PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel filter - help :(

Hoochthepooch
16th June 2015, 05:00 PM
I recently had the warning light pop up on th dash saying i had water in my fuel so i replaced the filter and cleaned the water trap and got her started again after pushing a fair bit of air through the lines (my idiotic fault) but when it started it again the light stayed on so i thought i would unplug it and start it up again to see if the light disappeared but it stayed. I am wondering what the issue could be i will open the bottom tap on the water trap again and see if any water comes out but the light shoild have gone out with the sensor unplugged yes or no? Really want my pooch going again :(

Rock Trol
16th June 2015, 06:25 PM
Is there a possibility that you picked up contaminated fuel and the filter has sucked more water in?
Or do you need to clear the error code to get the light to switch off?

Hodge
16th June 2015, 07:06 PM
Someone correct me here but I thought you had to reset the code somehow?

Hoochthepooch
16th June 2015, 07:57 PM
I wasnt aware you had to clear the light D: barely do any home mechanics haha how do you clear it?
there is a chance the fuel was contaminated but i wanted to check with others before i take my car to the mechanics to get the fuel drained. I might take the fuel filter off tomorrow and have a look at the water trap again see if theres any more water collected up.

4bye4
16th June 2015, 09:13 PM
I wasnt aware you had to clear the light D: barely do any home mechanics haha how do you clear it?
there is a chance the fuel was contaminated but i wanted to check with others before i take my car to the mechanics to get the fuel drained. I might take the fuel filter off tomorrow and have a look at the water trap again see if theres any more water collected up.

Disconnect the battery for an hour or so?? Would that work?

Avo
16th June 2015, 09:24 PM
Disconnect the battery for an hour or so?? Would that work?

I'd try that...reckon it's a cheap option

Rock Trol
16th June 2015, 11:33 PM
Is it a Di or a CRD?
If its a CRD get a Scangauge for around $200. It can read and clear codes as well as give you readouts like boost, water temp, alternator output etc. On of the most useful tools I have come across. Unfortunately only works with the CRD. In the meantime try disconnecting the battery as 4bye4 has suggested.