PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 tinking noise

Lexx
20th June 2015, 12:47 PM
Hey all,

I have a metallic 'tinking' noise coming from the engine, it's also evident at the rear from (through) the exhaust?

I got a stethoscope onto it and seem to have pin pointed the location, it's at the engine near the turbo inlet (from the exhaust manifold).

Some searching round the site suggests a possible loose exhaust manifold gasket, but I'm not sure if that would be the case? Just got my turbo rebuilt and it's refitted fine, the noise was evident before the turbo was rebuilt. The noise also seems worse under acceleration and when cold?

Any suggestions welcome!

threedogs
20th June 2015, 02:01 PM
Could be a warped exhaust manifold, common problem.
Have a search see what you come up with

robewott
21st June 2015, 06:21 PM
I've got a high pitched squeal in mine somewhere around the turbo/manifold.

jono6974
21st June 2015, 07:13 PM
Possibly a damaged valve seat?
Nothing been dropped into the inlet manifold?

BillsGU
22nd June 2015, 10:20 PM
Check the security of the heat shield attached to the turbo.

Lexx
23rd June 2015, 09:01 PM
Hey all, so I have had the turbo rebuilt and I reinstalled same with all new gaskets and nuts, torqued to spec as per manual supplied by this magnificent site! (thanks!) Nothing was dropped in jono 6974, i made sure to be careful on the install. Bills gu, i have checked the shield and customised same for my temperature probe, so all seems ok.

robewott - perhaps its a polished bearing in the turbo, or pitted bearing, get a stethoscope and see exactly where it is coming from, use a hose with a barb end (from bunnings irrigation section, use a barb end with any kind of hose the fits) and see where exactly where the noise eminates from.

Hodge
23rd June 2015, 09:15 PM
Is this tinking or ticking noise in sync with the engine revs or with the turbo spooling up ??? This will give away whether it's the turbo or something on / in the block itself.

threedogs
24th June 2015, 05:49 PM
any luck with this yet ??

Lexx
24th June 2015, 07:17 PM
Hey all, the tinking is in time with the engine revving up, but doesn't seem to be as fast as the revs, if that makes sense? Turbo is fine by the sound and look of it. Haven't had the time to pull it all down again to check the gasket on the exhaust manifold, quite frankly its been off the rd for 3 weeks with the turbo out, I put it back together and don' like the idea of having to pull it down again! Especially that dang heat shield!

The noise disappears when the engine is warm, so I'm def thinking the gasket...

Softy
24th June 2015, 07:41 PM
Grab a bit of garden hose, when the car is cold and making the noise put one end to your ear and run the other end around the gasket areas you will clearly hear where it is leaking.

We had an exhaust shop in the family for 20years and that was how we used to pin point leaks.

robewott
29th June 2015, 08:15 PM
Hey all, so I have had the turbo rebuilt and I reinstalled same with all new gaskets and nuts, torqued to spec as per manual supplied by this magnificent site! (thanks!) Nothing was dropped in jono 6974, i made sure to be careful on the install. Bills gu, i have checked the shield and customised same for my temperature probe, so all seems ok.

robewott - perhaps its a polished bearing in the turbo, or pitted bearing, get a stethoscope and see exactly where it is coming from, use a hose with a barb end (from bunnings irrigation section, use a barb end with any kind of hose the fits) and see where exactly where the noise eminates from.

It's only there when the engine is cold. It sounds like the exhaust manifold.

jono6974
29th June 2015, 10:27 PM
Could be a slight blow from an exhaust gasket that seals when engine warms up.

robewott
6th July 2015, 10:39 PM
apart from the the head gasket on the exhaust side, what other gaskets will i need after pulling off the manifold? Can the turbo unit be pulled to one side while the ex gasket is replaced?

Lexx
31st May 2016, 08:28 PM
Hi guys, unfortunately I have been unable to reply for some time. I have sorted this issue out, it was the exhaust manifold gasket. It was THE ONLY one I didn't do when I rebuilt the turbo.... pulling it all down again and paying for new gaskets... slightly annoying.... cutting hands on heat shield... again... totally enfuriating!

Cheers all to the good advice :)

LostBenji
1st June 2016, 07:49 AM
Was looking at the Necro thread digging. Nearly a year... LOL

At least you sorted it.

BigRAWesty
1st June 2016, 08:01 AM
Hi guys, unfortunately I have been unable to reply for some time. I have sorted this issue out, it was the exhaust manifold gasket. It was THE ONLY one I didn't do when I rebuilt the turbo.... pulling it all down again and paying for new gaskets... slightly annoying.... cutting hands on heat shield... again... totally enfuriating!

Hopefully you modified the heat shield for future removal etc..
I found mine comes off much easier with actuator taken off..

But issue found. Nice one.

Lexx
1st June 2016, 11:02 AM
BIGGUWESTY - Stop reminding me of things AFTER I have done them! Although, I found I can get the shield on if I am patient and gentle, which isn't often lol.

LOSTBENJI - I'm like a good woman, never forget and pounce years after the fact!

threedogs
1st June 2016, 01:49 PM

and what have we learnt here, I left the heat shield off the turbo, well somebody did.
Made it easier to fit the beanie anywaylol, Good to hear its sorted

LostBenji
1st June 2016, 09:48 PM
Hopefully you modified the heat shield for future removal etc..
I found mine comes off much easier with actuator taken off..
Even easier when in the scrap pile.

LOSTBENJI - I'm like a good woman, never forget and pounce years after the fact!
ROFLMAO @ the FACT

and what have we learnt here, I left the heat shield off the turbo, well somebody did.
Made it easier to fit the beanie anywaylol, Good to hear its sorted

Yerp, beanie wins hands down.

BigRAWesty
1st June 2016, 09:50 PM
Even easier when in the scrap pile.

ROFLMAO @ the FACT

Yerp, beanie wins hands down.
Yea Bennie will be on soon.. just funds only allow a fee things at a time..

LostBenji
1st June 2016, 09:54 PM
LOL, you're just pissy that I beat you to it. Under 100 bucks for beanie and wrap, not too costly.