PDA

View Full Version : For those that add 2-stroke oil..

Bloodyaussie
18th June 2015, 07:35 AM
Bit of a long read..... drugs are bad ok !!!!

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

kevin07
18th June 2015, 08:01 AM
after reading the abstract it clearly says don't use it on crd engines. but I read here the majority of people using it here are 4.2 which really were not built for this new diesel so probably good to use.

Rocket55
18th June 2015, 09:34 AM
It talks about injector fouling due to the trace metals in the 2 stroke oil being a potential issue on CRD motors then goes on to say that this fouling could be worse on older type engines. They essentially poo poo the idea of 2 stroke oil in diesel.

I guess you also need to consider that this report is from a fuel producing company reporting on their own fuel if I understand it correctly. So it's unlikely they'll admit their fuel can be improved upon by a simple additive. Equally I guess it would be disappointing with the millions they spend on R&D on fuel formulas they we the "uneducated" general public can improve it for $20.

Real word experiences show it make your engine quieter, but at what internal cost if any is the million dollar question I guess.

Winnie
18th June 2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah interesting read...

CONCLUSIONS
Based on the results of this study, the following conclusions are drawn:

At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel lubricity.
All diesel fuel sold in South Africa has to meet the SANS 342:2014 lubricity specification to ensure the proper protection of diesel fuel pumps and injector systems.
The low sulphur diesel products sold by Sasol contain lubricity improver additives which are far more effective than 2-stroke oil.
At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel cetane number.
No measurable effect on all other regulated diesel properties was measured at a 200:1 dose of 2-stroke oil in diesel.
2-stroke oil can contain around 16ppm zinc, or higher depending on the formulation and batch.
Trace amounts of zinc in diesel are known to rapidly accelerate injector nozzle deposits.
Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.
Vehicles fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system could experience reduced DPF life due to the collection of ash and metal based contaminants in the filter over time with the continued use of 2-stroke oil.
The abovementioned results should hopefully clear up many of the public misconceptions around the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel and highlight why both oil companies & engine manufacturers do not recommend the addition of any after-market additives, ie. 2-stroke oil, to the fuel tank. It is also good advice to use fuels from reputable outlets backed up by the technical support of a competent fuel company to enable the best engine performance and durability.

mudski
18th June 2015, 10:06 AM
I did use it in my Di. The motor was quieter, thats for sure, extra power? Well, not sure but I know that my fuel consumption was slightly better. As we did a trip to Merimbula last Jan, car fully loaded and towing the camper at around 1.5T. I made it to Eden on 75L, which is around 570K's. The year before doing the same trip I had to fill up in Cann River 460k's. I still had a little in the tank but would not have made it to Eden. Other factors could have contributed to this, I don't know, I haven't bothered to use it since. Pure lazyness moreso...
Yeah but for the CRD motors, I wouldn't be using this.

threedogs
18th June 2015, 10:57 AM
I only use it if Im emptying the tank in one go
ie up the Murray and back,
Quieter yes smoother yes better fuel nah I dont think so
maybe a placebo effect

Rock Trol
18th June 2015, 11:57 AM
I added Flashlube Diesel Conditioner (mainly oil) and 2-stroke (not at same time) to my old Pajero 2.8 diesel and it made a big improvement. A lot quieter and smoother. When I tried it on the CRD I could not notice a difference.
I still use the Flashlube occasionally at 1000:1 (1ml/1litre) as it also has an injector cleaner component but I might do it less often in the future as I think most of it is oil (2-stroke) with a small amount of shellite according to the Materials Data Sheet I found on the net a couple of years ago.
I think if you have a CRD don't use it as you are just burning money for nothing.

nissannewby
18th June 2015, 01:59 PM
2 stroke is good. There is even an injector company who has done testing with injectors. Even showing the results to denso showing the effect.

Nothing wrong with it at 200:1.

Guess you shouldnt run engine oil either due to trace metals in it that might clog up your engine galleries.....

gaddy
18th June 2015, 02:36 PM
Just makes me think of the 2 stroke suzies the only 4b that sounded like a bike ! Ning ning ning ning to 4th gear and flat out at 70k

Winnie
18th June 2015, 02:48 PM
Just makes me think of the 2 stroke suzies the only 4b that sounded like a bike ! Ning ning ning ning to 4th gear and flat out at 70k

Those things sound wicked!

