PDA

View Full Version : EGR removal and oil catch can. Must have or not really TD42t

LKDTD6
14th June 2015, 08:52 PM
Hi guys, just got my first TD42 TD-6 intercooled GU3 wagon. 2004 model

Car has only done 160,000km and has only ever towed, after having a ore inspection done on purchase was told the injector pump has been wound up a little and the boost has been tweaked up a little, car goes quite well, feels rather powerful for a td42.

After doing heaps and heaps of reading about how to best preserve my motor and its life, I've heard here and thee that a EGR block is essential for economy and longevity as well as boost earlier, and have also read that any motor that has extra boost requires a oil catch can to minimise oil going into the cooler.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me..... Am I being led up the garden path for $$$ of mods that aren't nescessary or should I definately do these mods to get the most out of my engine and get best economy?

Any help would be appreciated.

regards
Simon

mudski
14th June 2015, 10:28 PM
Blocking the egr is essential for engine logevity. Dats true. In a nutshell, the egr recirulates hot exhaust back into the air intake. The result of this is carbon built up in the intake. Mix the carbon with hot oily cranckcase vapours, which come from the vent hose at the top of the motor to the air intake pipe, and the carbon turns into thick sludge. Which over time blocks up the intake manifold, or restricts the air flow massively.
This is where the catch can comes in. Its fitted "inline" of this hose and it filters the vapours and catches the oil...
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
15th June 2015, 08:16 AM
X 2 what Mudski says, plus a set of gauges ,EGT and Boost
will help you know whats going on under the bonnet

Val
15th June 2015, 01:44 PM
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I just bought a year 2000 Model Nissan Patrol with 3 ltr turbo diesel engine. My patrol had 180K+ kilometres on it already and the previous owner didn't do any EGR modifications. Could anyone point me to a where I can get the instruction to block the EGR and butterfly modifications?

I really need help please...

Cheer
Val