PDA

View Full Version : Waltzing Matilda fire in Winton

threedogs
18th June 2015, 07:37 AM
Seems over night the Waltzing Matilda exhibit in Winton has burnt down.
There will be a lot of history lost which is sad. I think this is the major attraction
in Winton so if your up that way stop in Im sure they would love to see you.
This facility was built in 1988 for the bi-centenary. Hate seeing our history lost.
In true Queenslander fashion I'm sure they will bounce back bigger and better.
They still have their dinosaur exhibits.
also all of the early Q.A.N.T.A.S memorabilia is lost,
they think it was arson at this stage

Cuppa
18th June 2015, 10:09 AM
What a disaster! This will have a huge impact on Winton, it was a great museum, & it sounds like much unique stuff has been lost. I recall the first time I visited & being blown away that a small outback town like Winton had a moving holographic display, the first I’d ever seen. I hope that the full range of Waltzing Matilda versions are saved somewhere as a whole, & not completely lost. My best wishes to the people of Winton, folk who during both of my visits there have struck me as particularly gregarious & welcoming. They are tough out that way so I’m sure you are right that they’ll bounce back TD.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-18/fire-rips-through-waltzing-matilda-centre-at-winton/6554830

Bloodyaussie
18th June 2015, 02:22 PM
A shame with all the racing I did up there I never managed to visit the place... bugger.

rusty_nail
18th June 2015, 02:33 PM
stuff like this makes me so angry!!! dont the people who do stuff like this(assuming its arson) know that they are only hurting their own culture and their kids and future generations about something that is so iconicly australian... and now its gone because of some d**@#&*@

Maxhead
18th June 2015, 03:45 PM
SPEWING!!! My family tried to get there a couple of times previously and failed. We were only just talking about it last week, and now it's gone:(
Devastating for us but a lot more devastating for people of Winton.

threedogs
18th June 2015, 05:54 PM
Will be interesting to see what the fireies come up with , really makes me mad especially
if it was deliberate, I was only just googling the billabong from Waltzing matilda last week.
We as Australians dont cherish our history like the Americans,
When the history is gone what have we got, probably why I like my antique/early australian items I have
If it was deliberate I hope they catch him and tan his hide when he's dead Fred and leave it hanging on the shed
All together now, Tie.............

Cuppa
18th June 2015, 11:12 PM
A shame with all the racing I did up there I never managed to visit the place... bugger.

Different Winton I think :) This is Winton in outback Queensland, not Winton Vic, where the bike track is.