PDA

View Full Version : Got ripped off.... Feel like a d!ck...

jay see
14th June 2015, 12:37 PM
Long story short. It's looks like I brought a stolen iPhone.
Now someone is without their phone my son is out of pocket (his birthday money) and some junkie is high.
I'm kicking myself because I'm normally pretty good at buying stuff on Gumtree/eBay. Don't know why but the signs were there just didn't pick up on it. Have rang apple and without the password for the activation or a tax invoice with the iem number to I've got a brick.

4bye4
14th June 2015, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear that mate. I guess it's a sign of the times. Rippin off is easier than working for a living.

Irish
14th June 2015, 12:54 PM
Can you get the cops on the guy you bought it off?

jay see
14th June 2015, 01:15 PM
Not much point, all I've got is a disconnected mobile number.

Irish
14th June 2015, 01:18 PM
Did you collect it from them in person or get it in the post?

jay see
14th June 2015, 01:28 PM
In person in a public place

jay see
14th June 2015, 05:14 PM
Ha. Just realized that this was meant to go in the angry thread. Mods move it if you like. Or not.

threedogs
14th June 2015, 05:29 PM
There was a bit on ACA just last week about this same thing, meeting in a public place.
Damn JaySee hope you find him to have a little "talk"

mudnut
14th June 2015, 05:47 PM
"Got ripped off," very sad to hear
this has happened to you. Is there
still any usable fingerprints on the
inside of the unit?

"Feel like a dick." TMI

jay see
14th June 2015, 06:26 PM
There was a bit on ACA just last week about this same thing, meeting in a public place.
Damn JaySee hope you find him to have a little "talk"

I saw that, that's why I requested a shopping center. Don't like the chances of finding him.

"Got ripped off," very sad to hear
this has happened to you. Is there
still any usable fingerprints on the
inside of the unit?

"Feel like a dick." TMI

Haven't opened it to see the inside.
Was thinking of reselling it as "parts only", or buy another damaged one and swap things over.

And "feel like a dick" not feel like dick.:D

lucus30
14th June 2015, 07:03 PM
Ouch. Hope it wasn't too expensive. Generally I ask for the IMEI first. You can then check the status at https://prod.eie.net.au/portal/template/MYMIMEIInquiry.vm

jay see
14th June 2015, 07:25 PM
Ouch. Hope it wasn't too expensive. Generally I ask for the IMEI first. You can then check the status at https://prod.eie.net.au/portal/template/MYMIMEIInquiry.vm

Yeah, I know all that now. Hopefully someone else will get some use out of the link. Thanks for posting Lucus.

NissanGQ4.2
14th June 2015, 08:29 PM
Jailbreak it? What model crapphone?

Goto the shopping centre and see if there were any security camera's in the area you meet him if so ask management if you can have access 2 video footage 2 give 2 cops.

Clunk
14th June 2015, 08:33 PM
Yep, google how to do a factory reset. Can be done

jay see
14th June 2015, 10:02 PM
Yep, google how to do a factory reset. Can be done

Can only be done if you have the password for icloud.

The phone is locked to someone elses iTunes account, I cant do anything until it removed from that account.

jay see
14th June 2015, 10:07 PM
Cant do anything computer wont recognizes it. iPhone 5s
Goto the shopping centre and see if there were any security camera's in the area you meet him if so ask management if you can have access 2 video footage 2 give 2 cops.
Meet him in the car park away from the shops.

mudski
14th June 2015, 10:24 PM

You cant jailbreak a password locked iphone. I found an iphone 4 in the middle of the road last year. Screen was smashed but it was still on. Handed it over to the fuzz and six months later they rang me and told me to come pic it up. I was handed a legal reciept stating the phone is now mine and not the person who lost it. I put a new screen in it only to discover its locked. Took it to an applestore and they said i need to ring apple security to get it unlocked. Then apple security told me they cant and the only person who can is the original owner.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
14th June 2015, 10:47 PM
You cant jailbreak a password locked iphone. I found an iphone 4 in the middle of the road last year. Screen was smashed but it was still on. Handed it over to the fuzz and six months later they rang me and told me to come pic it up. I was handed a legal reciept stating the phone is now mine and not the person who lost it. I put a new screen in it only to discover its locked. Took it to an applestore and they said i need to ring apple security to get it unlocked. Then apple security told me they cant and the only person who can is the original owner.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

True or you need to provide a tax receipt with the phone imei number proving that you brought it. Well that's what they told me.

Did you try using the paperwork from the cops?