Rock Trol
18th June 2015, 03:37 PM
2 stroke is good. There is even an injector company who has done testing with injectors. Even showing the results to denso showing the effect.

Nothing wrong with it at 200:1.

Guess you shouldnt run engine oil either due to trace metals in it that might clog up your engine galleries.....

Do you know if they where Di or CR injectors tested by the injector company? Sasol's article is specifically about CR injectors and pumps. They may have extrapolated results to the non CR injectors but that does not mean that it is harmful in their case.

nissannewby
18th June 2015, 05:30 PM
Do you know if they where Di or CR injectors tested by the injector company? Sasol's article is specifically about CR injectors and pumps. They may have extrapolated results to the non CR injectors but that does not mean that it is harmful in their case.

Common rail. The injector used was one from a d4d hilux. 3 tests were done. 1 with nothing, 1 with 2 stroke, and one with a low friction hardened coating.

megatexture
18th June 2015, 07:54 PM
I've been using it for a while in my crd I don't see any fuel improvement but it runs quieter and smoother and IMO can be felt while accelerating, I'll keep using it

Rock Trol
18th June 2015, 08:14 PM
So at least it's not harmful to use which is the important thing.

Dave_H
19th June 2015, 07:35 AM
Interesting. I use it on long trips and i find it quitens the motor straight away, it's a little more responsive and on the highway i can save as much as 1ltr per 100km and this is proven over many a times. I disagree that it doesn't help lubricity.
As mentioned this is test has been conducted by a fuel company which lets face it they're not going to tell you to keep adding it if it's taking money out of their pockets. Hopefully as time goes by there will be some more tests conducted.

Cheers for the share

Wizard52
19th June 2015, 04:42 PM
Rather interesting. I tried the 2 stroke in my 4.2TDi and found no difference in performance, economy or noise so have about 7 litres of oil for my wiper snippers.
I used Chemtech additive on last fill and performance has improved but that might also be a result of a good hard run over on Fraser's loose sand for long weekend which has cleaned out a bit of crap built up over recent months of short trips.
Don't think any of these products are VALUE for money if you have good diesel to start with and good filters.

Makka
1st July 2015, 09:03 PM
would you run 2 stroke in a 8V92TTOB

Cuppa
1st July 2015, 09:13 PM
Rather interesting. I tried the 2 stroke in my 4.2TDi and found no difference in performance, economy or noise so have about 7 litres of oil for my wiper snippers.

It is indeed interesting. With my identical motor I noticed the difference (quieter & smoother) within the first kilometre or two after putting it in. Motor was stock & had around 160,000 on it then. Since then the exhaust, dyno & EGT has smoothed things a little more. I wonder if I would have noticed as much difference if I had tried the the 2t for the first time after the exhaust & tune?

Stropp
1st July 2015, 10:48 PM
Yep me too cuppa, I noticed it was quieter almost immediately too but no improvement in fuel economy like a lot report. I think us with the 4.2 with mechanical fuel pumps will notice the noise reduction but not the later ones.

Robo
2nd July 2015, 02:23 AM
Humm, think me have a go at this and see what diff it makes.
I was thinking injectors were starting to get a little suss, report back soon.

Beni C
2nd July 2015, 09:45 AM
No way your gona have me chucking lawnmower oil in my CRD! There are so many quality fuel additives on the market from the likes of Cost Effective Maintenance and Responsive Engineering that deal with the low sulfur diesel and fuel lubricity issues we have in this country. I use a CRD fuel enhancer and FTC decarbonizer both from Cost Effective Maintenance and my bus runs a treat!

Robo
2nd July 2015, 01:47 PM
No way your gona have me chucking lawnmower oil in my CRD! There are so many quality fuel additives on the market from the likes of Cost Effective Maintenance and Responsive Engineering that deal with the low sulfur diesel and fuel lubricity issues we have in this country. I use a CRD fuel enhancer and FTC decarbonizer both from Cost Effective Maintenance and my bus runs a treat!

Not all 2- oils are the same.
oils aint oils!!
No way will I put some supa crap auto product in my car either,

but a quality oil that's another story.
marine grade 2-oil for instance is far superior than lawn mower stuff.
and from memory usually low ash, which is a down fall of the study wasn't it.

