PDA

View Full Version : Testing shock absorbers

oddkid82
15th June 2015, 09:33 PM
Hey Guys,
Just a quick one. need to pick your brains. I have noticed that the front end of the car seems to bounce a bit more than it use too.
So I disconnected the front shocks from the bottom shock mount and compressed each shock and they didn't depress back out like they did when they were new.
my question is should they automatically open back out?

Is there other ways of checking if shocks are on the way out.

I have the 3inch tough dog adjustable shock.

Any info would be great

Rock Trol
15th June 2015, 10:25 PM
They should push out again. Where they firm when you pushed them in or easy to do? A big 4wd shock should be pretty stiff and take some effort to push in.

MudRunnerTD
15th June 2015, 11:57 PM
I'm had to take the bottom mount of my rear Amada shock off to measure the open length and as soon as I leavered it off the pin it opened with force and I hade to use a jack to close it again!!!! Was a bastard!!! Your shocks are Knackered. Are they adjustable TDs?

oddkid82
16th June 2015, 08:39 AM
I could push them in laying on my back. I wasnt struggling to hard. If i tried to push and pull them as wuick as I could they seemed to get stiffer.
One was easier to push in than the other.
They are the tough dog adjustables.
When i adjusted the dial on the shocks to the softest setting they went in a bit easier.

Rock Trol
16th June 2015, 02:36 PM
Sounds like they are gone. Too soft if you are not pushing too hard. If the front end feels like its wallowing when you are driving then its the shocks for sure.

oddkid82
16th June 2015, 10:03 PM
That what I was thinking. Not to happy about it as they are only two years old and done about 60 000 kmls.

What to go with next? Was thinking about some remote res shocks

Ironman 4x4
18th June 2015, 11:45 AM
Hey Guys,
Just a quick one. need to pick your brains. I have noticed that the front end of the car seems to bounce a bit more than it use too.
So I disconnected the front shocks from the bottom shock mount and compressed each shock and they didn't depress back out like they did when they were new.
my question is should they automatically open back out?

Is there other ways of checking if shocks are on the way out.

I have the 3inch tough dog adjustable shock.

Any info would be great

On foam cell shocks there is no internal gas pressure which allows them to self extend.

Nitrogen gas based shocks self extend due to the gas pressure internally.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Rock Trol
18th June 2015, 12:04 PM
On foam cell shocks there is no internal gas pressure which allows them to self extend.

Nitrogen gas based shocks self extend due to the gas pressure internally.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

That's very interesting to know! I had not been aware of that. So basically all you can do is judge if there is enough resistance (both in and out) in the shock to do the job required.

Ironman 4x4
18th June 2015, 12:18 PM
That's very interesting to know! I had not been aware of that. So basically all you can do is judge if there is enough resistance (both in and out) in the shock to do the job required.

Yep, the big thing you want to feel for is if it gets sticky at any points in the valving. It should be a smooth movement the whole way out and in. It shouldn't be impossible to push them back in or pull out, it'll just be slow work with a decent constant pressure applied.

We actually had a shock display stand at the Explore Australia Expo and will have it at the upcoming National 4x4 Show as well (in Melbourne). It'll show you the difference in feel and valving between our foam cell pro, foam cell, nitro gas, oem and the different valvings we do for our shock varieties as well. I'd suggest checking it out, it's very informative.

If you're ever really worried, take them back to where you get them from and get the seller to have a look over them.

If we get people who's shocks feel off, we'll often throw them on the shock dyno and compare the performance to a stock shock. Obviously over time the performance will degrade from brand new, but there are expected performance levels that we'd expect to achieve - otherwise if the shock is still in warranty, it'd be a warranty claim - otherwise it's probably well and truely overdue for them to fit a new set of suspension in their vehicle.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

gremlin
26th August 2015, 05:18 PM
whats the warranty period on ironman foamcell shocks?

Ironman 4x4
26th August 2015, 05:41 PM
whats the warranty period on ironman foamcell shocks?

3 year,m 60,000km

SiberianPatrol
27th August 2015, 02:37 PM
I could push them in laying on my back. I wasnt struggling to hard. If i tried to push and pull them as wuick as I could they seemed to get stiffer.
One was easier to push in than the other.
They are the tough dog adjustables.
When i adjusted the dial on the shocks to the softest setting they went in a bit easier.
So what have you decided about the shocks? I was considering the TD adjustables for mine, but now I may look elsewhere. Does adjusting the dial help any with the sponginess of the front end or are they truly shot and time for replacement?

MyGU8
9th January 2016, 02:25 AM
Hello Matt,

Just out of curiosity, I bought a new steering damper recently and installed. Before installation I checked pushing and pulling, when I pull the damper it was difficult, but when I pushed back it was easy peasy, it just went. But when I repeated this it get stiffer both ways.

But when I checked later on the same thing again.

I have installed the damper now, do I need to take it out and check it again to see how it operates to make sure it is a good one?.

Please HELP.

Thanks

Yep, the big thing you want to feel for is if it gets sticky at any points in the valving. It should be a smooth movement the whole way out and in. It shouldn't be impossible to push them back in or pull out, it'll just be slow work with a decent constant pressure applied.

We actually had a shock display stand at the Explore Australia Expo and will have it at the upcoming National 4x4 Show as well (in Melbourne). It'll show you the difference in feel and valving between our foam cell pro, foam cell, nitro gas, oem and the different valvings we do for our shock varieties as well. I'd suggest checking it out, it's very informative.

If you're ever really worried, take them back to where you get them from and get the seller to have a look over them.

If we get people who's shocks feel off, we'll often throw them on the shock dyno and compare the performance to a stock shock. Obviously over time the performance will degrade from brand new, but there are expected performance levels that we'd expect to achieve - otherwise if the shock is still in warranty, it'd be a warranty claim - otherwise it's probably well and truely overdue for them to fit a new set of suspension in their vehicle.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Biskit
18th January 2016, 04:18 PM

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Can you please tell me where the "shock dyno" is located because I would like to get my set tested.

Are the shocks tested on or off the car?