PDA

View Full Version : Oil smell in cab on long distance drives

Patrol 1993
15th June 2015, 09:05 PM
Hi There,
Last week went on a trip from Brisvagas to central N.S.W.
On the way we started to smell oil burning.
We checked the oil level and it had dropped a few (2 or 3) millimeters.
I suspect that the engine has an oil leak near the exhaust manifold.
Or could it be that the engine that has done 207000km is starting to show signs of wear.
Can anyone shed any light on this issue.

Thanks

Neil.

mudski
15th June 2015, 09:20 PM
Does it smell like burning oil, or just the smell of oil. Engine oil too or gearbox oil smell? Check the gearstick rubber boot and make sure its not split.
I get a diff oil smell in my cab but i have a front air locker and the compressor is under the seat so i smell diff oil. Something i need to attend to....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Patrol 1993
18th June 2015, 10:04 PM
Hi Mudski,
Yes it smells of burnt oil.
but only on long trips and the oil level goes down slightly.
I thought that it might be an external oil leak onto the exhaust mainfold.
Or could it be the engine is worn, or some other thing.

Neil.

MudRunnerTD
18th June 2015, 11:17 PM
Does it smell like burning oil, or just the smell of oil. Engine oil too or gearbox oil smell? Check the gearstick rubber boot and make sure its not split.
I get a diff oil smell in my cab but i have a front air locker and the compressor is under the seat so i smell diff oil. Something i need to attend to....

Mark you can buy or make an exhaust vent extension for the ARB Solenoids to vent that out the floor. It is a horrid smell. The vent uses airlocker line and the little adapter screws over the gauze.

When i first had my lockers fitted in the GQ both were vented into the cab under the passenger seat. First trip out it was shocking!! I drove it back into the ARB Dealer and said fix it. I did not offer to pay when i picked it up and he did not ask for money. The vents should be standard issue!!.

mudski
18th June 2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks Darren i have been thinking of something like that. Now my car will be garaged for a while i can probably do so things to my car.

threedogs
25th June 2015, 02:11 PM
That the reason why a lot of ppl went off the ARB locker in favour of the Pro-locker'

@ Patrol 1993 its not just a leaking rocker cover gasket is it?
Go give it a decent steam clean and go from there.