PDA

View Full Version : BOLT RETIGHTENING - Info anyone?

jd1566
18th June 2015, 01:38 AM
Hi there,
I live in Mozambique and there are very few Patrols about, mostly Landcruisers, Disco's and the like. I'm about to get mine, a 2008 3 lt diesel with 100k on the clock. 100k doesn't sound much but as they've ALL been done on African roads, it's quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone regularly checks the bolts on the inderside of their Patrol after a bout of heavy 4x4ing.. and if they have a list of bolts to check, or a diagram. Most vehicles here in Mozambique get this treatment by the "bush" mecchanics, especially when driving on heavily rutted country roads. The agents have no clue, and are even more clueless in next door neighbour South Africa.. I've had it done on my Isuzu pickup, another very popular car out here and it makes a world of difference after the tightening.

As I'll be doing this myself, tips and tricks would be highly appreciated. And yes, before you ask.. I did a search and managed to turn up ONE post about tightening steering bolts.

Thanks!

threedogs
18th June 2015, 08:31 AM
I think here we just go over everything, when its on a hoist or getting a service,
but interested in what you find comes loose, 500k here would be 2000k there I
would think.

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2015, 08:48 AM
Your much more likely to find a list of bushes that need replacing rather than loose bolts but keen to see some pics and your findings when you get it. Good luck with your buy.

mudnut
18th June 2015, 09:20 AM
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
The first things I check are:
Panhard bar bushes, upper bolts and
axle mount nuts.
Some mechanics use a punch on
the very end of the nut, to crimp
it to the thread. (Be very careful
not to damage the thread)
Shocker mounts bushes and nuts.
Wheel nuts. All front and rear radius
arm bushes and fasteners.
All of the steering gear,
swivel hubs and brakes. Then I
check any other chassis bolts.

I have had a front panhard bar
axle mount nut drop off while
we were in the middle of nowhere.

I was able
to take the nut off the top bolt
then wire and tape the bolt
secure enough to get me home.
(In hind-sight I should have used
the rear top nut to be safer.)

Since then, a nut grabbed and
stripped the last few turns of
thread on the axle mount stud
when I undid it.
I have drilled a hole through
the stripped section of the
stud, cut a slot in the nut
and have fitted a cotter pin.
I am not recommending anyone
do this, but it has worked for
me.

jd1566
21st June 2015, 07:11 AM
THANKS for input on nuts.. and picture will be coming soon of the beast.. I can't wait.. a month and 10 days to go before I get her!!!