Cuppa
2nd July 2015, 03:19 PM
Not all 2- oils are the same.
oils aint oils!!
No way will I put some supa crap auto product in my car either,

but a quality oil that's another story.
marine grade 2-oil for instance is far superior than lawn mower stuff.
and from memory usually low ash, which is a down fall of the study wasn't it.

I believe putting in marine grade or synthetic 2T oils would be a mistake. Apparently it doesn’t mix so well in diesel, unlike the cheaper mineral based stuff. I use Castrol Activ 2T.

Robo
3rd July 2015, 02:18 AM
Problems solved.
MOREYS DIESEL SMOKE KILLER.
Quotes from bottle.
SOLVES LUBRICITY PROBLEMS RELATED TO LOW SULPHUR DIESEL
Is a premium diesel fuel conditioner.
Formulated to improve lubricity,injector cleanliness,power,fuel economy reduce emissions and smoke.
Doesn't raise sulphur levels.
SAFE FOR ALL DIESEL ENGINES.
including common rail engines and/or particulate filters.
Reduce smoke, adds power, increases engine life cetane improver up to 5 points.
Fights the diesel bug
recommended rate mixture 650 to 1.

Been using moreys upper cyl lube for years and swear by that, so I'll give that a go and see.
Going by the colour its similar to cemtec diesel conditioner,
only thicker like its oil based, like moreys UCL.
oh cemtec usually about $33 and moreys $24, with same mix ratio/
But moreys claim does alot more.
hear goes, glug glug down Pat.

Rock Trol
3rd July 2015, 06:11 PM
How much is the MOREYS DIESEL SMOKE KILLER Robo?
I just bought 1 litre of Flash Lube Diesel Conditioner for $22 from Don Kyatt's. That is used at 1000:1 ratio (1ml Flash Lube to 1 litre diesel).

Wizard52
3rd July 2015, 06:14 PM
It is indeed interesting. With my identical motor I noticed the difference (quieter & smoother) within the first kilometre or two after putting it in. Motor was stock & had around 160,000 on it then. Since then the exhaust, dyno & EGT has smoothed things a little more. I wonder if I would have noticed as much difference if I had tried the the 2t for the first time after the exhaust & tune?

Hi Cuppa

Mine had been Dyno tuned some time ago with 3" exhaust so perhaps not as noticeable.
Doing a fuel consumption test at the moment so will try 2 stroke on next fill and compare results.
In a separate post I said since I stopped using 2 stroke I have noticed a splatter of carbon or diesel on concrete floor on cold start ups. Also was blowing a bit more smoke than usual on the long climb on River Heads Rd where I test it. Perhaps it needs a long hard run
Ute clocked up 200,000 in same week in June as I bought it but 9 yrs later.

Robo
13th July 2015, 10:12 AM
How much is the MOREYS DIESEL SMOKE KILLER Robo?
I just bought 1 litre of Flash Lube Diesel Conditioner for $22 from Don Kyatt's. That is used at 1000:1 ratio (1ml Flash Lube to 1 litre diesel).

Delay,Been on holidays, no tv or computer just the outdoors, bloody brilliant
Moreys $24 per ltr.
at 650:1.
feed back,
slight increase in rev at idle so centane increase probable or lube factor and or both.
and 14.5lt down from 16 per hundread towing near 3 tonne caravan that has blunt nose.
impressed so far.
reduced noise, I need a new fan belt Its a bit noisy so can't comment on being quieter.
Remember thinking while I was driving it seemed to hold speed better,
compared to same Rd and load factors as previously driven without Moreys.

yrs ago,
I used petrol based flash lube ucl, all it did was make the old nissan pulsar ping.
oh and fuel doctor increased fuel consumption in a lancer by a couple of ltrs per hundred k.
Been using moreys to no ill effect, so plan keeping it that way.

Robo
13th July 2015, 10:34 AM
I believe putting in marine grade or synthetic 2T oils would be a mistake. Apparently it doesn’t mix so well in diesel, unlike the cheaper mineral based stuff. I use Castrol Activ 2T.

Thanks for that info,
gave moreys diesel smoke killer a go but only towing sofar, refer other post

Rock Trol
13th July 2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks Robbo.