PDA

View Full Version : Where does this wire go

Throbbinhood
21st June 2015, 07:52 PM
Hey guys, gq rb30

Changed alternator today to an ef falcon one. Accidentally hooked up what I assume was a ground wire to the positive and she started smoking up. Hooked it back up to ground and everything works ok.

Any idea what this wire was? I've grounded it to chassis for the moment but want to make sure that it's ok, and will probably replace the wire just in case, but I have no idea where it goes?!

Help please :)

Throbbinhood
21st June 2015, 11:18 PM
Also, when I smoked it up, some of the end was a little fried. Not completely stuff, although I didn't pull off the flexi tube stuff that covers the loom to have a closer look. Everything still works. It only smoked for a second, any chance it would have damaged other wires? And will replacing it mean a whole wiring loom job? Assuming this wire is ground, that's why no fuse went. Other wires near it, safe to assume they'd be fused? Would really rather not have to completely pull the cars wiring apart for this :/ Really hoping this small blunder doesn't end up costing big.

Throbbinhood
22nd June 2015, 12:01 PM
bumpity bump :/

threedogs
22nd June 2015, 12:22 PM
got a picture , might help

Throbbinhood
22nd June 2015, 12:40 PM
Grabbed this from another thread, mine is the same. The wire with the ring terminal on the right (one without the rubber cover bit) is the one that I stuffed. Accidentally plugged this onto the charge wire of the alt, so when i reconnected the battery, she smoked up. Put it to ground and everything seems to work ok - assuming being a ground it's not fused. Just wondering where the other end of this goes, and hoping it's not far so I can just replace that wire without pulling the whole loom apart.

Throbbinhood
22nd June 2015, 01:10 PM
Put it to ground and everything seems to work ok - assuming being a ground it's not fused. Just wondering where the other end of this goes, and hoping it's not far so I can just replace that wire without pulling the whole loom apart.

Also, considering it all seems to work ok - I'd assume all the positive wires that share the loom with this wire would be fused, so even if it did short with something, the fuse on the pos would blow averting any more damage. Would it be worth putting a small fuse on this earth, in case one of the pos wires isn't fused, and something happens, the fuse will blow and it'll be ok? And if this seems like a reasonable idea, what size fuse would be suitable for it?

Throbbinhood
22nd June 2015, 09:29 PM
Also, charging voltages - all cold engine/alt
14.3v at idle, no load
14.0v headlights only
13.1v high beams, 2 light bars

These are all at idle. Do these sound ok? I didn't think to put the heater on, it's the only other thing that will suck juice.

It's an ef falcon alternator put into an rb30.