou yendor for ur help

mudnut
4th July 2015, 11:52 PM
Feedback is good. Good on ya too Yendor.

Yendor
5th July 2015, 07:09 PM
Great to hear you got it sorted mate.