PDA

View Full Version : patrol tb45 engine rebuild

benledbury101
19th June 2015, 09:23 PM
Gday everyone,

id just thought id get some opinions here as im gonna rebuild my patrol in the coming weeks .
its a tb45 and im looking for better fuel economy and more power , is there any mods you can suggest whilst im rebuilding it.
cheers

jff45
19th June 2015, 09:54 PM
You won't get better economy AND more power from a TB45E. You can certainly get more power (have a look at my TB45E turbo install thread in the DIY section) but more power needs more fuel.
The average consumption for a TB45E will always be 20 litres. Sometimes you can get a little better, sometimes worse. 20 is the average over time.

Gertie
26th June 2015, 12:02 AM
Gday everyone,

id just thought id get some opinions here as im gonna rebuild my patrol in the coming weeks .
its a tb45 and im looking for better fuel economy and more power , is there any mods you can suggest whilst im rebuilding it.
cheers

G'day benledbury,
My 4.5 was pretty thirsty.
I fitted a snorkel, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" exhaust, and found it was louder but still crappy economy and sluggish especially towing.
I pulled the distributed off and found the rotor button was really worn down.
I've since fitted a new dizzy cap, new rotor button, new plugs and leads, and cleaned the maf sensor and inlet, she's purring like a kitten now, just want to clean the injectors next but will need a hand with that.
I would recommend the changes I've made, it will always be a bit thirsty, but they're a great motor.
I toyed with a LS replacement but I can buy a lot of fuel for the difference!

ed12371
22nd August 2015, 03:41 AM
I suppose the first question is : how much do you want to spend?

The quote I got for recoing my tb45e was $5000 or $5500 for performance parts.

New K&N air filter around $185, extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust around $1400.00. Although if you are going a turbo or super charger probably a 3inch?

Turbo Charger $5500 to $10k but I have heard a super charger is better with this motor around $7k.